Stroke Correction

ShaunTanYK

Custom Junkie
Silver Member
Hi AZ-ers,

My first time posting videos on myself online so bear with me.

I started Pool this year, started researching more on it and also got myself a personal cue. As such I am a really beginner starting on this sport, and I want to get my basics right.

I am going to post two videos on my stroke, it is not in the pool room, but I am actually showing my stroke when I visualize myself hitting (I don't get to play everyday, about once a week).

Please offer comments, feedback and criticism and I promise I will post up a video of me actually hitting balls soon.

(Edit: Recording a better video)

Shaun

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
1) Your right arm is too far back. Bring it forward--- closer to perpendicular

2) Your stroke is very tight, timid and rigid. Learn to flow more smoothly. If you TRY to stroke -- it probably won't look right. Your stroke should look more natural, more flowing.

3) You kind of plant your front foot and fall back. Learn to stand behind the shot and come forward-- don't stand at the shot and fall back.

4) You have almost no extension / follow-through after making contact with the CB. Pretend the CB is a hologram and finish your stroke

That's it for now-

ShaunTanYK

Custom Junkie
Silver Member
1) Your right arm is too far back. Bring it forward--- closer to perpendicular

2) Your stroke is very tight, timid and rigid. Learn to flow more smoothly. If you TRY to stroke -- it probably won't look right. Your stroke should look more natural, more flowing.

3) You kind of plant your front foot and fall back. Learn to stand behind the shot and come forward-- don't stand at the shot and fall back.

4) You have almost no extension / follow-through after making contact with the CB. Pretend the CB is a hologram and finish your stroke

That's it for now-

Thank you for your reply Spider.

1) Does that mean I should bring in my arm, dropping my elbow a little and forming a 90 degree? That felt more comfortable.

2) I will try to practise that.

3) How do I judge the distance?

4) I apologize for that, as I have limited practice space in my room, if I follow-throughed I would smash my tip straight into the wall. I will practise from another angle or in the pool hall.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, this is a first for me....someone asking for an opinion based on two 5-second videos of himself visualizing how he would shoot if he were actually shooting on a pool table, which he wasn't.

Based on what I see, my suggestion to you is to stop right now, get yourself a book on fundamentals and start over. I fear that if you continue in the way you are going, you will be ingraining bad habits into your game that will be difficult to correct. When you get your book, pay particular attention to the proper placement of your feet and your grip on the back of the cue. And by all means, do it on a pool table with balls and pockets.

Last edited:

ShaunTanYK

Custom Junkie
Silver Member
Well, this is a first for me....someone asking for an opinion based on two 5-second videos of himself visualizing how he would shoot if he were actually shooting on a pool table, which he wasn't.

Based on what I see, my suggestion to you is to stop right now, get yourself a book on fundamentals and start over. I fear that if you continue in the way you are going, you will be ingraining bad habits into your game that will be difficult to correct. When you get your book, pay particular attention to the proper placement of your feet and your grip on the back of the cue. And by all means, do it on a pool table with balls and pockets.

Hi Fran, Thanks for your honest replies.

I do not get to go to the pool room often as I have mentioned, I will be trying to do a video when I get to the pool room.

I do have books that I borrowed from the library and right now I am considering getting Lee Brett's book :)

Thanks again,
Shaun

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Gives new meaning to playing the ghost... :)

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Fran, Thanks for your honest replies.

I do not get to go to the pool room often as I have mentioned, I will be trying to do a video when I get to the pool room.

I do have books that I borrowed from the library and right now I am considering getting Lee Brett's book :)

Thanks again,
Shaun

Here's a suggestion for you Shaun, and for anyone else reading this who would like to post up a video of themselves for analysis: Don't post something up "for now" and then you'll post something better later.

Wait until you have the time and the opportunity to record something that makes sense. People are taking the time to look at it with the intent to try to help you. The least you could do is be a little more considerate of that and make a fair attempt.

ShaunTanYK

Custom Junkie
Silver Member
Here's a suggestion for you Shaun, and for anyone else reading this who would like to post up a video of themselves for analysis: Don't post something up "for now" and then you'll post something better later.

Wait until you have the time and the opportunity to record something that makes sense. People are taking the time to look at it with the intent to try to help you. The least you could do is be a little more considerate of that and make a fair attempt.

Hi Fran, I apologize for being so inconsiderate. I have since removed the video, thanks everyone for taking the time to help. Give me some time and I'll post something that isn't a waste of time.

Thanks,
Shaun