Do we brown-nose the Filipinos about some thing??

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
This is spot on. The Filipinos use this shot more often than any other group of players. The main reason is likely because they're so short and can't reach as many shots.

Avg Male Height:
USA: 5'-9.5"
Philippines: 5'-4.5"

The Vietnamese are in the same height range and are not noted for behind the back play.
I have a feeling the Pinoy way arose from rooms that don’t have rests.
...many rooms in the USA handled that problem by allowing players to climb on the tables.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first time I saw a pro do that was Francisco Bustamante. He’s pretty tall. Can argue with his game.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Vietnamese are in the same height range and are not noted for behind the back play.
I have a feeling the Pinoy way arose from rooms that don’t have rests.
...many rooms in the USA handled that problem by allowing players to climb on the tables.

When I lived in the PI, most of them didn't use a rest...even if one was available...they climbed on the tables.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Bustamante shoots behind the back more often than the other guys because he doesn't shoot opposite handed as well as the other guys.
Luat was the same.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
"He's going to shoot it the Filipino style" or "He's shooting it the way the Filipinos do".

WTF???

I played my first games of pool on our garage table back in 1965.

And yes...I realize that the Filipinos are some of the world's greatest players and have done some things that changed pool in America. But, not everything.

Maniac

Maniac

As others have mentioned, it's a Bustamante thing, whose approach and technique then has been proliferated amongst Filipinos. It's not just that he goes behind his back. He goes behind his back on a wide range of shots with every imaginable cuts and position play. When the vast majority of players were going behind their back, the shot almost always is relatively straight forward with minimal cue ball demands.

Every player has obviously done the behind the back thing, and the first pro player I saw on TV do it was Mary Kenniston in the Brunswick World 9-ball Championship (which she won). But, it was a relatively simple shot, as would be expected.

It was really Bustamante more than anyone else that sort of showed that certain shots, going behind the back isn't just a bar room show off maneuver, but actually is the right shot in certain situations, and that those shots aren't limited to simple ones. You'll see Alex (who can shoot left handed pretty well, and can use the bridge very well) will also go behind the back on certain shots.

Freddie <~~~ pinoy with no behind the back skills

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
When I lived in the PI, most of them didn't use a rest...even if one was available...they climbed on the tables.
I used to see the same thing at Hawaiian Brian's in Honolulu - players would climb up and sit cross-legged in the middle of the table for some shots.

pj
chgo

pocketsplitter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reason why I ask is because on at least four different live streams/Youtube videos of pool matches, this is what I've heard...and I'm paraphrasing to make all four sound approximately the same: An American player goes to shoot a ball from behind his back and the commentator says something like "He's going to shoot it the Filipino style" or "He's shooting it the way the Filipinos do".

WTF???

I played my first games of pool on our garage table back in 1965. I shot behind my back way back then without knowing that there even were pool players from the Philippine Islands. Heck, I only heard of the Philippine Islands because of my studies of WWII from History class and from Geography class.

That said, I'm quite sure that I wasn't the first American player to shoot behind my back. I'd be willing to bet that shooting behind the back goes back a lo-o-o-ng way, probably back to European players.

So why are we so enamored to give credit for it to the Philippine players like Efren R. and Jose P. who used it when necessary in a tournament or action match?

Sometimes it seem like we've got our noses stuck up their a$$es by giving them credit for things that have been going on for years. It doesn't bother me...just wondering what people are thinking when they give credit where credit isn't due.

And yes...I realize that the Filipinos are some of the world's greatest players and have done some things that changed pool in America. But, not everything.

Maniac

Maniac

Why do you care so much. Chinese invented almost everything and you don't see ppl giving us credit. so what if it wasn't the filipinos, they prly popularized it by how much they did it on recorded tournaments...

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to see the same thing at Hawaiian Brian's in Honolulu - players would climb up and sit cross-legged in the middle of the table for some shots.

pj
chgo

I haven't seen anybody do it lately, but it is common when some of the locals are gambling. There are a few who refuse to play if they aren't allowed to climb on the table and it isn't, necessarily, because they are short. I think they grew up playing that way here in Hawaii..

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Some very good answers/explanations so far (except for those that want to be condescending towards my OP for the sake of making themselves feel superior).

I'm beginning to see the reasoning behind my original question.

Maniac

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt that you have ever seen Efren shoot behind the back. He could switch to his left hand seamlessly.

I was thinking this, too..efren is very good with his left hand, while his compadre, francisco busty does shoot behind the back, and well.

personally, I was shooting behind the back as a kid, well before I knew anything about pool, but I honestly don't know where that habit originated.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As others have mentioned, it's a Bustamante thing, whose approach and technique then has been proliferated amongst Filipinos. It's not just that he goes behind his back. He goes behind his back on a wide range of shots with every imaginable cuts and position play. When the vast majority of players were going behind their back, the shot almost always is relatively straight forward with minimal cue ball demands.

Every player has obviously done the behind the back thing, and the first pro player I saw on TV do it was Mary Kenniston in the Brunswick World 9-ball Championship (which she won). But, it was a relatively simple shot, as would be expected.

It was really Bustamante more than anyone else that sort of showed that certain shots, going behind the back isn't just a bar room show off maneuver, but actually is the right shot in certain situations, and that those shots aren't limited to simple ones. You'll see Alex (who can shoot left handed pretty well, and can use the bridge very well) will also go behind the back on certain shots.

Party up front AND behind the back.

3c527f581c2bcd94a1e96247bf3dc81a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
as others have mentioned, it's a bustamante thing, whose approach and technique then has been proliferated amongst filipinos. It's not just that he goes behind his back. He goes behind his back on a wide range of shots with every imaginable cuts and position play. When the vast majority of players were going behind their back, the shot almost always is relatively straight forward with minimal cue ball demands.

Every player has obviously done the behind the back thing, and the first pro player i saw on tv do it was mary kenniston in the brunswick world 9-ball championship (which she won). But, it was a relatively simple shot, as would be expected.

It was really bustamante more than anyone else that sort of showed that certain shots, going behind the back isn't just a bar room show off maneuver, but actually is the right shot in certain situations, and that those shots aren't limited to simple ones. You'll see alex (who can shoot left handed pretty well, and can use the bridge very well) will also go behind the back on certain shots.

FRANCISCO BUSTAMANTE 1111.jpg..................

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Reason why I ask is because on at least four different live streams/Youtube videos of pool matches, this is what I've heard...and I'm paraphrasing to make all four sound approximately the same: An American player goes to shoot a ball from behind his back and the commentator says something like "He's going to shoot it the Filipino style" or "He's shooting it the way the Filipinos do".

WTF???

I played my first games of pool on our garage table back in 1965. I shot behind my back way back then without knowing that there even were pool players from the Philippine Islands. Heck, I only heard of the Philippine Islands because of my studies of WWII from History class and from Geography class.

That said, I'm quite sure that I wasn't the first American player to shoot behind my back. I'd be willing to bet that shooting behind the back goes back a lo-o-o-ng way, probably back to European players.

So why are we so enamored to give credit for it to the Philippine players like Efren R. and Jose P. who used it when necessary in a tournament or action match?

Sometimes it seem like we've got our noses stuck up their a$$es by giving them credit for things that have been going on for years. It doesn't bother me...just wondering what people are thinking when they give credit where credit isn't due.

Maniac

Maniac

The first good player I ever saw shoot behind his back was Cornbread Red, and he was damn good at it. He used that shot effectively playing One Pocket on more than one occasion. Boston Shorty was also adapt at shooting behind his back. I never saw Leon Yonders play, but he may have been the best ever.

The first Filipino I saw shoot this way was Filipino Gene from San Francisco who no one could beat shooting behind their back. He was the best of his era in this country, even better than Cornbread. I would have liked to see him match up gambling with Yonders but I doubt it ever happened.

What separates the Filipinos from all the others is not just that they use this type of shot frequently. It is how well they shoot these shots. They are by far the most skillful I've seen shooting behind their backs. It is this high level of skill that makes them stand out for mention when referring to behind the back shots.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Matt Poland....what a great picture you came up with...

CE9C5AC4-FB97-4CED-96B4-49BB88A6DCDD.jpg

He looks like he could give Mick Jagger the last five at being a rock star also.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard commentators say that too.

I don't think they're saying the Filipinos invented the technique, just that they seemed to be more likely to use it than others. Most other top players shoot opposite-hand instead of behind the back.

Exactly. Sang Lee was doing the behind the back thing 30 years ago, in the 3C world, where it was remarked on as unusual, but no one thought he invented it.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
slim and bendy helps!

I first saw somebody shoot behind their back in a pool hall in the sixties. Seemed kinda cool and useful too so I practiced it and used it sometimes. That was fifty or sixty pounds ago! Francisco was shooting behind his back when he was young and very slim. Unlike most, he never stopped. Those shots I used to shoot behind my back, I now put the cue on the left side but reach across my front and use either a soft stroke or a darting motion like a jump shot to shoot harder.

The Filipinos as a group have always had a more flamboyant free wheeling style of play not counting the original invader, Parica, who always seemed low key, so anything seen as flashy or high risk is likely to be credited as Filipino style. I don't care. I have never shot artistic pool and nobody has ever given me or my opponents points for style.

Hu

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone that idolizes Philippinos because of pool obviously has not spent time in the Philippines.

Over there, it's not a game..... it's a job.

If something is your job, well..... your gonna be more serious with it since it determines whether you and your family eats or not.

If something is a HOBBY, well.... need I say more.

As for the behind the back, lol who knows who the first to do it was.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone that idolizes Philippinos because of pool obviously has not spent time in the Philippines.

Over there, it's not a game..... it's a job.

If something is your job, well..... your gonna be more serious with it since it determines whether you and your family eats or not.

If something is a HOBBY, well.... need I say more.

As for the behind the back, lol who knows who the first to do it was.

I'll also add, I FEEL SORRY for most Philippinos that I've known. Their living conditions AS A WHOLE are WWWAAAYYY below what we call poor.

That is a very good reason to make money in pool, since they can't go to Walmart and get a job....

EDIT: I was watching the MC and posted while watching, and posted off topic..... even if my topic is true... lol..

Sorry,

Rake

Last edited: