How to Find the Perfect Pool Stance

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
One suggestion is to add something geared towards women players. Yes, in the same principles apply, but I have personally found a better willingness to work on this aspect when it is directed towards them and how to compensate for their anatomy.
Good idea. And there are some women at my local pool hall and bowling league who would make perfect "subjects;" although, I doubt they would be willing.

Men of different shapes and sizes also have trouble at times with "anatomy" (e.g., gigantic muscles, large bellies, and man boobs) getting in the way. I have special dances for that too. :grin-square:

Regards,
Dave

Sean Hallett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Dr Dave. Would you recommend your exact pool stance for me? I've had a ACL replacement on each knee and have lower back problems, i'm also 6ft. Do you think having both knees bent and a wider snooker stance like yours would be better for me?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi Dr Dave. Would you recommend your exact pool stance for me? I've had a ACL replacement on each knee and have lower back problems, i'm also 6ft. Do you think having both knees bent and a wider snooker stance like yours would be better for me?
I would think so, but the only way to know is to try. It sounds like it might be time for a "stance dance." :grin-square:

Regards,
Dave

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Did you get a chance to watch my stroke video yet? ...
At snooker the cue often rubs the chest. Some pool students find that contact very useful to stabilize the cue stick. I had one student whose right arm shakes so much left-right and forward-back from a medical problem that he was considering changing to playing left-handed. Contact with the chest helps stabilize him a lot. Those of us with a lot of natural swoop also find it useful.

I think one thing that you didn't mention is that snooker players have the chin in contact with the cue throughout the stroke. I think the two huge advantages that gives is that the cue will be in exactly the same spot relative to the vision on every shot and the player has immediate feedback if the cue stick wanders away from where it should be. I've seen at least two snooker players with bandaged chins due to this close contact.

As for the weight balance, it would be interesting to have players stand on two scales and note how much weight is on each foot and by subtraction how much is on the table.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
At snooker the cue often rubs the chest. Some pool students find that contact very useful to stabilize the cue stick. I had one student whose right arm shakes so much left-right and forward-back from a medical problem that he was considering changing to playing left-handed. Contact with the chest helps stabilize him a lot. Those of us with a lot of natural swoop also find it useful.

I think one thing that you didn't mention is that snooker players have the chin in contact with the cue throughout the stroke. I think the two huge advantages that gives is that the cue will be in exactly the same spot relative to the vision on every shot and the player has immediate feedback if the cue stick wanders away from where it should be. I've seen at least two snooker players with bandaged chins due to this close contact.
I mentioned the chest and chin contact in the video, but I did not demonstrate it very well. I didn't realize how bad my demonstration was until I was editing, and I didn't want to go back to film more (my hamstring was already killing me, and still is from all of the "textbook" stance demonstrations). I guess a piston stroke (required to maintain chest and chin contact) just doesn't come naturally to me.

As for the weight balance, it would be interesting to have players stand on two scales and note how much weight is on each foot and by subtraction how much is on the table.
That's a great idea. I'll try it the next time I'm at a store that sells scales, where I can have two identical weight scales handy. I might even splurge and purchase two cheap bathroom scales. :eek:

Thanks for the input,
Dave

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I guess a piston stroke (required to maintain chest and chin contact) just doesn't come naturally to me.
I have noticed that some snooker players seem to open and close the mouth to maintain chin contact. Chest contact is harder to monitor.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...it would be interesting to have players stand on two scales and note how much weight is on each foot and by subtraction how much is on the table.

That's a great idea. I'll try it the next time I'm at a store that sells scales, where I can have two identical weight scales handy. I might even splurge and purchase two cheap bathroom scales.
If you do it at a table, in order to simulate the stance accurately I guess you'll need to put something (a book?) under your bridge hand the same thickness as the scales on the floor - to "raise the table" the same distance.

And we'll be needing video. :)

pj
chgo

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I guess a piston stroke (required to maintain chest and chin contact) just doesn't come naturally to me.
I have noticed that some snooker players seem to open and close the mouth to maintain chin contact. Chest contact is harder to monitor.
I'll look for this. Do you happen to have a link to a video example?

I usually open my mouth when I'm touching my chin to the cue to verify proper alignment, but then I close it to create clearance before the stroke. That way I can use a pendulum stroke and keep my head and mouth still after alignment and during the stroke (in theory at least ... I still move my head at times during the stroke, which I hate seeing on video).

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's a great idea. I'll try it the next time I'm at a store that sells scales, where I can have two identical weight scales handy. I might even splurge and purchase two cheap bathroom scales. :eek:
If you do it at a table, in order to simulate the stance accurately I guess you'll need to put something (a book?) under your bridge hand the same thickness as the scales on the floor - to "raise the table" the same distance.

And we'll be needing video. :)
I guess I'll need to really splurge and buy three bathroom scales now.

Or maybe I'll just settle for my "gut appraisal" that the weight is fairly equally balanced between my two feet. In other words, "Ain't nobody got time for that." :grin-square:

Regards,
Dave

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new YouTube video in which I demonstrate "textbook" or "orthodox" pool and snooker stances and offer advice and techniques to help an individual find their own perfect stance. Here it is:

How to Find the Perfect Pool/Snooker/Billiards Stance

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Did I leave out anything important?

Do you think I represented anything incorrectly?

Thank you in advance for the feedback,
Dave
Great job, Dave. Solid advice and really helpful graphics.

I think some music during the "dancing" would be a nice touch...

pj <- he got movez
chgo

SmokinJoe46

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to say I loved and am still laughing at the arm wiggle & chicken dance! You got some moves Doc!
Great video!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have to say I loved and am still laughing at the arm wiggle & chicken dance! You got some moves Doc!
Great video!
Thanks. I’m glad you liked the dance moves ... and the video content.

Regards,
Dave

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
They always did say, having the footwork of Fred Astaire didn't hurt your game.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Any suggestions for music?
Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkuu0Lwb5EM

Seems to work well with floppy arms. And booty shaking.:groucho:
I don't know, I kind of like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrTE6UNIuwY
Those are both pretty good, especially the 2nd but for a good stroke-arm “wet noodle” workout, it is tough to beat Pee Wee Herman’s Tequila. :grin-square: