What happend to Earl?

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
I was looking through the past tournaments of the 1980's on this site to see how many tournaments Buddy Hall and Sigel were winning back in those days and seriously I was shocked to see how dominant Earl really was back in the Mid 1980's, from about 1984 till 1988 the guy won a ton of tournaments, his list looses nothing to Sigel, who really only tops Earl in 1986 when it seems Sigel must have been at his peak.

Earl is NOT a old guy even today, what the heck happend to him? He must have been a phenomenal "competitor" back in his youth, I dont say "player" because I think we all still know he has game and can play with the best when he is in the right mindset. Where is that mindset? What happend to him where he seemed to have a massive amount of killer instinct and confidence in the 1980's to today where he seems to have alot more trouble winning. Dont try telling me it is a more powerful pool scene today because Hall in his prime, Sigel, Efren was around then, Mathews, Parica, Varner, Rempe there was no shortage of top players back then.

I am quite a fan of Earl, The guy is really cool with his fans and has been good for the sport. I wish he was able to recapture the mindset of the past he had when he was alot more dominant. The guy still looses nothing to anyone in the world with regards to natural skill, it seems to all be mental problems I can only guess. I wonder if hypnosis regressing him back to the time when he had the RIGHT mindset going into matches and tournaments would help, sports psychology is a pretty common thing for atheletes and Earl is a premier enough player to justify this sort of thing.

I am not sure if Earl lurks, I know it may be intruding on his own private stuff and it is cool if he does not want to answer but if he did not mind I would love to hear a honest opinion on what he had then going on in his head from now? Was it the "young gun" feeling of shooting down the old guys he thrived on? I know the guy used to gamble and was pretty fearless, is the lack of that gambling spirit and edge to blame these days? The killer instinct it bestows? Whatever it is if you are reading this Earl whatever you lack from then to now please get it back, this sport needs the old you that seems to have had alot more confidence and killer instinct at the table.

cueball1950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to say that i am also a real big fan of Earl's. He has always treated me with respect the numerous times we have talked. And i would say that he was always blatantly honest every time we talked.
From talking with Earl on numerous occasions i would only like to add that Earl has been going thru some real personal problems the last few years and leave it at that.
There , of course will be people on here that will bash him for his attitude, but what the hay. Everybody has their own opinions. That is what makes this country so great...........................................mike

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could be wrong, but it seems as though, when compared to the mid-eighties, the present pool scene offers fewer tournaments big enough to draw Earl and players of his caliber.

Am I wrong?

kollegedave

Celtic said:
I was looking through the past tournaments of the 1980's on this site to see how many tournaments Buddy Hall and Sigel were winning back in those days and seriously I was shocked to see how dominant Earl really was back in the Mid 1980's, from about 1984 till 1988 the guy won a ton of tournaments, his list looses nothing to Sigel, who really only tops Earl in 1986 when it seems Sigel must have been at his peak.

Earl is NOT a old guy even today, what the heck happend to him? He must have been a phenomenal "competitor" back in his youth, I dont say "player" because I think we all still know he has game and can play with the best when he is in the right mindset. Where is that mindset? What happend to him where he seemed to have a massive amount of killer instinct and confidence in the 1980's to today where he seems to have alot more trouble winning. Dont try telling me it is a more powerful pool scene today because Hall in his prime, Sigel, Efren was around then, Mathews, Parica, Varner, Rempe there was no shortage of top players back then.

I am quite a fan of Earl, The guy is really cool with his fans and has been good for the sport. I wish he was able to recapture the mindset of the past he had when he was alot more dominant. The guy still looses nothing to anyone in the world with regards to natural skill, it seems to all be mental problems I can only guess. I wonder if hypnosis regressing him back to the time when he had the RIGHT mindset going into matches and tournaments would help, sports psychology is a pretty common thing for atheletes and Earl is a premier enough player to justify this sort of thing.

I am not sure if Earl lurks, I know it may be intruding on his own private stuff and it is cool if he does not want to answer but if he did not mind I would love to hear a honest opinion on what he had then going on in his head from now? Was it the "young gun" feeling of shooting down the old guys he thrived on? I know the guy used to gamble and was pretty fearless, is the lack of that gambling spirit and edge to blame these days? The killer instinct it bestows? Whatever it is if you are reading this Earl whatever you lack from then to now please get it back, this sport needs the old you that seems to have had alot more confidence and killer instinct at the table.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kollegedave said:
I could be wrong, but it seems as though, when compared to the mid-eighties, the present pool scene offers fewer tournaments big enough to draw Earl and players of his caliber.

Am I wrong?

kollegedave

you can usually find info on earl (and most other pro's) playing in tournaments every 1-3 weeks.

VAP

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to agree with you Celtic, it's all mental. When this animal gets it in his head he wants to win he is practically unstopable

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
Earl has become a prima donna and now prefers golf above pool, plus.... he's tempermental, that's 40% temper and 60% MENTAL.... imo

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to remember back in the 80's and early 90's, a large tournament field cosisted of 32 and once in great while 64 players and out of those 32 or 64 players only 5-6 players had a chance to actually win those tournaments, the players that didn't play in tournaments played for money.

Today there are hundreds of top players in the US and from around the world that have a ligitamite chance to win major tournaments and some do win. To these players, Earl and the rest of them are just another player to play. The mud is thick with talent....It is really tough for alot of these champions to dominate anylonger....

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I saw Earl play starting in 1987 in person. He was still a dominant force then. Earl has one strong power stroke. He can draw full table with no problem and his break was among the top of the field. The pockets were a little looser. The cloth was also slower then. So the pockets were easier, but you had to move the cue ball more, so power pool players ruled. That is my two cents on why Earl was dominanat then. With that strong running over you stroke and strut to match made a very intimitating opponent indeed.
Chris
www.internationalcuemakers.com

Rackin_Zack

Suffering from OCBD
Silver Member
I got to talk to George Breedlove about the mental side of the game and killer instinct while attending the lesson with Jeannette Lee et al in Indianapolis. George said that Earl had the most killer instinct of anyone he'd ever seen back then and had the most runaway victories. I would imagine that whatever issues were referenced in one of the above posts changed this about Earl in some way.

I've never had much of a killer instinct but I'm trying to learn that when you have someone down you're supposed to kick them...lol.

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
earl

My wife and i are fans of earl from along ago, she has a $2.oo bill signed by him from the1983 tournament at b.js loung in tucker ga. lots of good players there that night, buddy, my favorite, earl, david howard, allen hopkins, grady mathews,etc, ect, lots of good pool ,met avery young scottie towensin there also he was not well known then went low in players auction , but won big money . merories of old man thanks OLD MAN STICK :D

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Earl remains one of the great ones, and if he sets his mind to playing at his highest level, I wouldn't rule out another world championship. He can still light it up over the green felt and has great killer instinct.

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl won the 2002 world championship, which is probably the most difficult tournment to win with so many players from around the world compeating in. Other than Earl, when was the last time a US player won the world championships? Earl more than any other player in US pool history (including the rest of the world players) has placed in the top 5 (other than winning it) at the US open 9-ball championships. Both incredible feats....

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Rackin_Zack said:
I've never had much of a killer instinct but I'm trying to learn that when you have someone down you're supposed to kick them...lol.

Me too. That's why I go outside and stamp those annoying bugs and step on worms to develop my killer instinct. I'm a nasty killer beast, roooaaarr ! :D