Toby Sweet
Old
  (#1)
madhatter44
AzB Silver Member
madhatter44 has a reputation beyond reputemadhatter44 has a reputation beyond reputemadhatter44 has a reputation beyond reputemadhatter44 has a reputation beyond reputemadhatter44 has a reputation beyond reputemadhatter44 has a reputation beyond reputemadhatter44 has a reputation beyond reputemadhatter44 has a reputation beyond reputemadhatter44 has a reputation beyond reputemadhatter44 has a reputation beyond reputemadhatter44 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Toby Sweet - 09-15-2013, 05:31 AM

Anyone remember,know or play with a hustler named Toby Sweet?

Old
  (#2)
grover
AzB Silver Member
grover has a reputation beyond reputegrover has a reputation beyond reputegrover has a reputation beyond reputegrover has a reputation beyond reputegrover has a reputation beyond reputegrover has a reputation beyond reputegrover has a reputation beyond reputegrover has a reputation beyond reputegrover has a reputation beyond reputegrover has a reputation beyond reputegrover has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-15-2013, 06:07 AM

yes.......................cool dude.

Last edited by grover; 09-15-2013 at 06:12 AM.

Old
  (#3)
Nostroke
AzB Silver Member
Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 10475
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
09-15-2013, 06:21 AM

Many thought him to be the best in the World way back in mid 70's. He still plays but rarely gambles.

Old
  (#4)
oldschool1478
AzB Silver Member
oldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond repute

09-15-2013, 07:05 AM

Back in 1988 I lived on my sail boat docked behind his apartment. He had a pool hall in Hollywood Fla. at the time, where he gave me a few lessons.
If anyone has his phone number, please PM me!

Dan

Here are a few pics of Toby
Old
  (#5)
BillPorter
AzB Silver Member
BillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a few pics of Toby - 09-15-2013, 07:44 AM

I have a few pics of him.

Regards,
Bill Porter
http://billporter.smugmug.com/

Old
  (#6)
macguy
AzB Silver Member
macguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond reputemacguy has a reputation beyond repute

09-15-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatter44 View Post
Anyone remember,know or play with a hustler named Toby Sweet?
Played him and saw him play many times. Back when he was at his best he played 9 ball about as good as the game could be played. I am not talking about this guy was better then that guy or any of that, I am talking about from a technical stand point. His overall pool game was perfect. He did very little, no unnecessary movements or strange habits, his game was flawless. This was later evidenced buy how well he played after years of not playing at all. He just picked up a stick again and went back to his very simplistic way of playing and it still worked.

I have been around pool for over 50 years and I would say of all the players I have seen play, Toby would be the best for any player trying to learn the game to emulate. It seems like every player regardless of who they are from world champ to banger have some bad or goofy habits or quirks. Toby has none. He makes the hardest things look easy. In fact after watching him for a short while he makes "anyone" watching feel like they could just pick up a cue and do it to. Im not kidding, just watching him play will make your game jump up. I am running out of words to explain how good his game was.

Old
  (#7)
Woof Biscuit
and gravy
Woof Biscuit has a reputation beyond reputeWoof Biscuit has a reputation beyond reputeWoof Biscuit has a reputation beyond reputeWoof Biscuit has a reputation beyond reputeWoof Biscuit has a reputation beyond reputeWoof Biscuit has a reputation beyond reputeWoof Biscuit has a reputation beyond reputeWoof Biscuit has a reputation beyond reputeWoof Biscuit has a reputation beyond reputeWoof Biscuit has a reputation beyond reputeWoof Biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

09-15-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Played him and saw him play many times. Back when he was at his best he played 9 ball about as good as the game could be played. I am not talking about this guy was better then that guy or any of that, I am talking about from a technical stand point. His overall pool game was perfect. He did very little, no unnecessary movements or strange habits, his game was flawless. This was later evidenced buy how well he played after years of not playing at all. He just picked up a stick again and went back to his very simplistic way of playing and it still worked.

I have been around pool for over 50 years and I would say of all the players I have seen play, Toby would be the best for any player trying to learn the game to emulate. It seems like every player regardless of who they are from world champ to banger have some bad or goofy habits or quirks. Toby has none. He makes the hardest things look easy. In fact after watching him for a short while he makes "anyone" watching feel like they could just pick up a cue and do it to. Im not kidding, just watching him play will make your game jump up. I am running out of words to explain how good his game was.
Exactly. I've played him recently. Great guy and player. He is still around. He usually spends the summer in NY and winter here in the West Palm Beach area.

Old
  (#8)
lou the greek
AzB Silver Member
lou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond reputelou the greek has a reputation beyond repute

09-15-2013, 09:30 AM

In the late 70s I had the privilege to watch him play a lot, he hanged out @ the Hi Cue in Elizabeth NJ that's where a lot of the great players used to play A.Hopkins, R.Martin. S.Mizerak ,J.Colavita, P.Margo,J.Frady,even Danny Gartner who was in his 80s and still played good hanged there,well Toby played all of them and held more than his own that's how good Toby was, a great player.

Old
  (#9)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

09-15-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Biscuit View Post
Exactly. I've played him recently. Great guy and player. He is still around. He usually spends the summer in NY and winter here in the West Palm Beach area.
Please tell him Jay from L.A. says hi. Thnx

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#10)
oldzilla
Accu-Stats Messenger
oldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1050

09-15-2013, 09:40 AM

Toby is a very good player, a real grinder !

He would catch a ride with me to some of the Florida Tour stops we played in.

He was a good friend at that time. I have not been to Florida for a long time.

On another note, the redhead girl just above Toby's elbow ( last pic in post #5) looks like

Bonnie Hoffman. She was starting to climb up the rankings but then she

kind of vanished from the scene. Her sister Corrine was the TD on the Fla Tour.

I heard she passed away. Their father was a great guy too.

He was a regular at CM's Place in Seminole.

The International 9-Ball Open
http://www.accu-stats.com/

Accu-Stats produced DVD's are now $9.95
VOD https://vimeo.com/accustats/albums

-----------------
http://www.accu-stats.com/liveppv.html
http://www.accu-stats.com/

Old
  (#11)
BillPorter
AzB Silver Member
BillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond reputeBillPorter has a reputation beyond repute

09-15-2013, 10:20 AM

I hope someone shows Toby this thread. Seems like he would really enjoy reading the comments about him.

Anyone want to volunteer to do this?

Regards,
Bill Porter
http://billporter.smugmug.com/

Old
  (#12)
Pushout
AzB Silver Member
Pushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond repute

09-15-2013, 11:04 AM

I saw Toby once, at the NYS 9 ball Championship in the early or mid '80s. He had a great rep as one of the best gamblers in the country at the time. A guy with Joe Kerr, I think it may have been Lyle Gay(sp?), tried to make a game with Toby with the wild 8 but Toby offered the call 8, they never did play. Toby seemed very quiet and reserved, not real concerned whether they played or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I had a stroke. I had it when I came in, I KNOW I did

"Nothing beats playing pool in your underwear at 2 o'clock in the morning." George Fels 1938-2013

Straight Pool is not a race!

Link to 101 Tips to Improve Your Game by George Fels:http://www.mediafire.com/file/ldhxbl..._Game.pdf/file

Old
  (#13)
bobbycotton
PoolHall Junkie
bobbycotton has a reputation beyond reputebobbycotton has a reputation beyond reputebobbycotton has a reputation beyond reputebobbycotton has a reputation beyond reputebobbycotton has a reputation beyond reputebobbycotton has a reputation beyond reputebobbycotton has a reputation beyond reputebobbycotton has a reputation beyond reputebobbycotton has a reputation beyond reputebobbycotton has a reputation beyond reputebobbycotton has a reputation beyond repute

09-15-2013, 11:50 AM

I played Toby in 1969 in Memphis at the Highland Cue. He was with "Cuban Joe", Toby ran 11 racks on me on a Gold Crown, I guess he could play a little lol !

Old
  (#14)
Tronpocket
AzB Silver Member
Tronpocket has a reputation beyond reputeTronpocket has a reputation beyond reputeTronpocket has a reputation beyond reputeTronpocket has a reputation beyond reputeTronpocket has a reputation beyond reputeTronpocket has a reputation beyond reputeTronpocket has a reputation beyond reputeTronpocket has a reputation beyond reputeTronpocket has a reputation beyond reputeTronpocket has a reputation beyond reputeTronpocket has a reputation beyond repute

09-15-2013, 11:52 AM

His name came up yesterday in remenicent conversation between some former pro players and it was agreed that he had one of the best Q balls....Ever.
And could play with anyone. Believe it.
And his one handed game was on par with almost anyone alive.

Old
  (#15)
Nostroke
AzB Silver Member
Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 10475
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
09-15-2013, 07:00 PM

Incardone played him a few sets and as i hear it-never won one of them and had enough of Toby for life.

Page 1 of 6 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: