RIP Marshal “squirrel” Carpenter

smackmac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My wife Sonya just got off the phone with Ms Judy, and heard he had passed away today at 92. Marshal was one of the greats, and inducted in the hall of fame one pocket around 2007. As one of his longtime students, i will miss him as a good friend and a teacher.. Marshal has had COPD for a while now. Hearts and Prayers to Lil Marshal and Ms Judy and the Carpenter family here in Tuscaloosa. Just thought the pool community should know as Marshal loved pool and the players all his entire life..

Harold McAbee

MisterBanker

Appalachain American
Silver Member
Rest in peace, Tuscaloosa Squirrel.

I had started a thread about him on onepocket.org a few days ago after reading a story in Minnesota Fats' book.

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My wife Sonya just got off the phone with Ms Judy, and heard he had passed away today at 92. Marshal was one of the greats, and inducted in the hall of fame one pocket around 2007. As one of his longtime students, i will miss him as a good friend and a teacher.. Marshal has had COPD for a while now. Hearts and Prayers to Lil Marshal and Ms Judy and the Carpenter family here in Tuscaloosa. Just thought the pool community should know as Marshal loved pool and the players all his entire life..

Harold McAbee
I,m sorry to hear this,i have heard lots of good things about him and YOU too harold. I know it hurts to lose the one guy you really looked up to.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Never knew him well, but met him a few times at Derby City. We should all aspire to have as full a life in pool as did Squirrel. I remember nodding with approval when the BCA opted to induct the Janscos to the Hall of Fame. The Johnston City generation, of which Squirrel is to be counted, is gradually dying off, and they are an important, and unforgettable, part of pool's legacy.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Rest In Peace, Mr Carpenter
I heard your name countless times before I ever saw you.

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
Rest in Peace Mr. Carpenter.

92 years is a pretty solid lick though. Must have had good genes because the life these old timers lived was a tough one. Wish there were video or film of some of these guys.

So who's got the stories?

cscott67

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well........

My grandparents lived in Tuscaloosa and taught at U of A. While I was in undergrad in B'ham I would visit them on the weekends here and there. One visit I stopped in at the pool hall downtown to play, and wound up playing a local for lunch money for a couple of hours. The kid gave up and I was hanging out shooting some balls and in walks an old man with his grandson. (the kid was around my age 20-24, don't remember his name, and the old man never introduced himself)

They watched for a half hour and the kid asked to play but demanded the wild 7 in a race. I was already up 50 or 60 and said sure lets play. He didn't need the 7 and I lost the first set. He would not adjust the spot or play another set even. I told him he was a nit and if he wanted to steal he would need a gun. At that point the kid asked me if I would play the old man 1P for twenty. (I'm like 1P, what the F is that?) (didn't learn how to play 1P until after med school 10 years later)

Anyway, there was a diamond table under a cover in the corner with fast cloth and I said I would try pops on that figuring it would take him a minute to get the speed down. So, we played and I beat him to the last ball and banked it stiff into my hole and it popped out! (didn't have a clue about pocket speed back then) I lost the game and realized quickly the old man could play. I pulled up, and told them thanks for the lesson and left. (I was in school, out of stroke, and didn't see the point in donating to them if they weren't willing to match up fairly) Didn't know who they were until 15 years later after playing a lot of 1P and banks in MKE and CHI-town.

As luck would have it I ran into them years later at the DCC. I walked straight up to them and asked the kid if he still needed the 7!!!! (they both stood there speechless staring at me trying to figure out who I was) I had a full head of hair the first time I saw them, and a shaved head the second time around....... I just laughed and walked away. I hope Marshal taught the kid more than how to play. Thats my story, Doc :cool:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The Squirrel....DCC 2006

CE1DE4BB-E91F-4494-ADD7-ABF320EE0E24.jpeg

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the late '70s, eary '80s, I was young and dumb with no responsibilities to keep me from going on the road with a pool player named Geese. We went down South and encountered quite a few characters along the way. Geese had a "steer" from Georgia who took him around to different action spots.

Unlike most of today's tournament soldiers, Geese could play all games, but one-pocket was his specialty. When we left the steer and headed out on our own to Tennesee, he gave Geese some advice on who to play and who to stay away from. And the Tuscaloosa Squirrel was one of the players he told Geese to stay away from because he was that good.

Many years later in 2003, I went to the Derby City Classic (DCC) in Louisville at the old Executive West, and I had the oportunity to see this famous Tuscaloosa Squirrel. Interestingly, he was in a captains game with Cornbread Red and another player whose name escapes me at the time of this writing. They were laughing it up having a blast together.

Here is his One-Pocket Hall of Fame article: Carpender HOF

Here's a cute photo of Berle, Cornbread, and Squirrel taken at the 2003 DCC. How fitting is it that they are standing by the Action Room sign.

Wow! 92 years old. May he rest in eternal peace. I'm sure he'll be in action in heaven playing with Grady and Cornbread.

Attachments

• BandCornbreadandSquirrel (1).JPG
    BandCornbreadandSquirrel (1).JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 676
Last edited:

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1965 World All Around, Johnson City. Wished I was around back in the 1960s to see them play.

Attachments

• 65 world all round johnston city il.jpg
    65 world all round johnston city il.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 665
Last edited:

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member

Harold McAbee

Wow, I am so sorry to hear this :(

I believe that means there is no one left from that first Johnston City tournament in 1961. Danny Di wasn't in that first one, just 14 players.

He he was inducted into the One Pocket Hall of Fame back when the DCC was at the Executive West. He was funny as hell and really enjoyed himself!!!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
1965 World All Around, Johnson City. Wished I was around back in the 1960s to see them play.

Here you go (L-R) Weenie Beenie, Ronnie Allen, Eddie Taylor, Squirrel, Joe Balsis, Danny Gartner, Irving Crane and Jersey Red. ALL of them looked up to the diminutive Squirrel, who probably could beat any of them at One Pocket for the cash. Back then the only guy considered his equal was Cincinnati Clem who was on vacation at that time (early 60's).

Squirrel liked to keep a low profile and may have only played in the first couple of Johnston City events. He was there for the money, not the trophies. Even Fats showed great respect for Squirrel, who I suspect spanked him at One Pocket, like he did everyone else. One year at DCC I played Harry Platis a 2K Bank Pool match that went down to the last game (Race to Five) and Squirrel sat there and watched the whole thing. The next day he was playing Harry 1K a game One Ball One Pocket! Marshall made a nice score and he was in his 70's then.

One other thing I never forgot. I got in a healthy Hold'em game at DCC and we played in a room at the Executive West. It was a wild 10, 20 and 40 (on the River) game and it cost 500 to sit in. I waited for Scott Smith to leave and I bought all his chips, maybe 600 worth. The guy running the game was supposed to be only taking one $5 chip per hand but I caught him taking two several times. No one seemed to care though. I held my own, winning a little and then this handsome young man came in as a relief dealer. On the very first hand he dealt me A,Q suited on the button. There were raises and re-raises coming to me and I almost threw my hand away. I called $40 and six players took the flop. It came K,J,T in my suit! I had flopped a Royal Flush! There was all kinds of action and I never had to raise until the River. Without going into all the details it was easily over a thousand dollar pot. Thank you dealer!

I found out the next day that was Squirrel's grandson who dealt me my only Royal Flush ever in Hold'em. I had tipped him $10 after the hand but I saw him later that day sweating his grandpa and shook his hand and slipped him another twenty. That one hand paid for my entire trip!

Last edited:

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2006 One-pocket Hall of Fame dinner.

Attachments

• 06 one pocket hall fame dinner derby louisville ky.jpg
    06 one pocket hall fame dinner derby louisville ky.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 411