Should I clean the chalk off my cue?

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So a few times I have wiped my cue stick down with alcohol. Mostly I just hang it in my closet and wash my hands once I am done touching the cue case. Anywho the few times I have clean my cue with rubbing alcohol I wipes the tip and clean the chalk off. Should I be doing this under normal circumstances? If so how often? Or should I not do this? If not why?

Thanks

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not saying you do or don’t apply chalk correctly. What I am saying is make sure you watch Dr. Dave’s
video on the proper way to apply chalk to your cue’s tip. There are a vast number of players that apply
chalk that needlessly discolor their cue’s ferrules, shafts and their hands. It never hurts to be reminded.

Another consideration is the brand chalk you use. Some brands just are less messy, or cleaner, so when
combined with better chalking techniques, the results are vastly better than what you may be experiencing.

Lastly, I think using alcohol opens up the wood graininess of the shafts and unless you are applying some
type of sealant or leather burnish the shafts, that invites faster discoloration of the shafts, at least that has
been my experience. The shaft wood should have its pores resealed after using alcohol to help clean them.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
its your cue do what you like

iu

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
So a few times I have wiped my cue stick down with alcohol. Mostly I just hang it in my closet and wash my hands once I am done touching the cue case. Anywho the few times I have clean my cue with rubbing alcohol I wipes the tip and clean the chalk off. Should I be doing this under normal circumstances? If so how often? Or should I not do this? If not why?

Thanks

Alcohol does not "open the graininess (whatever that is) of the shafts".. It actually closes the grain. Water opens the grain. Alcohol is quick drying and is a good cleaner for closed grain hard woods like maple... As for using it on leather tips, I'd guess it's ok but I use a slightly damp paper towel for that. Using alcohol on shafts is fine and safe. A cheap hand finishing technique after cleaning with alcohol is to use a piece of plain white copy paper to shine the shaft up.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Alcohol dissolves glue. If you apply it liberally to leather tips, they may pop off.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one is answering my question. Also the only reason I am putting alcohol on my cue at all is because of Covid-19. If the virus was not here I would not even be doing this. How hard is it to simply answer if I should clean off the chalk. Which again I would not normally do at all. I would leave the chalk on. I guess I should ask what is proper cue stick maintenance?

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
No one is answering my question. Also the only reason I am putting alcohol on my cue at all is because of Covid-19. If the virus was not here I would not even be doing this. How hard is it to simply answer if I should clean off the chalk. Which again I would not normally do at all. I would leave the chalk on. I guess I should ask what is proper cue stick maintenance?

I think I heard Dr. Fauci taking about the Covid spikes from chalk dust. One can't be too careful. I run my tips under ultra violet light when done playing.

goin2bepro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since you are cleaning to protect from the virus, you should be wiping it down with alcohol after every shot. This is because your bridge hand touches the table and the table is the common touch point for all players thus would have the highest probability of having COVID.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dont think its a common practice to remove chalk
For virus issues use your own chalk and use a pocket holder so it diesnt touch the table
Then wipe it down too at the end of your session
Since as mentioned the table felt could be a source of virus and your hand touches the chalk
I hooe you dont mind that i went beyond answering your question......:grin:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's because they're trying not to laugh. You need to ask someone this???? Seriously?? To wipe or not to wipe, that is the question.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Do you apply chalk to your cue with your right hand, or your left hand?
Are you right handed or left handed?
Does it make a difference over time?
Thanks.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you apply chalk to your cue with your right hand, or your left hand?
Are you right handed or left handed?
Does it make a difference over time?
Thanks.
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice one. Its like asking should i put on my left or right sock first. Crazy.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Use the bridge on every shot, including the break. Your hands never need touch the cloth.

As to your unanswered question, only if it is older than 21 years.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member

Your question didn't say anything about the virus. I good rule for cleaning anything is to use the least aggressive method that still works. Warm water on a barely damp soft cloth should remove chalk. Info on what will kill viruses is available from far more reliable sources than the knuckleheads here. At least one will just tell you to shield it from 5G cell phone towers.

You want to know whether to clean off the chalk but have decided to clean the virus. I have no idea how you could possibly sanitize it and not also clean it. Some of your questions are simply unanswerable .

Last edited:

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks

I did not understand you were concerned about the virus, however to give an accurate answer more information is needed,i.e., maple or ash wood, laminated, metal, fiberglass, etc.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
1. Many people over chalk.

2. Many people do not know how much, how little or how to chalk.

3. I have been know to wipe the chalk off Tip before storing Cue in Case. Object is Chalk Free Case.

4. My methoids are clean cloth, or spinning on rug.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You should probably more clear about the questions you ask.

Your newness to our world does not mean we and our like have not been discussing it for decades.

Cue cleaning is not new. Covid cleaning is.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Info on what will kill viruses is available from far more reliable sources than the knuckleheads here. At least one will just tell you to shield it from 5G cell phone towers. ...
Hey! I resemble that remark. :mad:

And no one has proven that cell phone towers are not a plot by the Triumvirate to sap our precious bodily fluids.:eek:

But seriously, folks, the obvious solution is to get a carbon fiber shaft for which the recommended cleaner is alcohol.