Filtering music in background during live stream

bazkook

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A local streamer had the audio removed from his streamed videos after they finished recording to Facebook and YouTube due to copyright claims from songs playing through the bar's jukebox and now he is having to mute the audio completely to avoid copyright infringement issues. The streamer's main streaming device is a smartphone. Watching silent videos is not much fun if you cannot hear sound from the tables and I enjoy listening to the live calcutta auction before one of the tournaments that is recorded.
I just wonder how other professional streamers get around music playing in the background during tournaments and still have audio. Will posting a disclaimer in the video description informing others that any copyrighted material in the video is not owned by the streamer be enough?

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
A local streamer had the audio removed from his streamed videos after they finished recording to Facebook and YouTube due to copyright claims from songs playing through the bar's jukebox and now he is having to mute the audio completely to avoid copyright infringement issues. The streamer's main streaming device is a smartphone. Watching silent videos is not much fun if you cannot hear sound from the tables and I enjoy listening to the live calcutta auction before one of the tournaments that is recorded.
I just wonder how other professional streamers get around music playing in the background during tournaments and still have audio. Will posting a disclaimer in the video description informing others that any copyrighted material in the video is not owned by the streamer be enough?

It doesn't matter what you do. I get notices several times a week as I have over 600 videos on YouTube. They have an auto detect that searches for copyrighted music in videos. The only way is no background music or pay royalties to the artist. Muting videos is best or if the match is of importance then you could always do commentary over it after the match is over in post production. I just personally don't feel its worth commentating a match twice. It is a PITA because the body of the work isn't those songs but the pool itself.

bazkook

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesn't matter what you do. I get notices several times a week as I have over 600 videos on YouTube. They have an auto detect that searches for copyrighted music in videos. The only way is no background music or pay royalties to the artist. Muting videos is best or if the match is of importance then you could always do commentary over it after the match is over in post production. I just personally don't feel its worth commentating a match twice. It is a PITA because the body of the work isn't those songs but the pool itself.

I agree that it is a pain to jump through hoops to have to post pool videos. If you asked the room owner to turn off or lower the volume on the jukebox just to accommodate the streamer, he/she would laugh at you, at least in my experience. Some rooms may not have the same issue because the area where the tables are at may not have any speakers with music nearby but the local room that I am referencing is fairly small and does not have the luxury of separating the drinking/party crowd and the pool players.

Another question: how do people post lyric music videos on YouTube and get away with it? I imagine that not everyone who posts such videos pays royalties.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
I wanna stomp the LIFE from these bit-catching stank net programs. I completely understand that artists gotta get paid... I paid them once putting my dollar into the juke to hear their song. The main reason for my videos is to show people the horrors associated with aging and still loving one pocket... not to pirate songs.

Lesh

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Why do people feel that they have the right to steal other persons property. Because that is what it is THEFT. I don't suppose you would ever contemplate walking into an artist's private apartment and helping yourself to loose cash that was lying around. That is theiving too

bazkook

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do people feel that they have the right to steal other persons property. Because that is what it is THEFT. I don't suppose you would ever contemplate walking into an artist's private apartment and helping yourself to loose cash that was lying around. That is theiving too

I think you're missing the point of my post. I never asked how to steal music. The streamer I am referring to has no intention of committing any copyright infringement. His videos are catered to the pool crowd and the viewers do not watch the stream to listen to background music. It was only after his videos were uploaded to YouTube that I informed him of the audio being muted due to copyright claims. He has since muted his live streams to avoid any copyright issues. My original question was about filtering music so the sounds from the table could be heard. I didn't intend to start a debate about the ethics of copyright infringement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorramjayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You can't play your music on a boom box next to TV news crews then demand the stations pay you royalties.

Just like you can't license your music to a jukebox for public play then demand royalties for fair use videos taken in the venue where your song was licensed to be played to the public, where the video does not intend to incorporate the music as part of the featured content.

The artists, through the record label and distributor agreements, placed their songs in pool halls to be played. Youtube's algorithm is abusive, shutting down far too many fair use cases of music. I have no sympathy for the artists who have bullied Youtube into employing these algorithms. You can sue the individuals who violate fair use if you really want to. Oh wait, the 15-year-old youtube user isn't making any profit from song for you to bother wasting resources pursuing a lawsuit? Then why are you complaining? These suits are for people who fail to obtain a commercial license to use a song and have deprived the artist of something other than a de minimus benefit.

Stop crying about your music being in the background, be happy people can even tolerate your shitty music enough to keep playing pool with what barely passes for music these days annoying the crap out of them.

TVmike

Professional Live Stream
Silver Member
EASY.

Produce your streams on your own platform.

Doesn't apply to me.

People want to give giving their content away to youtube, not a problem if you produce here.

MikeyLittle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The league in in uses those Nest home security cameras because they are HD and you have your own server or program so it's not on YouTube or whatever. Comes in really clear. I'll try posting a link to see what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Get the owner's permission to turn off the jukebox. If that is not possible, you can set up a directional mic on the livestream table to minimize picking up background music. If you're uploading to Youtube, then post production to remove/minimize background music.

Big Dave

Pool Hack!!!
Silver Member
In the UK at least, it's possible to buy CD's of Royalty Free music - the downside is that the players have to listen to "elevator" quality music all day, which can be a bit of a grind!