The AZB New Book List

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of you know that I work in the receiving area of a large bookstore. Now everyone does.

At work, thousands and thousands of new books pass through my hands on a weekly basis. I've thought about passing along some new pool-related books from time to time. Up until now, I've only thought about it. Now I'm gonna try it.

So from now on, I'm going to try to pass along a pic in this thread of all the pool-related books I come across and their ISBN.

Be patient please. Sometimes I don't see anything pool-related for a long while, but I'll do my best to inform you guys.

Again, this will be new releases and first trade releases, new mass market books, etc. Hopefully, this thread benefits some of you guys and maybe even the authors too. :)

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sweet: An Eight-Ball Odyssey

Although this book has been out in hardcover form for a while, it just recently hit the steet in trade paper form. This picture is the new trade paper release.

Attachments

• books 003.jpg
    books 003.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 3,402

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
TX Poolnut said:
Although this book has been out in hardcover form for a while, it just recently hit the steet in trade paper form. This picture is the new trade paper release.

Her book is also on the Amazons New Kindle Reader, as is Freddy the Beards, Jeanette Lee's, Mine, and a few more that post and lurk here. Johnnyt

Last edited:

hilla_hilla

I'd rather be foosing it!
Silver Member
I LOVE to read. One day I went onto the amazon search box and typed in pool. I ended up ordering: Sweet, Stroke, The Pool Room and Runout (all novels). Any other suggestive reading (preferably novels) please post:)

JohnnyT, I clicked on your link to amazon. I'm going to order some of your books!

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hilla_hilla said:
I LOVE to read. One day I went onto the amazon search box and typed in pool. I ended up ordering: Sweet, Stroke, The Pool Room and Runout (all novels). Any other suggestive reading (preferably novels) please post:)

JohnnyT, I clicked on your link to amazon. I'm going to order some of your books!

Your post reminded me that the science fiction writer Kim Harrison has an author photo on several of her novels of her leaning on a pool table. I haven't read her books, but maybe some of her stuff happens around an occasional pool table or in a pool hall. I don't know for sure. IIRC, she only writes science fiction.

We have a series romance section of books (think Harliquin romance novels). Last months books included a book with a guy and gal leaning on a pool table. I think it was in the Blaze series, but I can't remember.

BTW, no pool books came in today.:( :( :(

Last edited:

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The School of Recreation or, The Gentlemen's Tutor, To Those Most Ingenious Exercises of Hunting, Racing, Hawking, Riding, Cock-Fighting, Fowling, Fishing, Shooting, Bowling, Tennis, Ringing, Billiards by Robert Howlett, 1684 edition printed in 2008.

I think it's been out for just a month or two. It is a fairly thin tradepaper (paperback) book and only a small portion is devoted to billiards.

I've been told The Library at Johns Hopkins University has a real first edition 1684 printing. It's kinda like reading Shakespeare only pool-related. :)

The ISBN is 143753516X.

The wood-grain picture on the front and back is nice.

Attachments

• New Pool Books 002.jpg
    New Pool Books 002.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 3,211
Last edited:

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even though this book isn't newly released, it merits mention as a pool book classic. If you haven't looked thru this book, do it!:)

This 30th anniversary edition was printed in 06 or 07. Lots of pictures for beginners.

The 99 Critical Shots in Pool (30th anniversary edition) by Ray "Cool Cat" Martin and Rosser Reeves with a new introduction by the author. The ISBN is 9780812922417.

Attachments

• New Pool Books 006.jpg
    New Pool Books 006.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 3,105
Last edited:

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Todays entry is Superstroke by Bruce Christopher. This is a new printing (2008), but I?m guessing the book has been out before. It is 168 pages with lots of pictures (all black and white). Has anyone seen this book before?

The pictures include everyone from a very young Efren Reyes to Mosconi and Fats. There are lots of pictures in this book. Many of them, I had never seen before.

The majority of the book takes on an instructional tone, but the last few chapters are full of stories and pics.

The books? ISBN is 978-1-55452-269-9. It is not a hardcover book.

The authors name rang a bell when I saw it and so I did a little research and found the article about him from Billiards Digest. http://www.billiardsdigest.com/untold_stories/bruce.php

Attachments

• Superstroke.jpg
    Superstroke.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 3,127

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just found out today that Danny Basavich's book will be rereleased in trade paper form (paperback) in October of this year.:cool: :)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
TX Poolnut said:
Todays entry is Superstroke by Bruce Christopher. This is a new printing (2008), but I?m guessing the book has been out before. It is 168 pages with lots of pictures (all black and white). Has anyone seen this book before?

The pictures include everyone from a very young Efren Reyes to Mosconi and Fats. There are lots of pictures in this book. Many of them, I had never seen before.

The majority of the book takes on an instructional tone, but the last few chapters are full of stories and pics.

The authors name rang a bell when I saw it and so I did a little research and found the article about him from Billiards Digest. http://www.billiardsdigest.com/untold_stories/bruce.php

I'd buy it just to see the pictures. Superstroke couldn't play! Not even a 'B' player.

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
TX Poolnut said:

I have an original, autographed copy from 1978. It sold for $3.95 back then. And Jay's right; the guy could not play.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
TX Poolnut said:

This book is in the Fantasy/Science Fiction dept right?

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thought you guys might like my book. Here is a copy of a link in the Wanted/For Sale area. There are many reviews on the thread. Mike H. did a review several years ago, but the link was taken down when he switched servers. Anyway, check this out: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=54724

Also, Johnnyt- do you have any information about the "Kindle" books?

Bob

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the new book by Marlene Perez titled, "Love In The Corner Pocket." The ISBN is 9780545019910. The book is 240 pages and costs $8.99 US/ $9.99 Canada.

As you may deduce from the cover, this trade paper release is aimed squarely at young readers and teen readers, preferably girls. Don't expect any new banking tracks or kicking systems here. It is in our Teen Fiction section.

I read the book in 2 hours and thought it was a neat book. Of course, the vast majority of the book is based on the relationships between the protagonist Chloe and her friends and boyfriends. Pool is only used as a backdrop to support the story. If you have a young female reader in the house, this book would make a great gift.

Happy reading and thanks for all the rep. I appreciate it.

Attachments

• New Pool Books 004.jpg
    New Pool Books 004.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,256
Last edited:

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
TX Poolnut said:
This is the new book by Marlene Perez titled, "Love In The Corner Pocket." The ISBN is 9780545019910. The book is 240 pages and costs $8.99 US/ $9.99 Canada.

As you may deduce from the cover, this trade paper release is aimed squarely at young readers and teen readers, preferably girls. Don't expect any new banking tracks or kicking systems here. It is in our Teen Fiction section.

I read the book in 2 hours and thought it was a neat book. Of course, the vast majority of the book is based on the relatinships between the protagonist Chloe and her friends and boyfriends. Pool is only used as a backdrop to support the story. If you have a young female reader in the house, this book would make a great gift.

Happy reading and thanks for all the rep. I appreciate it.

I love pool books and books in general but im not going anywhere near that one. From the cover it looks like a daniele steele book set in a pool world. :)

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Todays entry is a brand new release, in paperback form only, titled Picture Yourself Shooting Pool by Matt Sherman. Today was the first time I've seen this book. The release date was earlier this year.

The ISBN is 9781598636195. It is a hefty 340 plus pages and includes a DVD that offers 3 hours of more shots and instruction.

Some of you may know the author. He directs the University of Florida Pool League in Gainsville, FL. and he's one of the collegiate instructors involved in ACUI tourneys.

Picture Yourself Shooting Pool offers a full instructional course. I took a picture of the first pages of the table of contents so that you could kinda get a feel for what it offers. It had many more chapters than the three in the picture. Topics also include everything from gambling etiquette to rules for all sorts of games. Everything in the book is in color except a few pictures which may have been taken with black and white film. At over 340 pages, there was no fluff. I would rank this book very highly compared to some of the sports older instructional stuff.

Since I was at my job, I obviously couldn't watch the DVD, so I can't comment on it. I can say that it runs for over 3 hours according to the cover.

Today was a good day at work.

The cover price is 29.99 US/ 34.95 CANADA.

Sorry for the focus problems with my camera and thanks again for the rep ya'll.

Attachments

• Picture Yourself 01.jpg
    Picture Yourself 01.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,198
Last edited:

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the table of contents. This is just the first few chapters.:)

Attachments

• Picture Yourself 02.jpg
    Picture Yourself 02.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,216

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the back of the book. Sorry for the focus. :smile:

Attachments

• Picture Yourself 03.jpg
    Picture Yourself 03.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,201