Billiard Digest - Player of this Decade?

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has it been announced? Who wins?

I think it has to be Shane, overall.

As a reminder, Johnny won in the 90s and Mika won in the 2000s.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You would get absolutely no legitimate argument there. As far Shane's $ tournament winnings over the past decade - Shane is likely 2X as much as the next closest challengers - likely Pagulayan or Orcollo. He has proven to be among the very best in virtually every major discipline of pool - 8-ball, 9-ball, 10-ball, 14.1 and even one-pocket!

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Shane does not win it something is wrong. Obvious selection with all the disciplines he won. Nobody else runs a close second.Just my thoughts.:smile:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Shane would get my vote here. He's been a top five player for the entire decade and he has the titles to back up the claim.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

As a reminder, Johnny won in the 90s and Mika won in the 2000s.
For one the decade doesn't end until 2020. 2020 is last yr of the decade not 2019. There is no year '0' on either the Gregorian or Julian calendars.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
For one the decade doesn't end until 2020. 2020 is last yr of the decade not 2019. There is no year '0' on either the Gregorian or Julian calendars.

Interesting. Here's some food for thought for nothing else other than discussion. I think millienia are counted as you're suggesting, but the common definition for a decade I don't believe would be logically the same way. When we say, "the 70's" for example, I think by inspection, the years would be 70-79. I suppose if we were talking about the "8th decade of the 20th century," then that would be 1971-1980.

Not that it matters. Shane would get my vote.

Freddie <~~~ doesn't get a vote

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting. Here's some food for thought for nothing else other than discussion. I think millienia are counted as you're suggesting, but the common definition for a decade I don't believe would be logically the same way. When we say, "the 70's" for example, I think by inspection, the years would be 70-79. I suppose if we were talking about the "8th decade of the 20th century," then that would be 1971-1980.

Not that it matters. Shane would get my vote.

Freddie <~~~ doesn't get a vote
In common everyday usage i would agree. Technically decades/centuries start with '1' and end in '0'. When 2000 rolled around i won a bet with the local newspaper on this. They had no clue there was no year '0'.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Definitely Shane but why the hel did Mika win and not Efren?

I’m a big fan of Mika’s game but I was surprised too. To be honest, he had that big run through 2008 and 2009 and I think that was too fresh in everyone’s minds. That and his two world titles that bookended the decade.

I agree that Efren or Raif were the form players of the decade. But I suppose they may have also thinking of major wins where Mika won two world titles and two US Opens, while also being the first player since Varner to defend the US Open.

Brain71

Railbird
Silver Member
I’m a big fan of Mika’s game but I was surprised too. To be honest, he had that big run through 2008 and 2009 and I think that was too fresh in everyone’s minds. That and his two world titles that bookended the decade.

I agree that Efren or Raif were the form players of the decade. But I suppose they may have also thinking of major wins where Mika won two world titles and two US Opens, while also being the first player since Varner to defend the US Open.

I understand. That's a good point. I was thinking hindsight of course.