Marking the Aiming Point on the Rail

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play in a partners pool league that has no limits on coaching. There is a player, when coaching his partner, will hold his finger at the point on the rail while his partner lines up the kick. I have seen this done by other players but it will only be a quick point, but holding your finger for 10 seconds or more while your partner lines up seems to be a bit like cheating.

Is it ?

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play in a partners pool league that has no limits on coaching. There is a player, when coaching his partner, will hold his finger at the point on the rail while his partner lines up the kick. I have seen this done by other players but it will only be a quick point, but holding your finger for 10 seconds or more while your partner lines up seems to be a bit like cheating.

Is it ?

Why? If there are no limits on coaching , he could theoretically stay with his finger in the spot until the shot is over.
Teach them the spot on the wall, and you won't have to watch him play pointy fingers.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d be okay with it. I think any format among amateurs with coaching permitted is meant to help weaker players learn. It’s a lesson I feel I’ve learned late. Some things that feel really important in the moment aren’t nearly worth the concern we apply to them when we look back on it later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d be okay with it. I think any format among amateurs with coaching permitted is meant to help weaker players learn. It’s a lesson I feel I’ve learned late. Some things that feel really important in the moment aren’t nearly worth the concern we apply to them when we look back on it later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was watching a talk show with Cher as a guest. She said something really interesting that I took note of (go figure). She said her mother taught her that "If it doesn't matter in 5 years then it doesn't matter." I'm not sure if I believe the 5 year thing but it is good food for thought and helps keep things in perspective.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I was watching a talk show with Cher as a guest. She said something really interesting that I took note of (go figure). She said her mother taught her that "If it doesn't matter in 5 years then it doesn't matter." I'm not sure if I believe the 5 year thing but it is good food for thought and helps keep things in perspective.
What about when no one is there to point for you?
Eventually..... "We all shoot alone.":wink:

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I don't feel those types of things make shots. It gives the player shooting an idea of where to aim but I think that kind of over the shoulder coaching makes the shooter play worse.

It makes the player too conscious of the shot and their mechanics, aim, etc. It's hard to play conscious pool. There is no rhythm, little fluidity to their shots.

Practice your pre-shot routine being conscious of each step and see how you play. I do this type of practice to ingrain my pre-shot routine, but I have lower expectations of making the ball. You will never find the zone playing like that imo.

All that being said, that kind of coaching annoys me.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody who needs a finger held to guide their shot probably can hit the mark 5/10 times anyway.No big deal.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Is it ?

In leagues where you can coach, the rule I remember is that you can point to where they need to hit but you can't leave anything there to mark the shot and you need to step away from pointing at the spot when they get down to shoot. Meaning while you are explaining it to them you can point at the spot, then they get down to shoot, you walk away. If there is no set rule on this, I would suggest that one, point all you want, soon as the player starts to get in their stance to shoot, walk away.

Last edited:

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d be okay with it to. It’s just not a big deal in a league like that. We have a tendency to takes things too serious.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Anybody who needs a finger held to guide their shot probably can hit the mark 5/10 times anyway.No big deal.

I agree...my opponents can use surveying equipment if they want.

In my early twenties I was giving a guy a very hefty spot at snooker....just $20 a game.
...I won the first two and the guy said if he could have a coach...he could beat me.
...he was a popular local musician so a bunch of sweaters chimed in...
...”Yeah, let us coach him.”
So I said “He can have as many coaches as he wants....but each coach has to bet the
same amount he’s betting.”.....so seven guys put up $20 each...
...after the first game, three guys dropped out...after the second the rest quit...

...the guy had a stance that looked like a cheap lawn chair that a fat guy sat in....:eek: