Portland, Maine hall folded

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad day. The primary pool room in Portland, Maine - Union Station Billiards announced today that they will not reopen. This is going to cripple the APA and all pool in Maine. Absolutely heartbreaking.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Sad day. The primary pool room in Portland, Maine - Union Station Billiards announced today that they will not reopen. This is going to cripple the APA and all pool in Maine. Absolutely heartbreaking.

Now's the time to grab a bank loan and scoop up the wreckage, you can get a turnkey business for pennies on the dollar. Many landlords will give great price breaks in rent if you lock in longer terms with a multi-month deposit

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Thats sad. One trip there I was able to play at The Rack in Bangor, Downeast in Ellsworth and Union Station in Portland. I was only in each place for an hour a piece. I hope there is a chance that someone can blow life back into it.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Was that formerly Kerry Hebert's Spot Shot Billiards, site of The Maine Event 25 years ago? Too bad; nice room.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm afraid there will be many.
My room in NY will be closed 18 weeks. If it were my only source of income or I had the high rents of some areas, it would be over.

For rooms that survive they may be lucky to make half what they do. There won't be big groups of league players , bar service or lots of casual players coming in. And pool usually slows significantly in colder areas during the summer.

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Thats sad. One trip there I was able to play at The Rack in Bangor, Downeast in Ellsworth and Union Station in Portland. I was only in each place for an hour a piece. I hope there is a chance that someone can blow life back into it.

Next time you're coming thru, please let me know. In regular times I play at The Rack every week. They're itching to open again.

This is very sad about Union Station Billiards. It will hurt pool in the Portland area, and it is where our State APA tourney is usually held. Hopefully once things become more normal again, someone else will open it back up.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
This is not the first, or last room that will be force to close because of no income for 6 weeks. Most Pool Rooms have a Tought time making end meet in good times. Covid - 19 killed another small business.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Next time you're coming thru, please let me know. In regular times I play at The Rack every week. They're itching to open again.

This is very sad about Union Station Billiards. It will hurt pool in the Portland area, and it is where our State APA tourney is usually held. Hopefully once things become more normal again, someone else will open it back up.

You have a deal. I have played all over the country just to say I have been in many rooms, and have met many of AZ forum members when visiting these rooms.

When traveling with my wife many times I have the option of playing pool or shopping, its always a tough call on which one I should choose;)

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
Was that formerly Kerry Hebert's Spot Shot Billiards, site of The Maine Event 25 years ago? Too bad; nice room.

Yes, it was. Originally the Spot Shot was down at the end of that plaza -- later moving to it's last location and I believe after being renovated after some fairly serious water damage, it became Union Station. Grady had a big One Pocket tournament there in 2000, which was kind of a One Pocket coming out for both Corey Deuel and Alex Pagulayan. It was also kind of a sayonara to Boston Shorty, Johnny Ervolino and Larry Lisciotti, competitively if not literally.

I always enjoyed stopping by when I was passing through. The last couple times I went by it was in the afternoon and they were opening at something like 5 so I missed out :frown:

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow! I loved that pool room. You used to have to walk down the staircase to get inside, but inside, it was pure pool. We were there in 2004 when Kerry owned it. If you smoked cigarettes, it had to be outside, which was cool back then. It kept the inside fresh.

It was a combination Joss Tour Season Finale and Larry Lisciotti Memorial. Kid Delicious won it. Keith got in action with Kid Delicious and Grady at the event.

Waiting to play his next match with Karen Corr, Earl was whining about having to play "the girl," and while practicing before the match, Keith taunted Earl. Karen sat nearby. It was an odd moment, but the photo says it all.

Attachments

• Earl Karen and Keith in Maine.JPG
    Earl Karen and Keith in Maine.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 463
  • Joss-RI and Maine 069.JPG
    Joss-RI and Maine 069.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 453
  • Keith Hillbilly Diana.JPG
    Keith Hillbilly Diana.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 447
  • players.JPG
    players.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 458
  • Kerry and Keith.JPG
    Kerry and Keith.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 462

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow! I loved that pool room. You used to have to walk down the staircase to get inside, but inside, it was pure pool. We were there in 2004 when Kerry owned it. If you smoked cigarettes, it had to be outside, which was cool back then. It kept the inside fresh.

It was a combination Joss Tour Season Finale and Larry Lisciotti Memorial. Kid Delicious won it. Keith got in action with Kid Delicious and Grady at the event.

Waiting to play his next match with Karen Corr, Earl was whining about having to play "the girl," and while practicing before the match, Keith taunted Earl. Karen sat nearby. It was an odd moment, but the photo says it all.

Man, there are some memories in those pics, JAM! And people no longer with us :crying:
I'm seeing Ginky, Grady and Kerry -- all three gone...

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suspect the Maine governor will be one of many politicians whose political career will not extend beyond the current term.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man, there are some memories in those pics, JAM! And people no longer with us :crying:
I'm seeing Ginky, Grady and Kerry -- all three gone...

Yes, for sure. Good times at that pool room. It will be missed.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
And for some good news....recently I saw on my Facebook feed that Union Station Billiards has a new owner, and is expecting to re-open in Mid-September, if all goes to plan.

(I'm at work so I can't access Facebook to copy the exact message)

A very good thing, indeed.