** Mosconi Cup is a Joke ? - What do you think **

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why are we not playing team England or Greece, etc.
why do they get to choose from all of Europe and we only get the U.S. European population is like double the U.S. And if we included all of North America we would still have a smaller pool to choose from.

My feeling for years is they didn't want us having that little Canadian named Pagulayan on the team. I just feel it's so unfair and biased by match room.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
why do they get to choose from all of Europe and we only get the U.S. European population is like double the U.S. And if we included all of North America we would still have a smaller pool to choose from.

My feeling for years is they didn't want us having that little Canadian named Pagulayan on the team. I just feel it's so unfair and biased by match room.

it is a knock off of the Ryder Cup! No mexico or canada in that. They just kept the same format. Nothing personal and Pagulayan was not on the pool scene when the cup began, if memory serves me???

KD

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it is a knock off of the Ryder Cup! No mexico or canada in that. They just kept the same format. Nothing personal and Pagulayan was not on the pool scene when the cup began, if memory serves me???

KD

Maybe true, but most things need overhauls thrust life. THe Ryder cup is not fair either in my opinion.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
There are way more pool players in the US than in Europe.

One English poster estimated that just 1,000 people in England play nine ball, and yet a Team England of:Appleton, Boyes, Melling, Peach, and Gray would likely be slightly favored over any Team USA. We've got seven times the population of England and probably have over 1,000 times more nine ball players.

There's more to it than population.

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
When they started this event they needed all of Europe and more !!!

Remember when ?

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are way more pool players in the US than in Europe.

One English poster estimated that just 1,000 people in England play nine ball, and yet a Team England of:Appleton, Boyes, Melling, Peach, and Gray would likely be slightly favored over any Team USA. We've got seven times the population of England and probably have over 1,000 times more nine ball players.

There's more to it than population.

Besides, this belongs in the excuse thread.

Last edited:

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

KD

I don't know about all that! :wink:

The Mosconi Cup began in 1994 and Alex was 42 and on top of his game at this point. I do believe the OP could be on to something here. :rolleyes::eek:

I realize this thread was made in jest but seriously, why look to change the rules and conditions now? I think BH is trying to let us win to some degree. He did away with the break rule that has plagued the contest for so long and let us pick our own team. We dogged it plain and simple. Too many missed shots and poor safety play!

WE will win the cup within the next 4 years (I hope)! Mark learned a great deal from this cup and I honestly believe he will make the correct changes for next year should he come back as Captain.

I'm only kidding about Alex. He was born in '76!

Gary

nvyus

Registered

Lets ban US, China and India from the Olympics its not fair they have bigger populations to choose from than the Individual European Nations.
You see how absurd your excuse is?

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Nobody complains about the population excuse during the Olympics when the US is stock piling gold like an 1849 miner ;)

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
They had a fairly strong team this year... they really did.
Other than Hall, they just couldn't handle the pressures of the MC.... plain and simple.

They choked.... Then, they choked again.....and again. Every time it looked like the match was starting to go their way, another easy missed ball.

Look at all the missed balls.... Day 1 Corey missed at least 4 easy shots. 2 of of those misses were hangers...... Then Bergy and the scratch, and then that straight in 7-ball the next day.........then John......then Shane.....way, way to many easy shots were missed..... PRESSURE. They couldn't handle the pressure.

How can you beat a champion, in a race to 5, when you DOG-IT.....

You can't.

Reactions: sjm

nvyus

Registered
In all honesty both teams missed a lot of shots and got bad rolls, the big difference was Europe punished the US for it, where as US let them off time and again.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep!

They had a fairly strong team this year... they really did.
Other than Hall, they just couldn't handle the pressures of the MC.... plain and simple.

They choked.... Then, they choked again.....and again. Every time it looked like the match was starting to go their way, another easy missed ball.

Look at all the missed balls.... Day 1 Corey missed at least 4 easy shots. 2 of of those misses were hangers...... Then Bergy and the scratch, and then that straight in 7-ball the next day.........then John......then Shane.....way, way to many easy shots were missed..... PRESSURE. They couldn't handle the pressure.

How can you beat a champion, in a race to 5, when you DOG-IT.....

You can't.

I think that says it all!

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We dont have Pro Players

We have some good players, we just have to many "Near Pro Players" and not enough "Pro Players". We should rethink our expectation and realize that if we put a team together that gets close and provides some entertainment, we've done good based on the players we can put on the field.

The Euro's can bring 3 maybe 4 full 5 man teams. We cant put together 1.

The USA has 3 guys that can play consistent "Pro Level Pool" and that's it, SVB, ARCHER AND RODNEY.

Lots of young guys in the Hunt, maybe next year?

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Canada does have a couple of players that could make the grade.

Certainly, there is no lack of Filipinos here, and most of them actually play pretty sporty.

I dunno bout that Alex guy that you speak of tho.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Canada does have a couple of players that could make the grade.

Certainly, there is no lack of Filipinos here, and most of them actually play pretty sporty.

I dunno bout that Alex guy that you speak of tho.

Pagulayan would not be as deserving as Jason Klatt, who came 3rd in the 2014 Derby City 9-ball and 7th in the 2014 US Open 9-ball.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted an overlay map showing how much smaller Europe is compared to the US a while back. The first thing someone replied with was about the population difference, and while the argument can be made that having a larger group to choose from, could be an insurmountable obstacle, the reality of it IMO, is that the only population statistic that means anything, is the number of good pro level players. And with that, Europe beats us regardless of general population numbers. The Phiilipines beats us in that criteria with a third of the population as the US.
On the world stage we have lost our competitive edge. 25-30 years ago, the rest of the world was no where near the level that exists now. We had almost all the heavy hitters, Mizerak, Strickland, Sigel, Hall, Varner, Hopkins, Rempe etc etc etc. The rest of the world caught up and left the US in the dust. Blame it on whatever you like, the reasons are almost endless as to why. The real question is what can be done to change it. And while this MC, with this new concept of bringing in new blood and "training methods" was fruitless this time around, I honestly believe Mark Wilson is onto something here. The future of the game is youth involvement and rebuilding a competetive culture that looks beyond our borders. The measuring stick changed a long time ago, but we never converted to keep up.
Congrats to the players on both sides, hopefully in time we will start seeing some gains from coming at it with a fresh perspective.
Chuck

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Why are we playing at all? They stunk up Blackpool. Speaking of Alex or Klatt, or some dumb European country border is just avoiding the issue. Besides, if we weren't playing Europe those drunk fools wouldn't be able to sound like retards shouting Euuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooopppppppppppppppppppppppppppe.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
I was at work and didn't check the final score.
To Joe: Yes it does suck when we can't get a W, but that can change I hope. Let's keep it the same for now.

To Nvyus: Population is irrelevant for some sports in the Olympics because the athletes are paid to practice and play by the country. Probably when billiards is added to the Olympics the same will be true.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
i think:

1) ChuckFields gave me a lesson in geography & demographics a few months ago

2) don't piss-off Barry Hearn