APA team captains

CB Jones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was wondering with the current 8 ball scoring system how many of you still use SL2's during playoff matches?

Most of the playoff matches I have seen the SL2's have not won a game, giving the opposing team 3 points. We have tried it a couple times and it has come back to bite us by putting our final player in a tougher handicap position.

Thoughts?

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was wondering with the current 8 ball scoring system how many of you still use SL2's during playoff matches?

Most of the playoff matches I have seen the SL2's have not won a game, giving the opposing team 3 points. We have tried it a couple times and it has come back to bite us by putting our final player in a tougher handicap position.

Thoughts?

Obviously completely dependent, but that being said we used ours almost every time. But we run 7,7,2,3,4. But this session the 2 & 4 have gone up. I think in general the only reason you're playing your 2 is because you have several other higher level skill players. I think you have to get the points from those players cause, in many cases, you're gonna get 0-3 or 1-2 with your 2

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
Low Sls

In 8 ball we try to only have 2-4's play an opposing player within 1 SL of them unless it is a strong 4. Unfortunately, they always seem to have to play anchor and they dont have the skillset to overcome the pressure and dont take advantage of the handicap. Even in a 2-4 race against a 4 is tough for the 2 unless they get a win with an E8 which you cant rely on. With the new scoring system it is more costly to try and sneak up on a high ranked player.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I think if you want to play your horses you pretty much have to play your lower S/L's. They are an incredibly valuable part of our roster

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member
We haven't had much of a problem with it as our SL2 in 8-ball is a SL3 in 9-ball and has been so for a few years.

She can be a good throw, but you need to know the opponent. If they are the type that doesn't mind shooting 7 defensive shots in two racks to earn a few BIH, then I wouldn't throw my 2.

Also, I seldom throw the 2. I feel it's better to respond with a low rank than throw them.

purpdrag

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was "acting" captain this past Wednesday for our playoffs because our captain is out of town. We have one 2 who has never won a match and not likely to do so anytime soon. I explained to the team I was going with our best chance to win and let this player know, with an apology, that they would not be playing.

Our other 2 is a borderline 3. I still saved him for the end though, hoping we'd be able to win in 3 or 4 matches. It was tied 4-4 after three matches but they had 2 wins to our 1. We played the 4th and 5th matches simultaneously. Turns out our 2 won it for us against a 3 with a 2-0 victory, thus scoring 3 points to 0 for the team. Since we had already won one game in the other match it was over right there.

I also learned that male 2s have to play as 3s in regionals so I told him that made it less likely he would get to play. May not have much choice at regionals though because it's a weekend tournament and at least one of our players (SL5) normally works every weekend.

Richardson

Who me ?
Silver Member
Throw your 2's on other teams 6-7 level players. Winning APA is not about matching up. If a 7 smokes your 2, so what?!? But if that 2 manages to win a game its huge for your team.

Free advice from someone whos won several trips to vegas including 2014.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
In my experience we played our 2 mostly out of necessity to make handicap than desire. I feel like it's probably not a good play in 8 ball where, in my opinion, they are a bigger underdog than say in 9 ball where they can get some really lucky rolls and make it to 19 pretty easily. Also, when you're talking about playoffs and tournaments it has been my experience that lower SL players may feel more nervous. If I had the choice I'd sit them.

Ronson

Registered
I agree with jojopiff and Celophanewrap.

If you don't have high rated players that can carry the team, there is no reason to have a 2. Usually the higher the SL, the better the win %.

A good 7 will have a 70-90% win rate, and will appreciate having a 2 to coach..ensuring that he can play every night. Then you still have 14 points to throw. 6,4,4.. 7,3,4.. 5,5,4. Lots of options.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Throw your 2's on other teams 6-7 level players. Winning APA is not about matching up. If a 7 smokes your 2, so what?!? But if that 2 manages to win a game its huge for your team.

Free advice from someone whos won several trips to vegas including 2014.

And 7's ALWAYS hate playing 2's. Not from fear of losing, just sucks playing someone that can't play a lick, and it sets the tone to have their 7 rattled already ;)

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
so so advice

And 7's ALWAYS hate playing 2's. Not from fear of losing, just sucks playing someone that can't play a lick, and it sets the tone to have their 7 rattled already ;)

If you are talking 9 I agree but in 8 I love playing 2's and 3's. Gives me more chances for multiple b/r in a set. Get a couple and 3 becomes a 2 and the 2 might as well be blind. 6-2 and 7-2 sounds like a lot of weight but they never get close. Then your 7 winds up playing their 4 that has the same number of wins required as the 2. It isn't about how many the 7 needs, its your player.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
If you are talking 9 I agree but in 8 I love playing 2's and 3's. Gives me more chances for multiple b/r in a set. Get a couple and 3 becomes a 2 and the 2 might as well be blind. 6-2 and 7-2 sounds like a lot of weight but they never get close. Then your 7 winds up playing their 4 that has the same number of wins required as the 2. It isn't about how many the 7 needs, its your player.

Eh, just boring and no fun to me. I personally hate playing a 2. Makes the whole night a waste. I don't really care about a trip to Vegas, I can go there anytime I want, and do with other leagues..... but geez, I wanna have some fun on league night at least.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have never had a 2 in 8 ball. i do have 2 - 2's in 9 ball but they are both males and cannot play as 2's in play offs or higher.

wish i had your problem. :grin-square:

fwiw ...one of my 2's beat an 8 in 9 ball last week. i know it frustrates the hell outa me when a lower level player misses and leaves you hooked...can only imagine how it frustrates a 7 or higher.:grin-square:

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
i have never had a 2 in 8 ball. i do have 2 - 2's in 9 ball but they are both males and cannot play as 2's in play offs or higher.

wish i had your problem. :grin-square:

fwiw ...one of my 2's beat an 8 in 9 ball last week. i know it frustrates the hell outa me when a lower level player misses and leaves you hooked...can only imagine how it frustrates a 7 or higher.:grin-square:
You have 2 male 2s? That's crazy.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have 2 male 2s? That's crazy.

yea it is lol. one is a 68 year old man , the other is a player brand new to pool. neither one can barely make 2 balls in a row starting with bih in 9 ball. they do a little better in 8 ball where you have more options on what to shoot. they are both 3;s in 8 ball.

Ronson

Registered
IMO... Lowballing a max player is stupid. If the player is bad enough to lose to a 2/3 then he's bad enough to lose to anyone. Meanwhile you've just pissed off players from both teams.

2's don't want to play 7's, and 7's dont wanna play 2's.

I hate playing 2/3's.. but if the captain is dumb enough to throw them against me I make sure they never try it again. If your 7/9 gets "rattled" playing down then he sucks.

Meanwhile if your 2/3 beats a crappy 7/9, he's gonna get bumped regardless if the other player is overrated. Then your 7/9 has to play down..so you've effectively pissed off 4 people...nice strategy.

If you don't have a max player to match up with a 7/9, then whatever..do what you gotta do... the 7/9 probly shouldn't have thrown himself up. :wink:

CB Jones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO... Lowballing a max player is stupid. If the player is bad enough to lose to a 2/3 then he's bad enough to lose to anyone. Meanwhile you've just pissed off players from both teams.

I hate playing 2/3's.. but if the captain is dumb enough to throw them against me I make sure they never try it again. If your 7/9 gets "rattled" playing down then he sucks.

Meanwhile if your 2/3 beats a crappy 7/9, he's gonna get bumped regardless if the other player is overrated. Then your 7/9 has to play down..so you've effectively pissed off 4 people...nice strategy.

If you don't have a max player to match up with a 7/9, then whatever..do what you gotta do... the 7/9 probably shouldn't have thrown himself up. :wink:

I agree with you that this is the case for normal league nights. However playoffs, upper level events and nationals are a completely different animal. If my team wins the first two matches and my opponents are forced to put up their strongest player a SL7 then we are putting up the weakest player to maximize our chances in the last two matches.

We actual had this had two years ago at the NTC. We were down 2-0 after two matches. We had a 7,6,3 same as our opponents. We played our 7 and they played theirs. Our 7 won, next they put up their 6 so I played him and won. Finally our 3 beat their 3 to win the match.

Now their 7 played good, he would have been a favorite over me and would have mowed down our 3. If they would have just put their 3 on our 7 they would have won that match. There is no reason to burn your best player when you have a dominant position in the match.

Richardson

Who me ?
Silver Member

If you don't have a max player to match up with a 7/9, then whatever..do what you gotta do... the 7/9 probly shouldn't have thrown himself up. :wink:

How many times have you captained a team to Vegas?

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thoughts?

I am strongest 7 in our region then a guy moved to town from Iowa plays as good as I deo. We teamed up got a good 5 then some of the gf;s we pla 7 7 5 2 2 and we've never lost yet this year, just need the 2s to stay where they are llol