BCN What the hell??

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For over a year a few matches from the 2005 US Open have been floating around video google to watch for free. Now all of a sudden you decide to charge people to watch them? Do you really expect anyone to pay for some grainy, choppy, and edited matches with commercials EVERY DAMN 2 MINUTES??? I'll make sure to never do business with you again.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
If you continue to post such old news I'm going to have to give you bad rep! :p

but seriously, this happened about a month ago.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Not sure if it was BCn's fault.

Those videos are pretty large and around 53mins each. Google might be adding the charge to them since you are sucking up there bandwidth. Im sure if you purchase the video from google, BCN is not getting any of that.

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
cuetechasaurus said:
For over a year a few matches from the 2005 US Open have been floating around video google to watch for free. Now all of a sudden you decide to charge people to watch them? Do you really expect anyone to pay for some grainy, choppy, and edited matches with commercials EVERY DAMN 2 MINUTES??? I'll make sure to never do business with you again.

Those were my thoughts exactly. :mad: I guess they didn't make enough money from the advertisements.

MacGyver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Um...:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=31037

Anyways... I dont think its about bandwith, a 53 mb file is the same as 10 5 mb files and google has them all over the place. With the number of pool players, i cant see how anyone would take more bw from BCN vids than a bunch of family guy or other sorts of things.

AFAIK only content providers can charge for vid's, I'm 95% sure BCN is the one that made them pay.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
MacGyver said:
Um...:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=31037

Anyways... I dont think its about bandwith, a 53 mb file is the same as 10 5 mb files and google has them all over the place.

Actually, I said a 53min (minute, as I stated above) file is a big difference then 10mb file. A 53 minute file in the google video format is roughly 600mb. I know this because when the option to download and save the videos was available I took advantage of it and have a few saved on my PC. The difference in a 600mb file and a 120 5mb files makes it an issue.

The only way BCn would be making money from this is if they SOLD the videos to google for them to distribute. Since you are paying google for the video, I doubt they are kicking out procedes from it to BCn.

MacGyver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
re-read what I wrote.

5 people downloading a 600mb video is the same bandwith as 300 people downloading a 10mb file.

If you look at their total bandwith, stupid little pool movies make up such a small number that its not even significant. Much more people are downloading the Family guy or whatever and using more bandwith.

Also, you obviously dont know what your talking about regarding google, its actually very simple:

You can upload whatever you want for free and set a price on it, if anyone buys it you get the price that you set it at minus the kickback to google for hosting it.

In no circumstance would google buy any video's lol

Please read the video google help threads before posting nonsense....

The buisness model and things you describe are just completely absurd for both google and the internet in general regarding these things... lol seriously, google buying video's, or google charging for bandwith? ROFL....

-macgyver
ps sorry if this sounds harsh or anything, but its quite something to read the thread and realize you have absolutly no idea what your talking about... the mere notion of GOOGLE VIDEO dropping a pool movie for bandwith reasons or buying it is just so absurd I cant even take it seriously....