Multiple short races is a great format!

ineedaspot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First, for people complaining that races to 5 are two short, the mosconi format of race to 11 races to 5 is roughly the statistical equivalent to a single race to 65. If one team wins 51% of the games, in either race-to-65 or the mosconi format, the favorite has a 59% chance of winning. If the better team wins 55% of games, in both formats the favorite will win 87% of the time.

But how much more exciting is multiple short races than a race-to-65 would be? Pressure is on each set from the very beginning.

The same thing could work with regular tournaments. A race-to-11 is the rough statistical equivalent of best 2-out-of-3 races to 5. Best 3-out-of-5 races to 5 is about the same as a race to 17. In either case, especially in the race to 17, I think it would be a lot more exciting to watch multiple short races.

This is why in tennis, they play 3-out-of-5 sets, each of which goes to 6 games, rather than a single big 20-game set, which would statistically be the closest equivalent.

The only thing I think could be improved is that the lag is very important in a short race. I'd rather see win-by-2 in alternate breaks, with maybe some kind of tiebreaker like in tennis if it goes 5-5, though I don't know what the tiebreaker would be (forced push-out after the break maybe).

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First, for people complaining that races to 5 are two short, the mosconi format of race to 11 races to 5 is roughly the statistical equivalent to a single race to 65. If one team wins 51% of the games, in either race-to-65 or the mosconi format, the favorite has a 59% chance of winning. If the better team wins 55% of games, in both formats the favorite will win 87% of the time.

But how much more exciting is multiple short races than a race-to-65 would be? Pressure is on each set from the very beginning.

The same thing could work with regular tournaments. A race-to-11 is the rough statistical equivalent of best 2-out-of-3 races to 5. Best 3-out-of-5 races to 5 is about the same as a race to 17. In either case, especially in the race to 17, I think it would be a lot more exciting to watch multiple short races.

This is why in tennis, they play 3-out-of-5 sets, each of which goes to 6 games, rather than a single big 20-game set, which would statistically be the closest equivalent.

The only thing I think could be improved is that the lag is very important in a short race. I'd rather see win-by-2 in alternate breaks, with maybe some kind of tiebreaker like in tennis if it goes 5-5, though I don't know what the tiebreaker would be (forced push-out after the break maybe).

Good post. Hopefully puts to rest those loooong races to 100 and 1000 or 10000
LOL

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I agree with everything except win by two. The Mosconi Cup, a marathon contest contrary to the views of a few, has everything a fan could ask for:

Short races, in this case to five
Alternate break rule in effect
Shot clock with one extension per rack
Golden breaks count in all pockets
No racking disputes, rack inspection allowed, no reracks
Only a few minutes of downtime between matches

Everyone gets to play, the sportsmanship remains high, the most exciting shot in the game counts, there is late match pressure in most matches and little time is wasted. Most importantly, the matches are of a fairly predictable length, something that win by two would ruin. I can actually plan my day around the Mosconi Cup, and I'm not sure that's true of any other pool event.

Matchroom is the only pool production company that doesn't let the whimsical requests of the pros get in the way of giving viewers what they want.

Last edited:

ineedaspot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with everything except win by two. The Mosconi Cup, a marathon contest contrary to the views of a few, has everything a fan could ask for:

Just a few minutes of downtime between matches

Everyone gets to play, the sportsmanship remains high, the most exciting shot in the game counts, and little time is wasted. Most importantly, the matches are of a fairly predictable length, something that win by two would ruin. I can actually plan my day around the Mosconi Cup, and I'm not sure that's true of any other pool event.

Matchroom is the only pool production company that doesn't let the whimsical requests of the pros get in the way of giving viewers what they want.

I see your point about keeping it short and simple. On the other hand, with the tennis analogy, the winner of the lag starts out the set "up a break", which kind of breaks the symmetry and the idea that you need to steal a break from the other guy to win.

How about win-by-2 with a tiebreaker of some sort at 5-5? For example, at 5-5 they play one more game with mandatory pushout after the break? The race length would be predictable in that case. I really think there's something to the "hold your serve" thing and needing to "break serve" to win a set.

Don't get me wrong, it's great the way it is. Just tossing out ideas here.

poolscholar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Different than a race...

For example a team could win 10 matches 5-0 and the other team wins 11 matches 5-4. The winning team wins 55 games while the losing team wins 94 games.

I haven't done the math, but I would guess more randomness in the short race format (which is good for the underdog).

ineedaspot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Different than a race...

For example a team could win 10 matches 5-0 and the other team wins 11 matches 5-4. The winning team wins 55 games while the losing team wins 94 games.

I haven't done the math, but I would guess more randomness in the short race format (which is good for the underdog).

I've done the math. The randomness in the Mosconi format is about the same as the randomness in a race to 65. What do I mean "about the same". Basically, it's the closest approximation. The randomness in the Mosconi format is less than that of a race-to-64, and more than a race-to-66.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well said!!

If you cant win in this format, you just cant win. The USA has multiply games with one, two or three balls on the table and they didn't win!!!!! These are pros, our best players and they aren't getting out with those lay outs, then a race to 50, 100 or what ever would only embarrass them more.

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dare not leave my TV set through fear of missing the ACTION!!
This is all down to the SHORT RACES
:thumbup:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
because it's NOT true.

Good point; I hadn't thought of it that way.

You're resetting and changing team composition, emotional dynamics etc..

Not to mention the psychological factors of it being accepted that races to 5 do NOT show the better player. Single rolls affecting the outcome of matches, etc...

It's a JOKE that is designed to entertain, not determine the best...

Jaden

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks ineedaspot. I had posted something similar in another thread and had similar numbers. But I had compared the race to 11 sets to a single race to 55, and had found that the 11 separate races were very slightly more favorable to the better team than the single race.

But your single race to 65 as a comparison is better, and it's interesting that the short sets come out almost exactly the same as the long race. And you're right that they're more exciting.

However, according to AtLarge's stats, the lag doesn't seem to matter in these matches. And there have been very few hill-hill matches anyway.

ineedaspot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not to mention the psychological factors of it being accepted that races to 5 do NOT show the better player. Single rolls affecting the outcome of matches, etc...

Jaden

Of course races to 5 "show the better player". Even a single rack shows the better player, in that the better player is more likely to win. If you mean "does the better player always win" then the answer is no, even with a race to 100.

The longer the race, the more likely the better player wins. One race to 5 for the whole Mosconi cup would be silly. But multiple short races are equivalent to one long race, and also more exciting to watch. Pressure is on from the beginning.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well....,

Jaden

So who on this team other than Shane can beat any of the top players from Europe?
John, Justin H and Justin B are good players, but they are not going win in a race to 5 or 500 against far better players that are seasoned tournament players, Corey, might but not consistently.

This aint gambling where you keep playing as long as you money last, this is tournament play, discipline, decisions, execution is top priority.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member

You make some decent points but the whole idea of short races is primarily to speed up an event (both the entire event and the downtime between matches) and multiple short races in a given match doesn't accomplish this. This is also why the double elimination final has become a rarity. It doesn't really matter much which format is the most exciting if the finals are going on til 4 or 5 AM Monday morning. No one is watching anyway.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
well...

So who on this team other than Shane can beat any of the top players from Europe?
John, Justin H and Justin B are good players, but they are not going win in a race to 5 or 500 against far better players that are seasoned tournament players, Corey, might but not consistently.

This aint gambling where you keep playing as long as you money last, this is tournament play, discipline, decisions, execution is top priority.

Justin Hall just beat Karl Boyes in the us open. he beat nick van denburg also, a past mosconi cup member for Europe... Also Daryl Peach, I believe a world champion and former mosconi cup team member for Europe as well.

All of these guys are world class and can beat each other in any match on any given day, a race to 5 much more easily than a race to 11 or 13.

Jaden

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First, for people complaining that races to 5 are two short, the mosconi format of race to 11 races to 5 is roughly the statistical equivalent to a single race to 65.
I spent the the greater part of the morning convincing myself this is true since I found it counter-intuitive initially. But it is true.

This brought me to a rather startling discovery (at least for me). For a fixed number of games needed to win a match, statistically speaking it always favors the better player if it is split up into sets as opposed to a single race.

So using the above example, 11 races to 5 will favor the better player compared to a single race to 55. Another example, two sets of 8 will favor the better player compared to a single race to 16.

That's the math.

Thanks for the very illuminating post.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
THat's the math, it isn't the reality.

I spent the the greater part of the morning convincing myself this is true since I found it counter-intuitive initially. But it is true.

This brought me to a rather startling discovery (at least for me). For a fixed number of games needed to win a match, statistically speaking it always favors the better player if it is split up into sets as opposed to a single race.

So using the above example, 11 races to 5 will favor the better player compared to a single race to 55. Another example, two sets of 8 will favor the better player compared to a single race to 16.

That's the math.

There are more variables than the statistics of probability for this to be valid.

You're allowing for better player, but that's just not the case.

You are only allowing for a one dimensional analysis here. It's multidimensional.

Jaden

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see your point about keeping it short and simple. On the other hand, with the tennis analogy, the winner of the lag starts out the set "up a break", which kind of breaks the symmetry and the idea that you need to steal a break from the other guy to win.

How about win-by-2 with a tiebreaker of some sort at 5-5? For example, at 5-5 they play one more game with mandatory pushout after the break? The race length would be predictable in that case. I really think there's something to the "hold your serve" thing and needing to "break serve" to win a set.

Don't get me wrong, it's great the way it is. Just tossing out ideas here.

Very interesting, "mandatory pushout after the break". This would bring out the shot makers --- are you a man or a mouse? lol.

icucybe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Only a few minutes of downtime between matches

Everyone gets to play, the sportsmanship remains high, the most exciting shot in the game counts, there is late match pressure in most matches and little time is wasted. Most importantly, the matches are of a fairly predictable length, something that win by two would ruin. I can actually plan my day around the Mosconi Cup, and I'm not sure that's true of any other pool event.

I like the short races and this format too! Thats what makes it so different and is easier to relate for legue players!

Win by two rule I would have to give it more thought.

poolscholar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's the math.

11 races to 5 is a max of 99 games while a race to 55 is a max of 109 games. Seems like the long race would favor the better player with more games.

If someone could post the math that would be appreciated