Screw-on ferrule?

petemoss

You play good!
Silver Member
My newly purchased Ed Young cue was not hitting very well. I figured the layered tips were dried out, so I took the shafts for new tips, with pads. When the cue repairman was finished with the tip and was cleaning up the ferrule, the whole ferrule fell off! There was an aluminum screw holding the ferrule to the end of the shaft. No tenon, just a screw broken off where the ferrule met the shaft end. The other half of the broken screw is still in the end of the shaft. Has anyone seen a screw-on ferrule like this? How can it be fixed?

Regards,
Pete

SQB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no prob, just bore and replace the tenon than put on a new ferrule.

But the alu screw on method in fact is interesting.

tank69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OH NO! Another Low Deflection secret has been unveiled! :)

Seriously though, that's an odd one...but easy to fix. Drill, tenon, new ferrule/tip, enjoy.

SQB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is maple heavier than alu? low deflection through out the use of a alu pin?

I doubt that!

treed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pinned ferrules

if you ever get to work on the older vikings they used this same type pinned and blocked ferrule,not ever seen many but they are out there.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There were a number of cue makers who tried the metal screws but the ones I have seen were brass screws.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Where is the aluminum screw???
I see a very undersized wooden tenon but no screw.
Where's the screw?

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That flat faced ferrule to wood method even with a steel screw proved to cause various failures back in the early days of Viking.
Then Viking went to a steel screw with a short wood tenon and that stopped a lot of the cracking problems.
Now I think they went to the wood thread tenon on the last ones I worked on.

petemoss

You play good!
Silver Member
Where is the aluminum screw???
I see a very undersized wooden tenon but no screw.
Where's the screw?

There's no wooden tenon. What you see in the middle is a broken off screw. The other half of the screw is in the end of the wooden shaft. My iphone closeup is not that clear.

Thanks to all who replied. I'm relieved that it's a simple fix. But I still wonder if Ed Young really built the shaft like that. Seems to me to be a quick and dirty repair done by someone else.

Last edited:

Poke_N_Hope

Lost in Paradise
Silver Member
Before you can drill and put a wood tenon in the shaft...you are gonna have to remove any pieces of the screw that are still n the shaft...of course you may be able to drill it out if it is truly aluminum and you chuck it up well.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
screw

Suggestion , send it back to Ed Young,
You don't know how deep the screw is set.
You don't know what's behind the screw. as in if it was bored out to be a ld shaft.
Sounds like it is possible warranty anyway.

MMike

petemoss

You play good!
Silver Member
Suggestion , send it back to Ed Young,
You don't know how deep the screw is set.
You don't know what's behind the screw. as in if it was bored out to be a ld shaft.
Sounds like it is possible warranty anyway.

MMike

Mike, I would but Ed is so damn hard to get a hold of. He never replies to emails and seldom answers his phone. I'd like to ask him if he originally installed the ferrule with a screw and if he can fix these shafts, perhaps retaper them to parabolic like my other EY cues.