Louis Roberts award

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard of a 9ball race to 15 for ten dollars.
Willing to provide names if they are in the running.:grin-square:

Honestly little noise about action.

or1pkt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They've dodged Eric Durbin for years, be nice if he was in the running at least but judging by the past it's always been a shady popularity contest. IMO

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
They've dodged Eric Durbin for years, be nice if he was in the running at least but judging by the past it's always been a shady popularity contest. IMO

If I could, I'd have as winners for their year:

Jack Cooney/James Walden as co-winners
Keith McCready
Eric Durbin

The Louie Roberts A&E award was as much about what these guys meant to the early years of the action at the Derby as what Louie Roberts was all about.

If the award had existed, these three (okay, four) would have been landslide winners.

Durbin's year, some people remember it as the Durbin City Classic.

Unfortunately, he did his thing before the award started, and Keith stopped going to the event

Freddie <~~~ oh, the memories

or1pkt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I could, I'd have as winners for their year:

Jack Cooney/James Walden as co-winners
Keith McCready
Eric Durbin

The Louie Roberts A&E award was as much about what these guys meant to the early years of the action at the Derby as what Louie Roberts was all about.

If the award had existed, these three (okay, four) would have been landslide winners.

Durbin's year, some people remember it as the Durbin City Classic.

Unfortunately, he did his thing before the award started, and Keith stopped going to the event

Freddie <~~~ oh, the memories
Don't get me wrong I am not knocking the effort I just look at it (at least in my view) that the award should go to a true grinder that is in the mix year round not just for a few days. I feel someone should get it that really deserves and "needs" it. I mean for example Dippy Dave and Jeanette Lee can afford a room At the derby any time and won't necessarily be there year to year where as a Durb has really earned it and is a devoted grinder...

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you take out the past winners, I saw 4 players in a lot of action.

Durbin, Shannon Murphy, Nick H, and TJ.

If you add the "entertainment" component into the mix its clearly Durbin. If anyone saw the late night 1 ball action he had with Kenny the russian you got all the entertainment you could handle. Durbin would be in action for 9 straight days if he had the resources. Not only do I think he is the clear winner this year, he deserves it retro actively for all those old Ex west days.

This is all IMO of course.

Ian

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
?

Who's dodging Eric Durbin? Are you suggesting that he cant get a game or that no one recognizes his gamble?

or1pkt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you take out the past winners, I saw 4 players in a lot of action.

Durbin, Shannon Murphy, Nick H, and TJ.

If you add the "entertainment" component into the mix its clearly Durbin. If anyone saw the late night 1 ball action he had with Kenny the russian you got all the entertainment you could handle. Durbin would be in action for 9 straight days if he had the resources. Not only do I think he is the clear winner this year, he deserves it retro actively for all those old Ex west days.

This is all IMO of course.

Ian
Great post. The action award needs to go to charisma more than anything and love him or hate him Durb has that. And in the list of past winners (I won't mention names) but there are some that are just not likable. I mean really they have dubbed it the "Durbin City Classic" more than once yet he still hasn't got it.

or1pkt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who's dodging Eric Durbin? Are you suggesting that he cant get a game or that no one recognizes his gamble?

The voting powers that be are dodging him. Of course he can get a game he always makes something happen and tends to either loose or out run the nuts, it's called the action and entertainment award. Clearly he fits the bill...

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
The voting powers that be are dodging him. Of course he can get a game he always makes something happen and tends to either loose or out run the nuts, it's called the action and entertainment award. Clearly he fits the bill...

There is no voting powers that ever dodged him. As I said, the one year that he would have been the landslide winner, the award didn't exist yet.

He's had other good years, and has received plenty of votes over the years.

Last edited:

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sadly, I missed DCC this yar after going since 2001. I remember the Ex West days well and remember "Durbin's year" well to. He had several years there he was the show but one year really stood out.

I voted for Durbin last year I think but don't recall him even being among the top vote-getters. As said here already, love him or hate him he stays in action, entertaining and a charismatic guy to boot.

He deserves it. And truth be known his gambling at Ex West DCC is in part why the award even exists today.

I really hated missing the show this year but will be there next year. All aside, if Durbin is in the running then hopefully some of the voters remember all the gambling he did at EX West and make a retro vote for him.

GreenFeltguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Randy Whalen

I think it should go to someone who bets their own cash and for the past 4 or 5 years I think that would be Randy Whalen of New Orleans who bets $4,000 a game like most play $500 sets. Certainly Randy don't play like James Walden, Keith McCready, or Eric Durbin but he always bets his own cash and that should stand for something, nothing against the guys I mentioned who are all my friends.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it should go to someone who bets their own cash and for the past 4 or 5 years I think that would be Randy Whalen of New Orleans who bets $4,000 a game like most play $500 sets. Certainly Randy don't play like James Walden, Keith McCready, or Eric Durbin but he always bets his own cash and that should stand for something, nothing against the guys I mentioned who are all my friends.

I agree, if it was just the "action" award, Randy, Kirkus and Josh A. should all be front runners. IMO they are missing the entertainment portion of the award. How many people at the Derby could even pick these guys out in a line up? And a good bit of their action was behind closed doors.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Anyone who suggests that Freddie hasn't run this fairly is out of line. It's really simple, people who were there get to vote on the players in the running. Durbin has been in the running many times and didn't get the votes.

Freddie can't MAKE people vote a certain way. And those of us who weren't there can't vote. Believe me when I say that action and entertainment goes down there that isn't reported here and really almost can't accurately be conveyed.

That's why only people who were there get to vote. And honestly the people who were there AND who stayed around the action rooms most of the time really have the best idea of who was in the mix the whole time providing the most entertainment. There have been times I was there and barely saw any of the action and so didn't feel qualified to vote even if I could have.