One-Pocket Rocks

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
When I can play or practice, in addition to a few drills, I usually try to run some type of rotation that includes 8, 9, 10-ball, and straight. Well, a friend of mine taught me how to play one-pocket this weekend. It took a few racks, but this game kicks butt. I feel like my defensive play is improving quickly, more confidence with banks, as well as long shots. I've seen an immediate improvement and impact to the 8,9,10, and straight pool games. Also, I enjoy practice more and it's just another game to add to my arsenal of mediocre pool :D

For other newbs like me, if you haven't tried one-pocket, my advice is to spend a few moments and learn. It's fun, it helps other areas of your game, and it breaks up the monotony of the other games....give it a shot.

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
Big Perm said:
For other newbs like me, if you haven't tried one-pocket, my advice is to spend a few moments and learn. It's fun, it helps other areas of your game, and it breaks up the monotony of the other games....give it a shot.

LOL @ take a few moments and learn. I've been playing 1 hole for a couple of years now and I'm pretty sure I've only scratched the surface of the learning curve.

That being said, you've delivered some very sound advise, I too recommend that anybody that wants to really learn how to move around the table take up 1 pocket.

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
I also enjoy one pocket and the game has made me a lot better pool player in general.

After learning the game, I also enjoy watching and learning one pocket on tapes/DVDs much more than watching 9 balls.

Thunderball

Auto rep for belly laughs
Silver Member
One pocket is THE game.Perfect in many aspects.Position,cball speed,defense,statagy ect...the better player will come out in front dam near everytime.

I don't play much,but its just not real common here...but its getting there...great game.

Retail1LO

Pass the sugar!!!
Silver Member
One-pocket is my favorite game ever. I don't care for rotation games. They bore me to no end. One pocket though...man...it's like chess on felt. I love it. I'm a mediocre shot in any other game...but I play a tough game of 1-hole. I don't know why I excel at this one game. The reason I love the game so much outside of the critical thinking...is that I have to play banks and safeties so often...that when I encounter these situations in other games, I know what to do with them. I find that my friends that play 9 ball all the time are horrid at banks and safe play. Generally they only have to bank as a last resort...and most of those banks are cookie cutter variety. I just can't imagine a better way to pass a day in my pool hall than playing one-pocket.

philw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big Perm said:
When I can play or practice, in addition to a few drills, I usually try to run some type of rotation that includes 8, 9, 10-ball, and straight. Well, a friend of mine taught me how to play one-pocket this weekend. It took a few racks, but this game kicks butt. I feel like my defensive play is improving quickly, more confidence with banks, as well as long shots. I've seen an immediate improvement and impact to the 8,9,10, and straight pool games. Also, I enjoy practice more and it's just another game to add to my arsenal of mediocre pool :D

Big Perm, Gerry says it in his post but I would like to reitterate go to onepocket.org it's devoted to the game. You will enjoy it. Philw