Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Are Mali cues decent playing cues (compared to other lower end production cues)?
Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Are Mali cues decent playing cues (compared to other lower end production cues)?
Old
  (#1)
justinb386
Banned
justinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Are Mali cues decent playing cues (compared to other lower end production cues)? - 08-14-2012, 12:12 PM

I am looking for opinions about Mali cues (the ones with the flat faced 3/8x10 Mcdermott style joint).

Are they good quality (in comparison to other lower end production cues), and are they good hitting cues?

I am guessing that Mali cues are/were made in China, so how would you all rank Mali cues compared to all of the other production cues that are from China?

Thanks for your help.

Old
  (#2)
Saturated Fats
AzB Silver Member
Saturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2012, 12:57 PM

I could be wrong, but I think the 3/8 x 10 Mali's were made in the USA and the later Asian cues have a metal joint color and a different pin. I have had several of older ones and I think they are great for the money.

Old
  (#3)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-14-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturated Fats View Post
I could be wrong, but I think the 3/8 x 10 Mali's were made in the USA and the later Asian cues have a metal joint color and a different pin. I have had several of older ones and I think they are great for the money.
My first cue was a Mali from the Trophy Series purchased in 1987. It had an SS collar. I would find it hard to believe that it was made somewhere other than the USA.

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#4)
justinb386
Banned
justinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond reputejustinb386 has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2012, 02:41 PM

Thanks for your replies. I recently learned that very few production cues are made in the USA these days. The only ones that I know of that are made in the USA (not including the custom cue makers that are production, like J Pechauer cues for example) are the ones below.

Schon
Joss
Meucci
Viking
McDermott
Schmelke

I have no idea where Mali cues are/were made, but I never knew that they are/were american made cues. If they ever were made in america, than they must have been decent quality cues (I am guessing). I see that they have (or had) a Vintage series (that retailed for the $200 and over range) in the link below.

http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cue..._pool_cues.htm

I am mostly curious about their playability, and quality. Are the onder ones (with the 3/8x10 joint pin) better quality? Are the Mali cues even being made anymore? Thanks.

Old
  (#5)
justinb386
Banned

08-14-2012, 02:46 PM

I meant to note "Are the older ones (with the 3/8x10 joint pin) better quality" (than the newer ones with the stainless steal joint)?

Old
  (#6)
thuglife520
thuglife520
thuglife520 has a reputation beyond reputethuglife520 has a reputation beyond reputethuglife520 has a reputation beyond reputethuglife520 has a reputation beyond reputethuglife520 has a reputation beyond reputethuglife520 has a reputation beyond reputethuglife520 has a reputation beyond reputethuglife520 has a reputation beyond reputethuglife520 has a reputation beyond reputethuglife520 has a reputation beyond reputethuglife520 has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2012, 02:53 PM

I had a Mali v9 playing that I loved and used for many years until I regretabily shattered after a loss. Wish I could have that one back.

Playing Cue- Dale Perry
Back up- Mali v-9

Mali cues WERE made in the good ol' USA (now China!)
Old
  (#7)
nancewayne
AzB Silver Member
nancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond repute

Mali cues WERE made in the good ol' USA (now China!) - 08-14-2012, 02:59 PM

I don't know exactly when the U.S. production stopped (or perhaps transended to import)...probably around when the "Asian Invasion" came in the mid-late 80's. The early Mali's were VERY WELL MADE and some even have collector value! F.Y.I.

Old
  (#8)
justinb386
Banned

08-14-2012, 03:30 PM

That is interesting. I am very curious how I would be able to identify the well made american made Mali cues. Are all of the older 3/8x10 (with wooden threads in the shaft) Mali cues American made? Some of the older Mali cues look very nice, and I am just surprised that they are worth so little (if they are not cheap Asian imports). I never thought much about Mali cues in the past (always thought that were cheaply made junk cues), but now I am very curious about them. I guess that I may have been very wrong about the cues. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancewayne View Post
I don't know exactly when the U.S. production stopped (or perhaps transended to import)...probably around when the "Asian Invasion" came in the mid-late 80's. The early Mali's were VERY WELL MADE and some even have collector value! F.Y.I.

Old
  (#9)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2012, 03:43 PM

There were different mali logos. The first was a green logo that was boxed in, and it was sideways. Then the green logo without the box, then the same style logo but different color in the late 80's, then the gold logo. The green was around in the late 60's, 70's, and the gold showed up about the latter part of the 70's, or early 80's. The logo information was collated from various posts on AZB, so I cannot say for sure it is perfect.

The Mali company has been in business since 1826, 19 years before Brunswick started. I believe they started their cue making operations in a barn in 1961. Some of their mid-sxties cues were made under the name Cuesport. Rarely you can find one of their very early cues still with the logo on it. There was one recently on Ebay.

Mali began importing cues in 2001. Before that heir US made cues had various different joint types and ranged from inexpensive plain cues to fancier cues with splices and veneers. In general Mali did make good cues and may people treasure their old Mali cue. The old ones are considered collectible by many, but not generally those that collect the "custom" cues.

Personally, I think a good collection is incomplete without a good example of each Mali "era".

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#10)
justinb386
Banned

08-14-2012, 04:09 PM

That is very interesting info. Reminds me of Huebler cues (with the sideways logo in their very 1st line of cues), but I know that Huebler cues are much more valuable. Thanks for posting that very interesting info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
There were different mali logos. The first was a green logo that was boxed in, and it was sideways. Then the green logo without the box, then the same style logo but different color in the late 80's, then the gold logo. The green was around in the late 60's, 70's, and the gold showed up about the latter part of the 70's, or early 80's. The logo information was collated from various posts on AZB, so I cannot say for sure it is perfect.

The Mali company has been in business since 1826, 19 years before Brunswick started. I believe they started their cue making operations in a barn in 1961. Some of their mid-sxties cues were made under the name Cuesport. Rarely you can find one of their very early cues still with the logo on it. There was one recently on Ebay.

Mali began importing cues in 2001. Before that heir US made cues had various different joint types and ranged from inexpensive plain cues to fancier cues with splices and veneers. In general Mali did make good cues and may people treasure their old Mali cue. The old ones are considered collectible by many, but not generally those that collect the "custom" cues.

Personally, I think a good collection is incomplete without a good example of each Mali "era".

Old
  (#11)
OTB
I DIDN'T DO IT!!!!
OTB has a reputation beyond reputeOTB has a reputation beyond reputeOTB has a reputation beyond reputeOTB has a reputation beyond reputeOTB has a reputation beyond reputeOTB has a reputation beyond reputeOTB has a reputation beyond reputeOTB has a reputation beyond reputeOTB has a reputation beyond reputeOTB has a reputation beyond reputeOTB has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3900

08-14-2012, 04:20 PM

rather have a Mali than a Meucci...........hey that rimes.;lol

~ Old Time Billiards Pool Hall ~
Cues: Mottey ~ Titlist
Shaft: OB-1 & pre-cat Predator 314
Tip: Area 51 Shit!!
Breaker: McDermott (Tweeked NG-02)
Case: (2) Justis 2x4 Brown (Python Diamonds & Ring Tail), 2x2 O'neil , (2) 1x2 Fellini,1x2 Ron Thomas, 1x1 Whitten Tan Ostrich,1x2 GTF

~I DONT GAMBLE, I GIVE IT AWAY... STOP BY AND SHOOT A GAME~...J.H.
~STAKING YOURSELF IS THE SIGN OF TRUE TALENT!!~..Orig. Quote by J.H.
C-Note Lock

Old
  (#12)
JMW
Seen Your Member
JMW has a reputation beyond reputeJMW has a reputation beyond reputeJMW has a reputation beyond reputeJMW has a reputation beyond reputeJMW has a reputation beyond reputeJMW has a reputation beyond reputeJMW has a reputation beyond reputeJMW has a reputation beyond reputeJMW has a reputation beyond reputeJMW has a reputation beyond reputeJMW has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinb386 View Post
Thanks for your replies. I recently learned that very few production cues are made in the USA these days. The only ones that I know of that are made in the USA (not including the custom cue makers that are production, like J Pechauer cues for example) are the ones below.

Schon
Joss
Meucci
Viking
McDermott
Schmelke.
Don't forget OB Cues. Made in Plano, Texas.

Old
  (#13)
Roy Vadas
Baby Seal Clubber
Roy Vadas has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Vadas has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Vadas has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Vadas has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Vadas has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Vadas has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Vadas has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Vadas has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Vadas has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Vadas has a reputation beyond reputeRoy Vadas has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2012, 05:46 PM

Mali's were made in the US all the way prior to the Vintage Series in 2001. I have a bunch of them and play with them all the time. 3/8x10 and SS joints. I love em all. Don't think any Mali has ever felt cheap to me, though their market doesn't show that.

Roy

Veni - Vidi - Vici

old mali
Old
  (#14)
mortuarymike-nv
mortuarymike-nv
mortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

old mali - 08-14-2012, 05:49 PM

I have a old mali cue .

I think they are a good cue. mine has white phenolic joints a but cap.

MMike

MMike

Old
  (#15)
DavidMNienow
Glamour Dave
DavidMNienow has a reputation beyond reputeDavidMNienow has a reputation beyond reputeDavidMNienow has a reputation beyond reputeDavidMNienow has a reputation beyond reputeDavidMNienow has a reputation beyond reputeDavidMNienow has a reputation beyond reputeDavidMNienow has a reputation beyond reputeDavidMNienow has a reputation beyond reputeDavidMNienow has a reputation beyond reputeDavidMNienow has a reputation beyond reputeDavidMNienow has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via Yahoo to DavidMNienow  
08-14-2012, 06:21 PM

I used to sell Mali cues when I was in college, and when I worked for my local pro shop. The USA made Mali cues were and remain one of the best values when you can find one. I would pass on any of the modern import Mali cues. But definitely I would look for a USA made Mali cue through Ebay if your wishing to add to one's collection.

My Playing Cues: Phillippi, Runde, Schon, Coker
My Case: 4x8 butterfly case
My Tools: Ultimate Chalker, Ultimate Tip Tool, Q-Wiz
Other Cues: Nova - McDermott - Falcon
Home Pool Room: Rack'em, Medford, Oregon.
See my work online at:
http://www.TheFineArtofGlamour.com
http://www.facebook.com/glamourdave

Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: