Sailor Barge

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know anything about him? I heard he ran
350 balls on a 5 x 10 table in the 1930's.
Has anyone heard about this run? If it's true
I'd have to say it's amazing....I've always
thought Mosconi's 363 or 365 on a 5 x 10 to
be more impressive than the 526 on an 8 footer.

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
The Sailor

(This thread was originally in Onepocket.org's forum)

The latest edition of Banking With The Beard has a photo of William Sailor Barge in first few pages. I didnt locate the photo until the first editions were already printed. The Sailor's aiming system, which I detail in my book, is to me the only accurate way to aim at a pool ball. In another pool forum they have discussed for at least thirty pages of threads, Hal Houle's aiming system. It is looked upon as extrordinary, but it is a duplicate of the Sailor's system only much less detailed and much less comprehensive. I can unabashedly say that I stole the Sailor's system en toto and reproduced it in my book. (The Sailor's high run was 356 on a 5 x 10 table!)

the Beard
Bank on, brother! Old school pool.

Attachments

• sailor barge web.jpg
    sailor barge web.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,260

BackPocket9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you see him match up with any top players from back in the day? I'm assuming he didn't play in tournaments -- more of a road player like Johnny Irish.

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Low key man

BackPocket9Ball said:
Did you see him match up with any top players from back in the day? I'm assuming he didn't play in tournaments -- more of a road player like Johnny Irish.

There were few big tournaments then. What he would do was to sneak up and down the coast under different names and take off the local tournaments. He was a true hustler and avoided the notoriety of playing with the big guns. The ones that knew him didnt want the action anyway. His specialty was 50 or no count on a 5x10 against eggs for small money.

The Beard

the Beard

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
freddy the beard said:
(This thread was originally in Onepocket.org's forum)

The latest edition of Banking With The Beard has a photo of William Sailor Barge in first few pages. I didnt locate the photo until the first editions were already printed. The Sailor's aiming system, which I detail in my book, is to me the only accurate way to aim at a pool ball. In another pool forum they have discussed for at least thirty pages of threads, Hal Houle's aiming system. It is looked upon as extrordinary, but it is a duplicate of the Sailor's system only much less detailed and much less comprehensive. I can unabashedly say that I stole the Sailor's system en toto and reproduced it in my book. (The Sailor's high run was 356 on a 5 x 10 table!)

the Beard
Bank on, brother! Old school pool.

Wow! 356 on a 5 x 10. Thanks for the info
Freddy.

Bobby

joe marra

Registered
Sailor Bill played in the room that I grew up in "Cue Town" in Staten Island, NY in the mid-60's. The thing I remember most about him is that he came in and went to table #1 carefully put his cue togather, then ran a couple of hundred balls and when he got tired he stopped playing and put his cue up. He also introduced me to 3 cushion and I thank him for that. Mosconi came in to do an exhibition and would not play Bill, he was a truly great player.

jbcueman

Registered
I knew the Sailor and I would like to share what he told me once .He told me he once ran 32 racks(448 balls) in 1948 at a pool hall that I can not remember the name of.He said"if you don't believe me,go to so & so's poolroom and you will see my name right below a guys name and right above anothers.I asked him if he was so good why had I not heard of him.He rattled off a bunch of names and asked me if I knew them and I said no.He said the reason why was that there was more money to be made by NOT being known.I also heard that he played in a straight pool tournament and it was a 4 out of 7 race(kind of odd) and that he ran 100 and out four games in a row! I would love to get all the information that anyone has on him.I watched him shoot and he was very very smooth and good.Thank you so much.