Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page How can we get USA women playing again?
Page 3 of 4 123 4

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
hitman22
AzB Silver Member
hitman22 has a reputation beyond reputehitman22 has a reputation beyond reputehitman22 has a reputation beyond reputehitman22 has a reputation beyond reputehitman22 has a reputation beyond reputehitman22 has a reputation beyond reputehitman22 has a reputation beyond reputehitman22 has a reputation beyond reputehitman22 has a reputation beyond reputehitman22 has a reputation beyond reputehitman22 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-27-2019, 01:16 PM

Maybe a little better class of Male along with mouth wash,deodorant and some manners might be the ticket..You know who you are charm boys...

Old
  (#32)
ghost ball
AzB Silver Member
ghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond repute

02-27-2019, 01:26 PM

Cuter cue design.

PUNiSH CHINA.

"People have to start realizing that if they are going to dick members around on AZ, it won't be forgotten about soon." from the blue hog rider

GLUE SAVES POOL

"When I shoot, my main concerns are if I made a good hit (including ball to rail) and the success of the shot (make or defense).
If you have played for a while, it is rare that you don't notice when it does not happen." from poolpro2

Old
  (#33)
RiverCity
AzB Silver Member
RiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond repute

02-27-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolhall60561 View Post
You must live in River City
That game with the 15 numbered balls is the devils tool....

Old
  (#34)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5785

02-27-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
What is going on with the WPBA?

The economy has been booming the past 5 years. The mens "tour" has added more and more GOOD opportunities for the men each of the past few years. The business in local pool rooms seems to be way up from 10 years ago, when it was the lowest I've personally ever seen. The international women are playing better than ever, and there are more of them.

All that said, why have the women's pro/satellite tours not picked up in the USA? Is there any way to fix it?

It almost seems like the women having an organization hurt them. They were flying high in the 90's, while the men weren't doing so well. But when the WPBA events started falling off, it seems the whole thing shut down, save for one event per year.

The men on the other hand had no organization. Did that alllow any Joe Shmo with some cash to attempt to start his own tournament or tour. Some failed, some failed after a few events, and some are still around. But, maybe it was this "free market" that actually allowed new promoters to take a chance?

What say you? How can we get the USA women playing again?
Your in box is full, call me 702-927-5689

Old
  (#35)
cueless
AzB Bronze Member
cueless has a reputation beyond reputecueless has a reputation beyond reputecueless has a reputation beyond reputecueless has a reputation beyond reputecueless has a reputation beyond reputecueless has a reputation beyond reputecueless has a reputation beyond reputecueless has a reputation beyond reputecueless has a reputation beyond reputecueless has a reputation beyond reputecueless has a reputation beyond repute

03-06-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburkm002 View Post
No offense but I wouldn’t want education hours spent playing pool. However I do agree about finding ways to get younger players involved. Doubt many pool halls even allow kids to play. So if dad doesn’t have a table in the basement. Chances are kids won’t even experience pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We are down to maybe 3 or 4 pool rooms in the Philly city limits + a few more in the surrounding suburbs and some of them serve alcohol. All of the leagues (APA, BCA, TAP and others) play in bars on 7 ft tables. Can't get young people involved early if there is no place to play until they are old enough to drink alcohol.

Old
  (#36)
SBC
AzB Silver Member
SBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond repute

03-06-2019, 08:18 AM

WPBA died when Brunswick stopped putting tournaments on ESPN. There is nobody else going to pay 50k to produce a one hour made for TV event.

Pool is a fringe sport....sooner people accept that the better.

Matchroom sports involvement will be big but the American media won't follow it.

Old
  (#37)
Taxi
AzB Silver Member
Taxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond repute

03-06-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
WPBA died when Brunswick stopped putting tournaments on ESPN. There is nobody else going to pay 50k to produce a one hour made for TV event.

Pool is a fringe sport....sooner people accept that the better.

Matchroom sports involvement will be big but the American media won't follow it.
Believe it or not, Sports Illustrated once published one of the best articles ever written on Pool. Of course it was 42 years ago, but the main subject is still very much alive and with us today.

EASY TIMES THE HARD WAY
After long years on the hustle, pool shooter Danny D realizes that he bought a dream. He has also discovered—too late—that the price was exorbitant

Old
  (#38)
KAP1976
AzB Silver Member
KAP1976 has a reputation beyond reputeKAP1976 has a reputation beyond reputeKAP1976 has a reputation beyond reputeKAP1976 has a reputation beyond reputeKAP1976 has a reputation beyond reputeKAP1976 has a reputation beyond reputeKAP1976 has a reputation beyond reputeKAP1976 has a reputation beyond reputeKAP1976 has a reputation beyond reputeKAP1976 has a reputation beyond reputeKAP1976 has a reputation beyond repute

03-06-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
Have you ever heard of Interscholastic sports? They seem to have plenty of time for sports like baseball, basketball and football, not to mention golf and tennis and various other healthy sporting activities. Having pool as an interscholastic sport would be an easy addition with no special facilities required (an empty classroom could easily accommodate two pool tables) or equipment (house cues are fine). Plus many kids LOVE to play pool!
High schools have bowling programs now too. It's a scholarship sport at many colleges - Vanderbilt and Nebraska to name two.

Old
  (#39)
JessEm
AzB Silver Member
JessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond repute

03-06-2019, 10:06 AM

Designer purses as prizes.

Women afraid of heights that I know would takeup mountain climbing if there were designer purses at the top.

Tad Lofstrom custom
Samsara Jump/Break
vintage Brunswick by Schmelke

Old
  (#40)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

03-06-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi View Post
Believe it or not, Sports Illustrated once published one of the best articles ever written on Pool. Of course it was 42 years ago, but the main subject is still very much alive and with us today.

EASY TIMES THE HARD WAY
After long years on the hustle, pool shooter Danny D realizes that he bought a dream. He has also discovered—too late—that the price was exorbitant
Although this article was written on the struggles of being a top pool player 42 years ago, virtually nothing has changed since then - very sad.

Old
  (#41)
jbcueman
Registered
jbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond repute

03-06-2019, 01:33 PM

How about more television coverage? How about bringing them back to the BCA National Tournament? Why did the Challenge of Champions Tournament abandon the Mohegan Sun? More poolrooms would be nice especially to bring up kids with the game of pool.Where do they learn,in bars? Pool is sad and so is golf.Many country clubs selling out & closing.

Old
  (#42)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-06-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryhanna View Post
Last big event here in the states Siming Chen played, The WPBA Ho-Chunk Classic $50,000 purse.

Siming lost to April Larson in the Quarter finals and had to settle for 4th place in the event.

So you might want change that USA Women have Zero chance to something else
That's a bit odd that she lost to April.

On the bright side, a girl local to me has beaten April often in events, and I can beat that other girl about half the time, so that means I can beat Siming! Whoot! Pro tour, here I come!

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#43)
gxman
AzB Silver Member
gxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond repute

03-06-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
That's a bit odd that she lost to April.

On the bright side, a girl local to me has beaten April often in events, and I can beat that other girl about half the time, so that means I can beat Siming! Whoot! Pro tour, here I come!
You have a fargo rating?

Old
  (#44)
spartan
AzB Silver Member
spartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond reputespartan has a reputation beyond repute

Talking 03-06-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
Although this article was written on the struggles of being a top pool player 42 years ago, virtually nothing has changed since then - very sad.
Well, SI has declined a lot since then. Biweekly now. May be closed down soon. I mean who reads a mag these days?

Old
  (#45)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-06-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxman View Post
You have a fargo rating?
It's not as high as Aprils hehe, I was making a bit of a joke about winning a set vs long term matches. I get too lazy to maintain a good game for more than 5-6 balls, soon as I see the game is done I stop paying attention and miss. Why do you think I have my screen name here? First 2/3 of the rack I can play with a lot of players, I just don't care too much if I win.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: