Wood-Wood Joint or Metal Joint? For Custom butt- 314 Shaft

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As title says, im gathering feedback ONLY ON USERS who have actually TRIED N MATCHED a Predator 314 ( gen 2 or 3 )
on 2 different types of custom cuemakers made butt ,
wood - wood and metal joint.

Reasons's this , the rationale is metal joint
"IS SUPPOSED" to hit STIFFER.

However, the pred 314-2 shaft i have tried seems to hit MORE SOLID and with BETTER FEEDBACK n LOTS OF POWER on 2 types of wood to wood joint
( i tried [ 3-8-10 ] n mezz Wavvy joint [ 3-8-9] ).

On the other hand, the 314-2 shaft on 2 different metal joint i tried ( 5-16-14 & 5-16-18 ) seems to mute the hit , less feedback n feels like a MUCH SOFTER HIT N generate less power than the wood joint

Appreciate your opinions n feedbacks if u actually tried one or both types of joint with a predator 314-2 &3 shaft.

Thanks n have a nice day !

cuecrazy

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree with your comment. I have had both with the 314-2 shaft, and the metal joint gives much less feedback and hits with less power.
I always try to get cues with wood-to-wood joints to get the best feedback.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regardless of shaft, wood ~ wood is the way to go. Radial or 3/8x10 !!!

BTW, I had a 314 Cat that fit my McD D-3 perfectly, I sold that shaft after giving it many chances !!!

Last edited:

Jdm34

jared marion
Silver Member
wood to wood usually the 2nd thing to look at is a predator shaft from syberts have an insert for the threads were if you order a custom partial from a cue maker the threads will be tapped and I have seen some use a phenolic insert. this will make some difference in the hit. I have used predator and OB matched up to every cue I ever had steel 5/16-14. ivory uniloc, steel uniloc delrin uniloc. 3/8-11 3/8-10 radial. They all had some kind of difference. but my favorite always ends up being a radial wood to wood.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shaft you are going to use is going to be the main component of any feel.
You put a predator on it, you know what you're going to get.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wood to wood usually the 2nd thing to look at is a predator shaft from syberts have an insert for the threads were if you order a custom partial from a cue maker the threads will be tapped and I have seen some use a phenolic insert. this will make some difference in the hit. I have used predator and OB matched up to every cue I ever had steel 5/16-14. ivory uniloc, steel uniloc delrin uniloc. 3/8-11 3/8-10 radial. They all had some kind of difference. but my favorite always ends up being a radial wood to wood.

Im currently using a 314-2 on a 5-16-14 butt , i have another on a 5-16-18, both shaft have the insert that u're talking about.
No doubt its tighter but i feel it produce a softer hit n less feedback.

I tried 2 of my friends combo, one one a 3-8-10, another on a wavvy joint ( 30 inch 314-2 which suppose to play softer due to it being longer ) , n both played more solid w better feedbsck than the metal joint.

So im asking if anyone else who had the same experience w me using 314 shaft on both joints.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shaft you are going to use is going to be the main component of any feel.
You put a predator on it, you know what you're going to get.

Thats not the main point.
Yea pred shaft tends to be more dead due to it being holllow n lamimated but what im trying to ask if others feel the same way that it plays better on a wood than metal joint since i already decided that im comfortable and playing well with it.

Thanks anyway

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:scratchhead:

Is the question about the brass insert or no brass insert on the shaft only?

I say it just doesn't matter. A brass insert is fine.

PoolChump

Banned
Personal Preference

As title says, im gathering feedback ONLY ON USERS who have actually TRIED N MATCHED a Predator 314 ( gen 2 or 3 )
on 2 different types of custom cuemakers made butt ,
wood - wood and metal joint.

Reasons's this , the rationale is metal joint
"IS SUPPOSED" to hit STIFFER.

However, the pred 314-2 shaft i have tried seems to hit MORE SOLID and with BETTER FEEDBACK n LOTS OF POWER on 2 types of wood to wood joint
( i tried [ 3-8-10 ] n mezz Wavvy joint [ 3-8-9] ).

On the other hand, the 314-2 shaft on 2 different metal joint i tried ( 5-16-14 & 5-16-18 ) seems to mute the hit , less feedback n feels like a MUCH SOFTER HIT N generate less power than the wood joint

Appreciate your opinions n feedbacks if u actually tried one or both types of joint with a predator 314-2 &3 shaft.

Thanks n have a nice day !

While it is true a wooden house cue will provide the most feedback of all cues, second would be a wood-to-wood for example a D series McDermott. Metal jointed cues will provide less feedback which can be compared to wearing a glove and not wearing a glove. The technology that goes into low deflection shafts only help with less cue ball deflection when aiming and nothing else. A pool cue should be considered an extension of you. Meaning, it doesn't matter what others say in terms of what others like, what matters most is how a cue feels and hits to you only. This is a combination of cue size, weight, balance, hit, tip, and many other variables.

These are only my opinions and my opinions alone.

Last edited:

Jdm34

jared marion
Silver Member
I think you answered your own question you are going to play better with what you like. I had a Pechauer and Schon cue steel jointed cue 5/16-14 with a 314-3 and also had a radial Webb cue with a predator shaft. both hit great I can spin and make balls with either. But at the end I play better overall with the webb cause I like the weight and feel more as a preference. You can also change all that just by putting a different tip and depends on pressed or thickness.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you answered your own question you are going to play better with what you like. I had a Pechauer and Schon cue steel jointed cue 5/16-14 with a 314-3 and also had a radial Webb cue with a predator shaft. both hit great I can spin and make balls with either. But at the end I play better overall with the webb cause I like the weight and feel more as a preference. You can also change all that just by putting a different tip and depends on pressed or thickness.

Actually yes im pretty sure i now prefer a wood to wood for the 314 combo so i need to do a little shopping for cuemakers and that also means spending quite a bit of money.

Therefore, i just wanna gather some opinions of others who tried both setup ( 314 in wood n metal ) and experienced what i did too.
Thanks for ur input buddy :)

ironsoldier71

Registered
It is all about transference of physical principles from one entity to another. I have tried several shafts on different cues as I have to know about the hit and feel on cues when selling them. I think it comes down to what the individual player needs. You found the Wood to wood works best. I prefer metal being involved for my hit.

If someone prefers a soft hit kinda woody... I sell them a Meucci. If they prefer a medium hit a McDermott. A stiff hit Two Feather Anazsi by Viking Cues would be my guess or an old Schon.

Kind Regards,
Michael McDonald
Shooters Billiard Supply
www.shootersbilliardsupply.com
Player: Two Feather Anasazi by Viking Pool Cues (11 of 150)
Shaft: ViKore Shaft by Viking Pool Cues
Break: Predator Break 3 Pool Cue
Jump: Air 2 by Predator Pool Cues
Case: Instroke 3x5 Southwest Black Pool Cue Case
Table: Diamond Pro Am 9 ft with Aramith Tourney TV Pool Balls

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have metal to wood cues, wood to wood and ivory to wood. On my cues I can hardly tell the difference between the ivory joints and the wood joints. Definitely a noticeable difference with the metal joints, agreeing with the above conclusions.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually yes im pretty sure i now prefer a wood to wood for the 314 combo so i need to do a little shopping for cuemakers and that also means spending quite a bit of money.

Therefore, i just wanna gather some opinions of others who tried both setup ( 314 in wood n metal ) and experienced what i did too.
Thanks for ur input buddy :)

I played for years with a steel collared McDermott. About 5 or so years ago I bought a Predator wood to wood Sneaky with a 314/2 .. paid $300.00 for it brand new .. Instantly noticeable to me was the increase in feed back, a softer hit that was appealing to me and most of all being able to put much more spin on the cue ball.

So, I bought a 314/2 3/8x10 to use on my beloved McDermott. It was not the same experience .. much duller and harder hitting without the wood to wood joint. Also the Predator Sneaky had a Uni Lock Quick release joint which is not considered the best joint for feed back, inferior to a 3/8x10.

But it was plenty good enough for me. And I liked the idea of playing with a completely non-descript Sneaky that looked like I had just pulled it off the wall.

Here is a thought for you to consider ... Tiger Cues makes a wonderful wood to wood Sneaky and it is very affordable. Cool thing about Tiger is that they will build a cue for you with any joint you want - You could have them build you one and put a Predator shaft on it.

This way you may be able to get exactly what you are after and not be charged through the wazoo and made to wait for at least twice as long as you were originally told by the cue maker as to a delivery date.

Good luck and Good rolls.

Last edited: