Please please please just ignore them. please.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
In the 6 years I've been on this forum, it feels like at least once a year at least one person signs on and completely hijacks the forum. Between the million threads they start and their controversial comments, it stirs the forum into an absolute uproar.

Please lets do our best to ignore these people. You can't argue with them, and constantly responding is essentially scratching a mosquito bite, it makes it worse. If you don't provide the response they are looking for, it's no fun for them. The reason we have PP56859493849405 or whatever is because we keep responding and talkng about him.

Normally I don't care, I don't pay any attention to these guys. But I have noticed that when they come, the forum practically shuts down as far as pool is concerned. Threads become boring, and anything interesting gets pushed to back three pages getting little exposure and thus no discussion.

Please ignore them. They're power is dependant on our attention. I can understand we may be concerned that visitors may get the wrong impression of the pool world by their comments or we may want to correct incorrect information, but a thread with no responses sends a stronger message.

To ignore the troll, is the cruelest cut one can imagine. The ultimate punishment one can inflict.

There should be a big sign up, do not feed, the trolls.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
To ignore the troll, is the cruelest cut one can imagine. The ultimate punishment one can inflict.

lol that might work. I should think if someone posts that the future of pool is playing with square "balls" (or whatever) it doesn't merit a response.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
In the 6 years I've been on this forum, it feels like at least once a year at least one person signs on and completely hijacks the forum. Between the million threads they start and their controversial comments, it stirs the forum into an absolute uproar.

Please lets do our best to ignore these people. You can't argue with them, and constantly responding is essentially scratching a mosquito bite, it makes it worse. If you don't provide the response they are looking for, it's no fun for them. The reason we have PP56859493849405 or whatever is because we keep responding and talkng about him.

Normally I don't care, I don't pay any attention to these guys. But I have noticed that when they come, the forum practically shuts down as far as pool is concerned. Threads become boring, and anything interesting gets pushed to back three pages getting little exposure and thus no discussion.

Please ignore them. They're power is dependant on our attention. I can understand we may be concerned that visitors may get the wrong impression of the pool world by their comments or we may want to correct incorrect information, but a thread with no responses sends a stronger message.

I totally agree Cameron nothing could be more true.

Great post

enzo

Banned

Isn't this thread itself paying attenton to him? :)

I disagree, I think we do need to talk about SOME of the points he brought up. He isn't really a good spokesperson, but there is a good message in there somewhere.... i think the fact that he HAS stirred up so much is proof of that.

My take on this whole thing is as follows. There are maybe two ways to present good arguments in this forum.
1) You can do it pocket point style, and everybody will trash you and tell you how insane you are. its an easy way out to call these people crazy and jump on the bandwagon.
2) you could present arguments in a calm, rational style and then maybe one person responds and there is really no discussion thereafter. So, in a way i was grateful for him.... at least he got people talking about a subject I do think we need to talk about. Maybe we're just not ready yet, but the seed has perhaps been planted for the future. Not by him necessarily, but just in general.

vincentwu817

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I disagree, I think we do need to talk about SOME of the points he brought up. He isn't really a good spokesperson, but there is a good message in there somewhere.... i think the fact that he HAS stirred up so much is proof of that.

My take on this whole thing is as follows. There are maybe two ways to present good arguments in this forum.
1) You can do it pocket point style, and everybody will trash you and tell you how insane you are. its an easy way out to call these people crazy and jump on the bandwagon.
2) you could present arguments in a calm, rational style and then maybe one person responds and there is really no discussion thereafter. So, in a way i was grateful for him.... at least he got people talking about a subject I do think we need to talk about. Maybe we're just not ready yet, but the seed has perhaps been planted for the future. Not by him necessarily, but just in general.

So true. The second biggest troll in my opinion are those who bash on PocketPoint with no apparent reason (bandwagon mentality). These guys don't even consider his points and try to refute his claims by saying he's a lunatic? THAT I think is the biggest problem with this board. I also read the forum rules and really, it was those guys that made ad hominem attacks towards him that should be banned as well.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member

This isn't about Pocketpoint specifically, but rather this trend which happens without fail once or twice a year. I've actually thought about posting this thread every single year it happens.

But in reference to pocketpoint, I guess the point is that for the people who just want to discuss the topics, that's fine. It's when we get drawn into the "I hate so and so" threads, or when we respond to the stuff that wasn't worth discussing, like the abolishing of leagues. If we did that, then pool really would be be dying because leagues are the lifeblood of the game (whoops, I discussed it hahahahaha).

enzo

Banned
This isn't about Pocketpoint specifically, but rather this trend which happens without fail once or twice a year. I've actually thought about posting this thread every single year it happens.

But in reference to pocketpoint, I guess the point is that for the people who just want to discuss the topics, that's fine. It's when we get drawn into the "I hate so and so" threads, or when we respond to the stuff that wasn't worth discussing, like the abolishing of leagues. If we did that, then pool really would be be dying because leagues are the lifeblood of the game (whoops, I discussed it hahahahaha).

I think you are correct, leagues are the lifeblood of pool right now. I almost feel like you are arguing for my side, with all due respect. You say they are the lifeblood right now, yet pool is in the dumps further than it has ever been. Isn't this corroboration for my point, namely that leagues are deleterious for the game of pool?

cmbwsu

Pool Stream Advocate
Silver Member

Hope this one works:

easystreet-RfFf.png
easystreet-zgXn.png

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
If you warn players not to watch your opponent warm up, what makes you think your opponent is watching you warm up?
Probably the best way to win is to out play your opponent.

F/N dumb a ss that you are.

abie10

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
real trolls don't do it for the reaction. they do it for the heck of it...

i should know...i troll facebook all day. i could care less if people post reactions, cause i know they are reading it anyway :)

not condoning it here, i respect this place too much...just sayin...

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please move this thread to the NPR forum. I think this is called, "Begging the question," and is as bad as what it is complaining about.

Let's get back to talking pool on this forum. Talk pool.:yeah: