Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Are Mali cues decent playing cues (compared to other lower end production cues)?
Page 2 of 5 12 34 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#16)
jbcueman
Registered
jbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-16-2014, 12:07 PM

Yes,Yes,Yes. I do not know about the ones made in China.I have a mali prototype from 1993? that I have been playing with since then.Made in Massa chusetts.It is a one of a kind.I love it.Prior to that I always had a Mali.I have a brand new one,never used,put away.It is from the late 90's. If Mali would like to give me a few of their China models(top of the line,middle of the line & cheapest)I would be glad to try them out,make comparisons to each other as well as to the old Malis. They were a really nice cue.

Old
  (#17)
malidave
AzB Silver Member
malidave has a reputation beyond reputemalidave has a reputation beyond reputemalidave has a reputation beyond reputemalidave has a reputation beyond reputemalidave has a reputation beyond reputemalidave has a reputation beyond reputemalidave has a reputation beyond reputemalidave has a reputation beyond reputemalidave has a reputation beyond reputemalidave has a reputation beyond reputemalidave has a reputation beyond repute

03-17-2014, 08:08 AM

I have a mali sneaky pete, I am thinking it was one of the last American made models, I think it is from the 99 series.

The newest models are made overseas, but seem like nice quality.

Mine is really nice, points are perfect, nice finish, nice wood grain (rosewood) and plays well. I think it might be be a 5/16 x 14 pin.

Old
  (#18)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

10-12-2016, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
There were different mali logos. The first was a green logo that was boxed in, and it was sideways. Then the green logo without the box, then the same style logo but different color in the late 80's, then the gold logo. The green was around in the late 60's, 70's, and the gold showed up about the latter part of the 70's, or early 80's. The logo information was collated from various posts on AZB, so I cannot say for sure it is perfect.

The Mali company has been in business since 1826, 19 years before Brunswick started. I believe they started their cue making operations in a barn in 1961. Some of their mid-sxties cues were made under the name Cuesport. Rarely you can find one of their very early cues still with the logo on it. There was one recently on Ebay.

Mali began importing cues in 2001. Before that heir US made cues had various different joint types and ranged from inexpensive plain cues to fancier cues with splices and veneers. In general Mali did make good cues and may people treasure their old Mali cue. The old ones are considered collectible by many, but not generally those that collect the "custom" cues.

Personally, I think a good collection is incomplete without a good example of each Mali "era".

Mali started making cues for A. E. Schmidt in 1965. Mali was one of the cues I was looking at when I decided to buy my A. E. Schmidt Titlist.

https://bluebookofpoolcuevalues.com/...x?id=MALI_CUES

http://www.internationalcuemakers.com/?page=halloffame

*INTERNATIONAL CUEMAKERS HALL OF FAME*
For their outstanding contributions to the cuemaking art and industry, the following individuals have been elected into the International Cuemakers Hall of Fame:

Fred Mali Inducted 2014
Rarely does a man of Fred's educational background pursue cuemaking as a career. He was educated at Buckley, Groton, Yale and Harvard. He became the CEO of one of the oldest family run companies in New York, The Henry W.T. Mali & Co., Inc. (Mali Cloth) founded in 1826. Born in 1930 as Fredrick Johnston Mali, he was the fifth generation to be directly involved in the Billiard industry. He engineered many of the automated machines that manufactured the Mali brand of cues. His influence in the Billiard industry was wide spread as his company manufactured one of the most popular brands of table cloth and American made pool cues. He was also involved in the establishing of the Billiard Congress of America.
Fred first started manufacturing a line of cues for AE Schmidt Company in 1965 and named the cue manufacturing plant Cuesport. Shortly after this he started manufacturing his own line of cues under the Mali name. The Mali brand of cues never sought to enter the high end cue market, but always sought to provide quality cues in the player's price range. They continued manufacturing the cues in the United States until 2001 when they closed the factory. The Mali brand name continued on with imported cues. Fred passed away in 2007 and his influence on our industry still continues today.

Last edited by HawaiianEye; 10-12-2016 at 01:31 AM.

Old
  (#19)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

10-12-2016, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianEye View Post
Mali started making cues for A. E. Schmidt in 1965. Mali was one of the cues I was looking at when I decided to buy my A. E. Schmidt Titlist.

https://bluebookofpoolcuevalues.com/...x?id=MALI_CUES

http://www.internationalcuemakers.com/?page=halloffame

*INTERNATIONAL CUEMAKERS HALL OF FAME*
For their outstanding contributions to the cuemaking art and industry, the following individuals have been elected into the International Cuemakers Hall of Fame:

Fred Mali Inducted 2014
Rarely does a man of Fred's educational background pursue cuemaking as a career. He was educated at Buckley, Groton, Yale and Harvard. He became the CEO of one of the oldest family run companies in New York, The Henry W.T. Mali & Co., Inc. (Mali Cloth) founded in 1826. Born in 1930 as Fredrick Johnston Mali, he was the fifth generation to be directly involved in the Billiard industry. He engineered many of the automated machines that manufactured the Mali brand of cues. His influence in the Billiard industry was wide spread as his company manufactured one of the most popular brands of table cloth and American made pool cues. He was also involved in the establishing of the Billiard Congress of America.
Fred first started manufacturing a line of cues for AE Schmidt Company in 1965 and named the cue manufacturing plant Cuesport. Shortly after this he started manufacturing his own line of cues under the Mali name. The Mali brand of cues never sought to enter the high end cue market, but always sought to provide quality cues in the player's price range. They continued manufacturing the cues in the United States until 2001 when they closed the factory. The Mali brand name continued on with imported cues. Fred passed away in 2007 and his influence on our industry still continues today.
Very cool.

Lately we have seen more of the earliest Mali cues up for sale. I missed a nice example not long ago. This particular one was associated with a known player with a playing record, real provenance, so I hated missing out on that one. Three original shafts too.

It is sad that Mali is gone. But I think it's nice that you can get a nice example of an old one for not too much money and have a really cool playing cue.

I recently saw an import Mali that was maybe eight years old sell for as much as it did new. Amazingly, they seem to be holding their value.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#20)
Johnny Rosato
AzB Silver Member
Johnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond repute

10-12-2016, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinb386 View Post
I am looking for opinions about Mali cues (the ones with the flat faced 3/8x10 Mcdermott style joint).

Are they good quality (in comparison to other lower end production cues), and are they good hitting cues?

I am guessing that Mali cues are/were made in China, so how would you all rank Mali cues compared to all of the other production cues that are from China?

Thanks for your help.
A friend of mine bought one 10 or 12 years ago and I've never seen him make more than 2 balls in a row. I think it was 3/8x10.

I could not tell about quality,he's very hard on anything. It was pretty beat up at about 1 month old,(when I 1st saw it).

It didn't hit worth a shit,(IN MY OPINION). It could have been the tip,the diameter,the taper,the balance,etc.

I don't normally hit with or rate anything from China,buts he's a pal & begged me to hit a few & give him my OPINION,so I did !!!

Old
  (#21)
TCo
AzB Silver Member
TCo has a reputation beyond reputeTCo has a reputation beyond reputeTCo has a reputation beyond reputeTCo has a reputation beyond reputeTCo has a reputation beyond reputeTCo has a reputation beyond reputeTCo has a reputation beyond reputeTCo has a reputation beyond reputeTCo has a reputation beyond reputeTCo has a reputation beyond reputeTCo has a reputation beyond repute

10-12-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinb386 View Post
I meant to note "Are the older ones (with the 3/8x10 joint pin) better quality" (than the newer ones with the stainless steal joint)?
I have one from the trophy series as well circa 1995-96(?) SS joint and later added a predator shaft. One thing to note is that the joint is approx 1mm in radius larger than the predator.

Shaves a little of your knuckle if you break with it.

Overall, loved playing with it, retired 5 years ago for a samsara.

Be well.

TCo

Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin'
- LZ

50 by 50

Old
  (#22)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

10-12-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuglife520 View Post
I had a Mali v9 playing that I loved and used for many years until I regretabily shattered after a loss. Wish I could have that one back.
You thugs are all the same!

P.S. I like the original Mali cues. I played with several of them years ago and was always happy with how they felt.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Last edited by jay helfert; 10-12-2016 at 07:14 AM.

Old
  (#23)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2016, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCo View Post
I have one from the trophy series as well circa 1995-96(?) SS joint and later added a predator shaft. One thing to note is that the joint is approx 1mm in radius larger than the predator.

Shaves a little of your knuckle if you break with it.

Overall, loved playing with it, retired 5 years ago for a samsara.

Be well.
A few coats of clear finish over the shaft collar will get rid of that "lip".

Old
  (#24)
cfrandy
AKA: The Road Runner
cfrandy has a reputation beyond reputecfrandy has a reputation beyond reputecfrandy has a reputation beyond reputecfrandy has a reputation beyond reputecfrandy has a reputation beyond reputecfrandy has a reputation beyond reputecfrandy has a reputation beyond reputecfrandy has a reputation beyond reputecfrandy has a reputation beyond reputecfrandy has a reputation beyond reputecfrandy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-13-2016, 04:06 AM

Not sure exactly when (80-90's), but Mali turned over the production of their cues to Yuri Miki (Mezz) and the Adam Cue company. They were never made in China. They were made in Japan.

Players: Steve Klein /John Davis Balabushka Tribute
Showcase Purpleheart Sneaky.
Chris Nitti Brunswick Conversion Cues...coming soon!
Wraps: Imported Spanish Bull by Steve Klein
Shaft: Tiger Ultra X
Jump/Break: Tiger IceBreaker with Bull Leather Wrap
Case: Instroke 3X5, 2X2 (German), and It's George 1x2.

Old
  (#25)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2016, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrandy View Post
Not sure exactly when (80-90's), but Mali turned over the production of their cues to Yuri Miki (Mezz) and the Adam Cue company. They were never made in China. They were made in Japan.
It was around 2000, maybe 2001.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#26)
BmoreMoney
AzB Silver Member
BmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2016, 11:33 AM

Justin , I'm not exactly sure what is after with tip his question ( asking about playability vs collector desireability and value ) but I will give you what I got. Imo, the old Malis are great hitting cues. My first " real cue " ( not the $15 junk from Kmart with the tennis racket grip lol. it was probably about a late 70's model and it played great and I loved it. It had the big pin as I'm guessing most to the old ones did ( only joint I've seen with the exception I am about to mention ). There is a member here and sorry I can't remember his whole name right this second but it has " west " in it I believe. He is the go to guy in regards to these old Malis IMHO. He greatly helped me out with my pawnshop purchase of and old Mali a couple years back and he is Very knowledgeable and has a nice and big collection of catalogs and such. He was able to find my MAli in what I think was the first Mali catalog. I have the BEM, and unlike any of the other cues listed in that first catalog. I had the small pin but it was brass ( first time I had seen one on a Mali but hough it was pretty cool. Cue was in real nice shape and hits A TON! LOL��. Anyway if I can remember his name I'll post or maybe he will chime in, but as I said he could probably help you out big time. GL!

Oh sorry, wanted to add as to your original question - the old Malis are great cues, well made and play very nice imo. As others have said, they do seem to have a nice following which one would assume would help value but as of so far prices remain low. Picking a nice one up should cost you no more than say about $150. ( I paid either $15 or $20 bucks for mine from a pawnshop but that was just luck.

Last edited by BmoreMoney; 10-13-2016 at 11:38 AM.

Old
  (#27)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member

10-13-2016, 12:35 PM

Here is an old Mali thread, with a 1978-79 catalog that may be worth a look.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showth...i+bicentennial

Mali
Old
  (#28)
Nuts4Tascarellas
AzB Silver Member
Nuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Mali - 10-13-2016, 06:27 PM

I have one. This is a green logo - and it's for sale. Pretty hard to beat the hit of a big pin Mali... Newly refinished. $300
Attached Images

I don't talk while I play... the only English I speak is left, right, top, and bottom. ~Brad Hamel~

Old
  (#29)
BmoreMoney
AzB Silver Member
BmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2016, 06:47 PM

Justin, the guy I had mentioned in regards to Malis was actually Wilding lol . Got the " w" part right lol. The thread in question was the " Brass in Mali. here are the catalogs I got from Wildwing. If you are serious I would definitely hit him up, very cool dude! My $15 pawnshop score Isome the M-1.
Attached Images

Last edited by BmoreMoney; 10-13-2016 at 06:51 PM.

Old
  (#30)
Johnny Rosato
AzB Silver Member
Johnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuts4Tascarellas View Post
I have one. This is a green logo - and it's for sale. Pretty hard to beat the hit of a big pin Mali... Newly refinished. $300
Dangit Justin,you better jump on this one !!!

Page 2 of 5 12 34 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: