Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Fargo Rate Question
Page 4 of 4 « First 234

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#46)
sixpack
AzB Silver Member

sixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-09-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
Were those handicapped races? In which case that sound correct. The reason there is handicapping is to make the weaker player win as much as the better player, if done properly. For win/loss rating that is, if you both beat the same players by the same score that would be odd. If you played a 500 and you won 5-4, then he should beat that same person with a 5-2 score, over time. A 550 is a B, a 647 is an A, you would know if you were a B and he was an A, there are pretty clear differences.
Not handicapped.

Splitting time between Chicago and San Francisco.

"If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it." - Mark Twain

Old
  (#47)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-10-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpack View Post
Not handicapped.
Then in several matches you should notice a difference. I've beaten players ranked better than me often, even. Does not mean that in a year the matches will end up being even, but a tournament or two it can happen.

Simple way to tell if one of your rankings is off. 550 is a B, can you run out on the ghost with ball in hand 8 or 9 balls to beat the ghost? If not, then 550 is right for you. Can your 650 friend? If he can't, then 650 is too high for him. I circle the 550 ranking, been within 20 points of that pretty much since I got into the Fargo system. I can beat the 7 ball ghost but not sure if I can the 8 ball ghost. That is the right speed for a B+, which matches my Fargo pretty well. I've had a few 2 and 3 pack 9 and 8 ball runs, but very few. I can run out a rack of 8 or 9 ball a few times a night in a tournament. Again, in line with B, B+ play. If you can do better, say you run a 2 pack every night or run out every 3rd game, then you are too low in Fargo.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#48)
sixpack
AzB Silver Member

sixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond repute

06-10-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Then in several matches you should notice a difference. I've beaten players ranked better than me often, even. Does not mean that in a year the matches will end up being even, but a tournament or two it can happen.

Simple way to tell if one of your rankings is off. 550 is a B, can you run out on the ghost with ball in hand 8 or 9 balls to beat the ghost? If not, then 550 is right for you. Can your 650 friend? If he can't, then 650 is too high for him. I circle the 550 ranking, been within 20 points of that pretty much since I got into the Fargo system. I can beat the 7 ball ghost but not sure if I can the 8 ball ghost. That is the right speed for a B+, which matches my Fargo pretty well. I've had a few 2 and 3 pack 9 and 8 ball runs, but very few. I can run out a rack of 8 or 9 ball a few times a night in a tournament. Again, in line with B, B+ play. If you can do better, say you run a 2 pack every night or run out every 3rd game, then you are too low in

Thank you for the insight.

I took 10 years off and am working my way back into form but only playing 1 night a week. Lol. So on a bar table I can run out quite a bit and beat 7 ball ghost easily. When I quit I was beating the 9 ball ghost on medium tight 9í table.

I win a lot of games with experience more than outright firepower. Our league is 1 game each (8b) against 4 players. You break two. I BNR once in a while but certainly not every week. Although I do get out on open tables a lot.

I donít think Iím very far out of line on my Fargo rating as Iím playing now. Iím on the verge of getting Ďití back though and then my game is going to jump and then Iíll be underrated. Incidentally I just checked the other player and he has dropped to a 600. Maybe there is something to this Fargo rating after all?

Old
  (#49)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-10-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpack View Post
Thank you for the insight.

I took 10 years off and am working my way back into form but only playing 1 night a week. Lol. So on a bar table I can run out quite a bit and beat 7 ball ghost easily. When I quit I was beating the 9 ball ghost on medium tight 9’ table.

I win a lot of games with experience more than outright firepower. Our league is 1 game each (8b) against 4 players. You break two. I BNR once in a while but certainly not every week. Although I do get out on open tables a lot.

I don’t think I’m very far out of line on my Fargo rating as I’m playing now. I’m on the verge of getting ‘it’ back though and then my game is going to jump and then I’ll be underrated. Incidentally I just checked the other player and he has dropped to a 600. Maybe there is something to this Fargo rating after all?
If you can beat the 9 ball ghost on a 9 footer that would make you an A. As long as players play their real game, and have a bunch of games in the system, the rating will even out. Especially when paying even against people. I think handicaps make Fargo take longer to get to a real rating since many game situations can come up that equal a win but won't tell you how you played. If you have point spots like in USAPL, you can loose to someone where they win one game to your 3 or 4 or even 5 due to making balls but not winning. My son's Fargo rating has not gone up playing league, but soon as we stopped and played in even race events, he went up 25 points.

So your old game is A level, this other player went to a 600, also A level (A-), means you and him are even, and the ratings will catch up.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Last edited by hang-the-9; 06-10-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Old
  (#50)
sixpack
AzB Silver Member

06-10-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
If you can beat the 9 ball ghost on a 9 footer that would make you an A. As long as players play their real game, and have a bunch of games in the system, the rating will even out. Especially when paying even against people. I think handicaps make Fargo take longer to get to a real rating since many game situations can come up that equal a win but won't tell you how you played. If you have point spots like in USAPL, you can loose to someone where they win one game to your 3 or 4 or even 5 due to making balls but not winning. My son's Fargo rating has not gone up playing league, but soon as we stopped and played in even race events, he went up 25 points.

So your old game is A level, this other player went to a 600, also A level (A-), means you and him are even, and the ratings will catch up.
Makes sense.

Iím a big fan of Fargo ratings. I do question some situations though just because it is so new. My questions shouldnít be interpreted as bashing or criticism.

I havenít had any time to play rated tournaments because of some work and personal things the last year (which is also why Iím at one night a week usually) but I canít wait to play some weekend events. Especially bar table stuff. Hopefully my schedule will loosen up in a couple of months.

Old
  (#51)
jbcueman
Registered
jbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond reputejbcueman has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2019, 07:59 PM

Possibly David Vandenberg ? If not,I am pretty sure that he can help you find out who runs it.

Page 4 of 4 « First 234

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: