Reload this Page Fargo Rate Question
Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Fargo Rate Question
Old
  (#1)
MarknTorrance
AzB Silver Member
MarknTorrance has a spectacular aura aboutMarknTorrance has a spectacular aura aboutMarknTorrance has a spectacular aura about

vCash: 500

Fargo Rate Question - 06-07-2019, 02:36 PM

I run a BCA league. This year I had to give a fargo rates to new players. I wasn't happy about this but was told to use comparable to other players so that
is what i did. One player hadn't played* since fargo started so he had no number. I used comparable and started him at 545. My league was 12 weeks long and he had a strong season. After he entered the tournament CSI bumped him up to 618. This would make him the 2nd strongest player in my league and more then likely bump him from gold to platinum. He is a good player but I feel this rating is very unfair. Tried to deal with CSI and get no where. I was curious if anyone knows who the top dog at CSI is and to here some thoughts on the subject.

Mark

Old
  (#2)
sixpack
AzB Silver Member

sixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond repute

06-07-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarknTorrance View Post
I run a BCA league. This year I had to give a fargo rates to new players. I wasn't happy about this but was told to use comparable to other players so that
is what i did. One player hadn't played* since fargo started so he had no number. I used comparable and started him at 545. My league was 12 weeks long and he had a strong season. After he entered the tournament CSI bumped him up to 618. This would make him the 2nd strongest player in my league and more then likely bump him from gold to platinum. He is a good player but I feel this rating is very unfair. Tried to deal with CSI and get no where. I was curious if anyone knows who the top dog at CSI is and to here some thoughts on the subject.

Mark
My first thought is that he possibly plays better than you think he does.

My second thought is that the great thing about Fargo is it will work itself out. If he has been playing over his head it will be corrected sooner rather than later.

Leagues are funny when it comes to Fargo rating. I play in a non handicapped league where I tied for top shooter with a guy rated almost 100 points higher than I am. We played pretty much all the same players and I played them the same as he did. He beat me head-to-head but just barely.

I know the system should shake out in the end but there seems to be some variability.

Splitting time between Chicago and San Francisco.

"If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it." - Mark Twain

Old
  (#3)
DecentShot
AzB Silver Member
DecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond repute

06-07-2019, 05:35 PM

My thoughts have less to do with CSI and more to do with your end of the story. You say he was bumped up "after" a tournament. I assume this after he entered (played?) in said tournament and not just signed up and was told your now a 600+? If so do you know the speed of the players he played? I could see how at a glance someone would look to be 545 and catch gear in a tournament and look/be way better. The story reads that your initial concern was warranted, and Fargo straightened it out.

Old
  (#4)
Joe Pickens
AzB Silver Member
Joe Pickens has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Pickens has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Pickens has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Pickens has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Pickens has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Pickens has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Pickens has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Pickens has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Pickens has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Pickens has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Pickens has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 900

06-07-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpack View Post
My first thought is that he possibly plays better than you think he does.

My second thought is that the great thing about Fargo is it will work itself out. If he has been playing over his head it will be corrected sooner rather than later.

Leagues are funny when it comes to Fargo rating. I play in a non handicapped league where I tied for top shooter with a guy rated almost 100 points higher than I am. We played pretty much all the same players and I played them the same as he did. He beat me head-to-head but just barely.

I know the system should shake out in the end but there seems to be some variability.
My understanding about Fargo is that it doesn't matter if he just barely beat you. The system goes strictly by wins and losses. So, even if he did just barely beat you all the system sees is that he beat you.

Old
  (#5)
sixpack
AzB Silver Member

sixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond repute

06-07-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pickens View Post
My understanding about Fargo is that it doesn't matter if he just barely beat you. The system goes strictly by wins and losses. So, even if he did just barely beat you all the system sees is that he beat you.
Yep. But the other xxx matches we played during the season we had the same record against the same players and hes rated a 647 and Im about 550.

Old
  (#6)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-07-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
No. Fargo counts each rack. 11-0 is very different from 11-10.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#7)
JohnnyOzone
AzB Silver Member
JohnnyOzone has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyOzone has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyOzone has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyOzone has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyOzone has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyOzone has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyOzone has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyOzone has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyOzone has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyOzone has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyOzone has a reputation beyond repute

06-07-2019, 07:21 PM

I don't like LOs getting involved with "adjusting" Fargo ratings or starting a player where they "think" they should be unless said player is known state ranked / master player. Otherwise start them at 525 and have at it. The only problem I have seen with using FargoRate is that some leagues report to it and some (many) don't. Some players (I am one) benefit from this. Some do not. In the end, I think it is the best rating system I have seen and will work out once more leagues start reporting to it.

Walk among the living

Old
  (#8)
Joe Pickens
AzB Silver Member
Joe Pickens has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Pickens has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Pickens has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Pickens has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Pickens has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Pickens has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Pickens has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Pickens has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Pickens has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Pickens has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Pickens has a reputation beyond repute

06-07-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
No. Fargo counts each rack. 11-0 is very different from 11-10.
Then maybe I didn't understand exactly what Mike Page meant when he said Fargo goes by wins and losses.

Old
  (#9)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

06-07-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Then maybe I didn't understand exactly what Mike Page meant when he said Fargo goes by wins and losses.
Of each rack, not match wins and losses. He has talked about this extensively before here.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#10)
Joe Pickens
AzB Silver Member

06-07-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Of each rack, not match wins and losses. He has talked about this extensively before here.
Exactly, you can't win a game 11-10 based on a ten point system. The winner of the game gets 10 points and the loser receives a point for each ball made. So it doesn't matter if you win 10-0 or 10-7 since it depends on who wins the game.

Old
  (#11)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member

06-07-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Exactly, you can't win a game 11-10 based on a ten point system. The winner of the game gets 10 points and the loser receives a point for each ball made. So it doesn't matter if you win 10-0 or 10-7 since it depends on who wins the game.
Sorry, I didn't understand that you were talking about point-system eight ball.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#12)
Joe Pickens
AzB Silver Member

06-07-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't understand that you were talking about point-system eight ball.
Oh, anyway I finally figured out that we were both saying the same thing it was just that we were both looking at a different format. If it was a race to 11 then yes there is a big difference between winning 11-10 as compared to 11-0. When he said in league I just assumed that he was talking about ten-point 8 ball, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I think we were both on the same page and didn't know it.

Old
  (#13)
sixpack
AzB Silver Member

06-08-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Oh, anyway I finally figured out that we were both saying the same thing it was just that we were both looking at a different format. If it was a race to 11 then yes there is a big difference between winning 11-10 as compared to 11-0. When he said in league I just assumed that he was talking about ten-point 8 ball, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I think we were both on the same page and didn't know it.
Yep. 8-ball. One game.

Old
  (#14)
JolietJames
Boot Party Coordinator
JolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond repute

06-08-2019, 07:07 AM

Keep in mind that a player's robustness has a lot to do with how quickly they move up or down in their ratings. Having only played four or five hundred games in the system I moved up thirty points after BCA State this year. A player with four thousand games likely would have moved much less.

Science flies men to the moon. Religion flies men into buildings.

Old
  (#15)
JC
The Thread Stops Here
JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

06-08-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOzone View Post
I don't like LOs getting involved with "adjusting" Fargo ratings or starting a player where they "think" they should be unless said player is known state ranked / master player. Otherwise start them at 525 and have at it. The only problem I have seen with using FargoRate is that some leagues report to it and some (many) don't. Some players (I am one) benefit from this. Some do not. In the end, I think it is the best rating system I have seen and will work out once more leagues start reporting to it.
The problem with just starting someone at 525 is they will take many weeks of league play to correct even if they are 100 points or more lower in actuality.

If you use fargorate to handicap your league matches it is grossly unfair to the team these players are on for pretty much an entire season.

We have almost all of our league players established now and are able to look at a player's game and make a pretty good estimate where to start them compared to our established players. 525 is actually pretty sporty in the league scheme of things and the vast majority of our new players are much weaker than that. What we do has worked well.

My guess is the OP just isn't that familiar with what the various level of play actually looks like in fargo number terms to come close to assigning a starting rating. This will work out with time.

If player plays considerably better than his 545 rating the people who jumped him up are probably more experience with fargo to make that call than the OP.

My .02

JC

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: