Your thoughts on best single layered tip

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
Since getting back to playing, I have been using mostly Ultra Skins and Kamui. I really like the hit but the thing that I don't like is getting to the end of a layer to have glue or a small piece of the leftover layer cause me to miscue or throw the cue ball off slightly.

So I'm thinking about trying some single layered tips. I've seen good feedback on the Ki-Techs. Anything else used and liked out there???

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since getting back to playing, I have been using mostly Ultra Skins and Kamui. I really like the hit but the thing that I don't like is getting to the end of a layer to have glue or a small piece of the leftover layer cause me to miscue or throw the cue ball off slightly.

So I'm thinking about trying some single layered tips. I've seen good feedback on the Ki-Techs. Anything else used and liked out there???

I've heard there are some really good Milkduds around here. I use Keith Hanssen Milkduds but I don't know if he sells them outright.

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black King

I like Black King mediums. However, I think they would be a bit hard for some people.

kollegedave

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Nothing better than a good Triangle or a Triangle with a fiber pad...IMO
Except Jeff / pooldawg8 milk duds

Nine Miler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm currently using a Ki-tech medium-hard. Really great tip. Haven't messed with it at all, and to me it plays like the best triangle tip, quite firm, with good sound and feel, but minus the harshness that you can get sometimes with a triangle.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Chandivert Crowns are the triple nuts. They are pretty hard and play amazingly. Effortless cue ball action.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In a single layer tip a good Triangle is hard to beat. The hard part is getting a good one.
I have not tried a milk dud yet but Vague Doug Evergreen Colorado's premier tip installer speaks highly of them and I might try one.
I am using the Ki-Tech hard and like it a lot.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

I completely agree with this, but it gets harder and harder to find a good Triangle. I have high hopes for Ki-Tech.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on what you like. Le Pro, Triangle and Elkmaster seems to be the three most common single layer tips.
There is some inconsistency in all three brands, so finding a good one is a hit and miss thing.
On the plus side, a box of tips is less than $20, so they are dirt cheap, even if you can only use 10% of the tips, they are still way cheaper than a Kamui or Zan.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Bryan try the Ki Tech tips out. I switched to them from Kamui and have been very happy with them. Recently at a 5k added tourny there was a discussion among some of the players and I learned that I wasn't alone in my favorable opinion on Ki Tech tips. Alot of the players were using them.

What I like about them:
~They hold chalk well
~I havent seen any glazing over that happened with the kamui
~The medium tips havent mushroomed on me
~I like the feedback I get from the tip on a number of different strokes, including loading up alot of english to soft stop ball and stun shots.

The soft tip plays imo closer to what the Kamui SS played like. It was too mushy for me, kinda reminded me of shooting with an elkmaster. The Mediums play like the Kamui softs. I havent tried their hard tips.

Last edited:

mcsock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really like the Ki-Tech tips. Several others in the area are starting to play with them. Plus made in the U.S.A., by a good guy AZB poster.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member

Ki-techs the best tip I've ever played with.

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes I run across a Le Pro that plays/feels better than anything I've ever tried.
I can tell I have a good one too just by cutting/shaping it.
Operative word being "sometimes".

Another good tip --->> Don't count your chickens until they cross the road.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tried a LOT of tips. For single layer, right now I would say that the Ki-Tech is the best.

I've recently tried putting on a Triangle. I use some top secret installation techniques that make them play *awesome*. The only problem is that they change over time quite a lot. They mushroom ever so slightly initially, and then very slowly become a bit harder.

I replaced my Triangle with the Ki-Tech medium. Wow...this is a *great* tip. Kind of like the best Triangle you ever imagined. I can't believe that the shape hasn't changed *at all*. They look a lot like a Triangle, and machine a lot like a Triangle. It seems like they take all the best qualities of the Triangle and go a little beyond that. *Excellent* grip on the cue ball, very nice hit and feel. Interestingly, I found the tip to be low flex...meaning even with a slightly tall tip on an 11.75mm shaft, when using lots of left or right I do not feel the tip flexing to the sides. This is odd considering the tip grips so well. With a Kamui black soft, for example, there is quite a bit of flex (hence why I prefer the Kamui brown now, or else a very low black). The Ki-Tech has done a great job of offering high grip with low flex. This is the perfect combo for me. *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED*!!!

On the other hand, I put my other shaft on with a lower height Kamui brown clear soft and damn that feels good too. So there you have it lol.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes I run across a Le Pro that plays/feels better than anything I've ever tried.
I can tell I have a good one too just by cutting/shaping it.
Operative word being "sometimes".

Another good tip --->> Don't count your chickens until they cross the road.

I know what you mean. The way it cuts says a lot. I like when I put a sharp blade to it and one long ribbon shaves off. You know you got a winner there. The old Mooris were the very best at this.

KMRUNOUT

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll try a Ki-Tech soft or medium and go from there. I may try making my own milk duds since I have some extra Elk Masters