Ronnie O'Sullivan vs American Pool Player?

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
I have only ever seen a video of him playing against Earl Strickland but how do you think he would favor against Americans playing 9 ball or 8 ball. He is by far one of the best cueist ever know, but I wonder how good he knows American pool.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He plays pool well, to put it simply to you sir, you play him against whoever you like from America, someone thats good, and he will win some, and lose some, just like any other A+ graded player versus another A+ graded player, afterall it's pool.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If he had spent the time on pool that he has spent on snooker, I imagine he would be one of the best.

But as just an occasional pool player, he has been mediocre. Two examples:

• He played in 2 Mosconi Cups (9-Ball), 1996 and 1997 (at ages 21 and 22). His record was 2 wins and 3 losses in singles and 2 wins and 2 losses in doubles.

• He played in one of the IPT 8-Ball events, the North Am. Open in Las Vegas in 2006 (at age 30). He won 5 of his 13 matches and 50% of his games with a break-and-run percentage of about 14%.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He would get killed playing rotations against any top 10 caliber american guy.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He would get killed playing rotations against any top 10 caliber american guy.
Something like American Rotation would suit him much better than 8,9 or 10 ball. His break and lack of tactical knowledge are huge disadvantages in those games.

Play American Rotation on those Chinese 8 Ball tables and I think he'd beat nearly all the top US pros.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's simple If he tomorrow decide to play nothing but American rotation by this time next year he would be dominating everyone. Hell he plays even with them not playing the game and using a snooker cue. There is no American player that even be competitive playing snooker. As I've said before in these arguments snooker players make rock star money. If they could play it over our broke system of low payout tournaments they would. But they can't .... And they know it.

Ronnie is a freak of nature... The greatest cueist ever seen.

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The important aspect of Mr. O'Sullivan's game isn't who he could or could not be beat...
What needs to be respected is that IF Mr. O'Sullivan was to take Pool serious (e.g. practice solid and sole on Pool for 12-18 months) then he would EAT ALL COMERS ALIVE.
Simply put - there would be NO SAFE BALL in his game.
:thumbup:

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Against your average pro playing a race to 7 or 9 Ronnie certainly has a chance to win
at 9-ball (espescially with Magic Rack).

Change it to a game where a good break is important and his chances decrease dramatically
against average pro's and he becomes a distinct underdog against top pro's.

Change the length of the race to, say, 15 and he has very, very little chance to win 1 race
against the likes of Shane, Dennis, Niels, Darren.

I have seen Ronnie play and practice pool in person for a few hours and was not impressed.

I have seen him play countless hours of snooker and Ronnie it top form is so good it is poetry in motion.

gr. Dave

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The important aspect of Mr. O'Sullivan's game isn't who he could or could not be beat...
What needs to be respected is that IF Mr. O'Sullivan was to take Pool serious (e.g. practice solid and sole on Pool for 12-18 months) then he would EAT ALL COMERS ALIVE.
Simply put - there would be NO SAFE BALL in his game.
:thumbup:
If Ronnie had been born in the US, he'd have probably got a job when he was 18 and be one of those great bar players who could'a been a champion.

Making a few hundred grand and sometimes more a year tends to inspire people. If there were a dozen US players making $200k and beyond a year, the talent pool would be much bigger and the elite, much better.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
in the USA "anyone can beat anyone"

If Ronnie had been born in the US, he'd have probably got a job when he was 18 and be one of those great bar players who could'a been a champion.

Making a few hundred grand and sometimes more a year tends to inspire people. If there were a dozen US players making $200k and beyond a year, the talent pool would be much bigger and the elite, much better.

That's a good point, and the way the rules and races are in the USA "anyone can beat anyone". Playing a 10 ahead set might be a different story, especially playing more skillful rules that would require unusual pocket billiard knowledge.

Ronnie is a great snooker champion, however, pocket billiards by the original rules is equally challenging.......and different to master. Cue sports are each very unique, especially when someone compares pool, snooker and billiards.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a good point, and the way the rules and races are in the USA "anyone can beat anyone". Playing a 10 ahead set might be a different story, especially playing more skillful rules that would require unusual pocket billiard knowledge.

Ronnie is a great snooker champion, however, pocket billiards by the original rules is equally challenging.......and different to master. Cue sports are each very unique, especially when someone compares pool, snooker and billiards.

There is no question in my mind he's closer to playing top tier pool than any pool player is playing top tier snooker

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
Whoever says Ronnie would dominate pool if he took it seriously doesn't know what it takes to play really good pool. Ronnie is a great shot maker and he controls the cue ball well, but there is nothing he does better than the top pool players already do that will make a significant difference.

Sure he can laser in 10 ft+ shots better than just about anyone else, but in a game of professional pool, those kind of shots only rarely decide the outcome of a pool game, much less an entire match and the top pros aren't bad at those kind of shots themselves.

What wins in pool is a good break and making as few unforced errors as possible, both of which the current top pros already do about as well as is humanly possible. They also are well versed at pool safeties and kicks, both of which are very different than their snooker counterparts.

No doubt he would make a very good pool player, possibly even become a top pro depending on if he can get the break down, but to think he would become decidedly better than Ko Pin Yi, Shane Van Boening, Alex Pagulayan, Darren Appleton, etc. in a relatively short time is laughable.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
It's a moot point, he plays snooker, Americans play pool. They are 2 different animals. It's like asking who would win in a battle between Godzilla & King Kong, really doesn't matter, never going to happen.

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whoever says Ronnie would dominate pool if he took it seriously doesn't know what it takes to play really good pool. Ronnie is a great shot maker and he controls the cue ball well, but there is nothing he does better than the top pool players already do that will make a significant difference.

Sure he can laser in 10 ft+ shots better than just about anyone else, but in a game of professional pool, those kind of shots only rarely decide the outcome of a pool game, much less an entire match and the top pros aren't bad at those kind of shots themselves.

What wins in pool is a good break and making as few unforced errors as possible, both of which the current top pros already do about as well as is humanly possible. They also are well versed at pool safeties and kicks, both of which are very different than their snooker counterparts.

No doubt he would make a very good pool player, possibly even become a top pro depending on if he can get the break down, but to think he would become decidedly better than Ko Pin Yi, Shane Van Boening, Alex Pagulayan, Darren Appleton, etc. in a relatively short time is laughable.

I read above....

He played in 2 Mosconi Cups (9-Ball), 1996 and 1997 (at ages 21 and 22). His record was 2 wins and 3 losses in singles and 2 wins and 2 losses in doubles.

So not even playing pool and he has an average record in the Mosconi Cup. And that was back when the US were dominating. I have no doubt he would compete with the top pros if he dedicated some time to pool. Man is a genius with a cue in his hand...

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
I read above....

He played in 2 Mosconi Cups (9-Ball), 1996 and 1997 (at ages 21 and 22). His record was 2 wins and 3 losses in singles and 2 wins and 2 losses in doubles.

So not even playing pool and he has an average record in the Mosconi Cup. And that was back when the US were dominating. I have no doubt he would compete with the top pros if he dedicated some time to pool. Man is a genius with a cue in his hand...

The Mosconi Cup is the Mosconi Cup. Not only are the matches races to 5, but iff he was in a tournament, he would have been out before he had the chance to get his 3rd loss (and well before the money in most tournaments). That is a loooooong way from dominating the US in pool, much less the world.

Pool, 9 ball and 10 ball at least, are, by design, games that can not be dominated in the long run. A player may play stellar for a few weeks or months and seem unbeatable, but eventually probability will catch back up to him.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
What's funny is that everybody keeps mentioning players that aren't from America except Shane. Lol.
He has a chance playing their game, they have NO chance playing his.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he's a headcase pity party look at me love me love me twit

greatest snooker "talent" ever actually all cue sports imo , still never really matched what Hendry did, or Efren/Earl in pool, or the carom greats

limited pool experience with less than stellar results,

not as good in pool as Selby

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read above....

Exactly. Cut and dry. No practice and played with a snooker cue and he played even. Send svb over there to play snooker and I'll bet all I have and give you a spot he will get destroyed. American rotation on a 9 ft table with bucket pockets is a child's game compared to snooker.

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Mosconi Cup is the Mosconi Cup. Not only are the matches races to 5, but iff he was in a tournament, he would have been out before he had the chance to get his 3rd loss (and well before the money in most tournaments). That is a loooooong way from dominating the US in pool, much less the world.

Pool, 9 ball and 10 ball at least, are, by design, games that can not be dominated in the long run. A player may play stellar for a few weeks or months and seem unbeatable, but eventually probability will catch back up to him.

I never suggested he would dominate, but that he would join that elite group of players that are at the business end of tournaments. Hell a washed up Steve Davis was able to give the pool players a good run, I don't know why do don't think Ronnie could...