CHICAGO - Surge Coffee Bar and Billiards

gweempose

Registered
Has anyone been here during the day yet? Trying to get an idea how crowded it is as I'm trying to find a place to meet Scott for a lesson during the week.

I was there last Thursday around 3:00, and it wasn't crowded at all. I'd say maybe five of the tables were being used at most. It's a really nice place, and the tables are pretty much mint. It would be perfect for a lesson.

Threat

Registered
I was there last Thursday around 3:00, and it wasn't crowded at all. I'd say maybe five of the tables were being used at most. It's a really nice place, and the tables are pretty much mint. It would be perfect for a lesson.

Yeah, if you don't mind paying $13 per hour for their daytime rate :cool: While at legendary Chris's Billiards which is 7 minutes away from Surge, you pay a flat $10 for the entire day.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Yeah, if you don't mind paying $13 per hour for their daytime rate :cool: While at legendary Chris's Billiards which is 7 minutes away from Surge, you pay a flat $10 for the entire day.

For how badass that room looks I am quite sure I would pay more. I am thinkin $20 an hour would be the most I would pay. IMO is the nicest looking room I have seen and I am sure those GC5 tops play great!

Mr. Bond, I will surely be in touch next month when I will be out your way! Thanks

Trent from Toledo

HUKIT

F* ks Given...Zero
Silver Member

Is that per person? My local Shooters charges $9 so thats not unreasonable considering the location. I’ll be there tomorrow.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
OH MY!!!! I am so sad to hear. Being that I am in the Brunswick restoration business I really hoped I would make it out to meet him :( We definitely have a serious loss of a true historian... Who will be taking over his place??

Trent from Toledo

Nobody knows yet ??

But, let me know when you go to the new pool hall, I'd like to see it and play a few games on those nice tables :)

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

So I can drive 2 1/2 hours south and easily visit both of these pool rooms in the same afternoon?? That would be fantastic!! Hopefully when I come down I can find a local member here to play a few games.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great day at Surge!

Yesterday i had the pleasure of working with an AzBr at the new poolroom in Chicago...Surge! Open just a month, the owners have done a spectacular job redoing the old Maries Golden Cue into a new iteration, and new life, as Surge. It's a great room...plenty of room around the tables (all 9' Brunswick Gold Crown tables). The tables were refurbished with new cushions and cloth, and new tops...keeping the slate and frame intact from the old tables. Even the old billiard table (which was beyond repair) has found new life as bookends for the long bench style tables, and a new ten seat table, made from the skirts of the old Brunswick! The tables play well...the pockets are generous, but that is to be expected, for the customers they hope to attract, including business professionals, several of which were there while we were. They also have league play on 9' tables, which is enjoyable to many. Something amazing that I haven't seen at ANY other poolroom anywhere...6 bathrooms, all of which are gender neutral! Open at 7am every day, Surge is a great place to stop in, have a great cup of coffee, and any of an array of pastries. In the evenings they also serve food! A great bar, with all the choices, local crafted beers, and great service! If you're looking for a very nice experience, stop in and see the crew at Surge! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Yesterday i had the pleasure of working with an AzBr at the new poolroom in Chicago...Surge! Open just a month, the owners have done a spectacular job redoing the old Maries Golden Cue into a new iteration, and new life, as Surge. It's a great room...plenty of room around the tables (all 9' Brunswick Gold Crown tables). The tables were refurbished with new cushions and cloth, and new tops...keeping the slate and frame intact from the old tables. Even the old billiard table (which was beyond repair) has found new life as bookends for the long bench style tables, and a new ten seat table, made from the skirts of the old Brunswick! The tables play well...the pockets are generous, but that is to be expected, for the customers they hope to attract, including business professionals, several of which were there while we were. They also have league play on 9' tables, which is enjoyable to many. Something amazing that I haven't seen at ANY other poolroom anywhere...6 bathrooms, all of which are gender neutral! Open at 7am every day, Surge is a great place to stop in, have a great cup of coffee, and any of an array of pastries. In the evenings they also serve food! A great bar, with all the choices, local crafted beers, and great service! If you're looking for a very nice experience, stop in and see the crew at Surge! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Hey Scott! I got my visit in a couple of days ago and was VERY IMPRESSED. This room is my favorite of all I have seen. I met the owner and he is a very nice guy and really has a good vision of what pool should look like in the year 2018 and forward! The decor is very sleek. All matching lighting and furniture through out. The tables play great and the place was PACKED! Lots of ladies!! Anyone who has not been there yet should make it a point to get in there. TOP NOTCH!!!

Trent from Toledo