9-Ball Layout With 21 Different Shot Options! Which Do You Like Best?

Which shot options do you like best and why?

• 1 in corner, playing for bank on 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • kiss 1 off 9 into corner

• combo 1 into 9 for win

• hide 1 behind 3-4 with slight break out and roll forward

• after 1 and 2, kiss 3 off 4 to pocket 3-5 combo

• Total voters

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
In a previous poll, people suggested various options for shooting the ball layout shown here:

attachment.php

The following diagram clearly shows the ball positions and angles:

attachment.php

The following video demonstrates many options for approaching this table layout:

Here are the options demonstrated in the video:
(1) 1 in side with long-side shape on 2
(2) 1 in corner with short-side shape on 2
(3) 1 in corner, playing for bank on 2
(4) 1 into 3-4, hide behind 2
(5) 1 down table, hide behind 8
(6) kiss 1 off 9 into corner
(7) combo 1 into 9 for win
(8) combo 1 into 9, with possible kiss off 7
(9) hide behind 8, send 1 into 3-4
(10) hide 1 behind 3-4, with distance
(11) hide 1 behind 3-4 with slight break out
(12) hide 1 behind 3-4 with slight break out and roll forward
(13) 1 in corner, follow to break out 3-4
(14) 1 in corner, draw off cushion to long side of 2
(15) 1 in corner, draw off cushion to short side of 2
(16) 1 in corner, draw off cushion to short side of 2 for follow forward
(17) hit 1 into 3-4 cluster and hide behind 7-9
(18) hide CB from 1 using 7-9 blockers
(19) 1 in corner, follow for shape on 2
(20) after 1 and 2, kiss 3 off 4 to pocket 3-5 combo
(21) after 1 and 2, play safety on 3

other options suggested after filming:
(22) bank 1 into 4 to throw 3 into corner
(23) 1 in corner, follow with inside to break out 3-4 rail first for better shape on 2
(24) 1 into and/or behind 8, CB by 5
(25) 1 in corner, play safe on 2 (CB behind 9 and/or 2 behind 3-4)

Which one or two do you like best, and why?

I don't think I've ever seen a 9-ball layout before with this many options available.

Enjoy,
Dave

Attachments

• VENT Ball Layout Diagram.jpg
    VENT Ball Layout Diagram.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,168
Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like 7/8, take that free shot! If I feel like I have control of the balls, I try a mix of 5/11.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like 7/8, take that free shot! If I feel like I have control of the balls, I try a mix of 5/11.
Please vote on the poll (selecting as many as you like) so we can keep track of what everybody thinks is best.

Thanks,
Dave

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
15 and 16 are my choises. I would try to make 1 and 2 balls and get close to 3. Then I would try get safe while breaking cluster.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My good doctor,

Excellent video my friend with many options. After viewing your diagram of how the balls are set up, it appears that the 4/3 combo may be dead (if they are frozen) by banking the 1 ball of the short cushion into the 4. If they are, I may like that option as well - maybe you can set them up and try it.

Again, great work, you are stroking the ball really well.

The other doctor Dave.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
My good doctor,

Excellent video my friend with many options.
Thanks. It was fun practice. In fact, replicating the video would be a good pool work-out routine since it covers such a wide range of shot types and skills.

After viewing your diagram of how the balls are set up, it appears that the 4/3 combo may be dead (if they are frozen) by banking the 1 ball of the short cushion into the 4. If they are, I may like that option as well - maybe you can set them up and try it.
Good eye. You are correct. I just tried it and it worked like a charm.

That's 22 now.

Anybody else have any others to add?

Again, great work, you are stroking the ball really well.
Thanks. Although, anybody can look good after video-editing out all of the misses, some of which were very bad. Some of those shots took quite a few attempts to get right.

The other doctor Dave.
Best regards,
Dr. Dr. Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
After seeing the new diagram, I like pocketing the 1 with follow to break up the 3/4 cluster. In the other thread I said I couldn't cheat the pocket enough to get the break out on my table, but I had the shot set up a little straighter than the new diagram shows.
That is also an attractive option for me; although, I missed the 1 the first time I attempted it ... I think because the firm above-center hit caused the CB to hop and over-cut the 1 slightly. I had to aim thicker than I thought I should to pocket the ball cleanly. Also, the long shot left on the 2 in not a picnic ... for me anyway.

After hitting all of the shots, my favorite is:

It is fairly easy to hide behind the 2 and get the break out, without needing to attempt a challenging out (although, it does bring the opponent to the table with a chance to get lucky and leave me bad).

The only thing that would make me second guess the run out based on the improved diagram is how tough the table is. On soft equipment, im going to shoot for the out 100% of the time from here. If, say, the pockets were 4"--I might consider ducking and breaking the cluster off the 1 or shooting a couple of balls and positioning myself where i could open the cluster and play safe off the 3, like poolmanis said. I would consider that, but if im being honest, I would probably try to run out from here no matter how tight the pockets.
Well stated. I agree.

This is just my personal preference, of course. I'm an aggressive, offensive minded player--sometimes too much so.
Understood.

Thank you for sharing your insights,
Dave

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a previous poll, people suggested various options for shooting the ball layout shown here:

attachment.php

The following diagram clearly shows the ball positions and angles:

attachment.php

The following video demonstrates many options for approaching this table layout:

Here are the options demonstrated in the video:
(1) 1 in side with long-side shape on 2
(2) 1 in corner with short-side shape on 2
(3) 1 in corner, playing for bank on 2
(5) 1 down table, hide behind 8
(6) kiss 1 off 9 into corner
(7) combo 1 into 9 for win
(8) combo 1 into 9, with possible kiss off 7
(9) hide behind 8, send 1 into 3-4
(10) hide 1 behind 3-4, with distance
(11) hide 1 behind 3-4 with slight break out
(12) hide 1 behind 3-4 with slight break out and roll forward
(14) 1 in corner, draw off cushion to long side of 2
(15) 1 in corner, draw off cushion to short side of 2
(16) 1 in corner, draw off cushion to short side of 2 for follow forward
(17) hit 1 into 3-4 cluster and hide behind 7-9
(18) hide CB from 1 using 7-9 blockers
(19) 1 in corner, follow for shape on 2
(20) after 1 and 2, kiss 3 off 4 to pocket 3-5 combo
(21) after 1 and 2, play safety on 3

Which one or two do you like best, and why?

I don't think I've ever seen a 9-ball layout before with this many options available.

Enjoy,
Dave

Nice job Dave, I enjoyed watching your video.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice job Dave, I enjoyed watching your video.
Thank you. I'm glad to hear it.

If you or others have not done so yet, please place your vote(s) at the top of the poll so we can see what most people think are the best shot options.

Catch you later,
Dave

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you. I'm glad to hear it.

If you or others have not done so yet, please place your vote(s) at the top of the poll so we can see what most people think are the best shot options.

Catch you later,
Dave

Yes, I did vote.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I just shot this shot 10 times or more. Its no good IMO. First, the angle on the 1 is mm precise in order to get the CB to hit the 3. 1mm too far to the left with the CB, and you will hit the rail well before the 3.

Second, if you do have the CB in the one perfect spot to reach the 3, and break out the 3/4, the shot on the 2 is very difficult. I'd say you need to be an A player or above to have a 50/50 chance of pocketing the 2.

IMO:)

Video attempts below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcDIPYEKoqM

Last edited:

SpinDoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like banking the 1 ball behind the 3/4 and stunning the cueball behind the 8. If it does manage to nudge the balls apart they may free up a run out later and, if not, you're in a good spot to consider working on 3 fouls.

The angle of the balls doesn't look good to me for shooting the one and breaking the balls out and, additionally, the shot you end up with on the 2 ball isn't much fun either.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I just shot this shot 10 times or more. Its no good IMO. First, the angle on the 1 is mm precise in order to get the CB to hit the 3. 1mm too far to the left with the CB, and you will hit the rail well before the 3.

Second, if you do have the CB in the one perfect spot to reach the 3, and break out the 3/4, the shot on the 2 is very difficult. I'd say you need to be an A player or above to have a 50/50 chance of pocketing the 2.

IMO:)

Video attempts below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcDIPYEKoqM

Set that shot up again as Dave has it. Use high inside english, strike whitey a little higher than you were and stroke it like your life depends on it. I really love them shots.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

With the exact ball layout in the diagram, the break out is fairly natural. I just tried the shot 5 times on my table and pocketed the 1 and got the break out 5 times in a row; although, I remember when I was filming, I did over-cut the 1 a couple of times (either trying to create more angle than I needed and/or because of CB hop).

Second, if you do have the CB in the one perfect spot to reach the 3, and break out the 3/4, the shot on the 2 is very difficult.
I agree with you 100% here. Every shot I had on the 2-ball off the break out was scary to me; and like you, I missed quite a few while filming. I just wasn't as comfortable as you to share all of my misses publicly. I respect you for that.

It looks to me that you are not hitting the CB nearly as high as you can. With the tip higher, the shot should be easier and more reliable for you. Let us know if that makes a difference.

Thanks again for posting your videos and comments.

Catch you later,
Dave

PS: You haven't taken an official stab at the BU Exams in a while. If you try them again, please consider posting new scores and videos on the AZB BU thread. I'll be curious to see how much higher you can score compared to the past. I just finished up a couple of big projects, so I hope to find some time to attempt to top my scores, especially Exam I, where I think it should be possible to crush my previous best score (although, it never seems to work out so easily).

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like banking the 1 ball behind the 3/4 and stunning the cueball behind the 8. If it does manage to nudge the balls apart they may free up a run out later and, if not, you're in a good spot to consider working on 3 fouls.
If you set up the balls exactly as in the diagram, this shot is very difficult. I had to hit it many times to get it to work, and it required spin to throw the 1 to get the right angle to barely bump the cluster and still hide behind the 8. This is one of those shots that might look easy on paper but plays tougher in real life (for me, anyway).

The angle of the balls doesn't look good to me for shooting the one and breaking the balls out
If the balls are set up exactly as in the diagram, the break out is actually quite natural.

additionally, the shot you end up with on the 2 ball isn't much fun either.
I agree 100% there. I missed my attempts at the 2 way more than I want to admit. (oh wait, I just admitted it. :grin-square:)

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Set that shot up again as Dave has it. Use high inside english
FYI, I didn't need inside on this shot. I used straight follow. The slight angle of the shot is enough to get the natural break-out. Why do you think the inside is required ... to create more cut angle?

strike whitey a little higher than you were
I notice that too. iusedtoberich is hitting the CB too low in his video.

Regards,
Dave