Is Snooker Ever Called Billiards?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious - while watching the movie Tolkien, the owner of the home and the 12-foot snooker table, in England, refers to the boys playing on it as playing a game of billiards. I assume that was due to faulty research by the director / writers, or am I wrong?

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just curious - while watching the movie Tolkien, the owner of the home and the 12-foot snooker table, in England, refers to the boys playing on it as playing a game of billiards. I assume that was due to faulty research by the director / writers, or am I wrong?
"Billiards" was the original game on what we would call a snooker table. Snooker was not invented until the second half of the 1800s, and tables existed long before then. The usual form that was played in championships from about 1840 to 1940 is with three balls -- two cue balls and a red ball. There are several ways to score, including scratching and caroms. The English, being the perverse creatures that they are, insist on calling those "in-offs" and "cannons".

Old-timers will still call a 12-foot table a "billiards" table and may use the generic term "billiards" for any game played on it.

Tolkien likely played the 3-ball game.

If you're interested, search out "Walter Lindrum" and/or "English Billiards" on YouTube. English billiards is a great game and has a lot to teach those who are willing to learn.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Billiards" was the original game on what we would call a snooker table. Snooker was not invented until the second half of the 1800s, and tables existed long before then. The usual form that was played in championships from about 1840 to 1940 is with three balls -- two cue balls and a red ball. There are several ways to score, including scratching and caroms. The English, being the perverse creatures that they are, insist on calling those "in-offs" and "cannons".

Old-timers will still call a 12-foot table a "billiards" table and may use the generic term "billiards" for any game played on it.

Tolkien likely played the 3-ball game.

If you're interested, search out "Walter Lindrum" and/or "English Billiards" on YouTube. English billiards is a great game and has a lot to teach those who are willing to learn.
Bob, thanks for the prompt response. Appears the term was used correctly in the movie.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
https://youtu.be/mAkDn28dy7E

I apologize for posting a link to a
6 hour match, but it’s really only 3
For a particularly interesting portion, start here:

https://youtu.be/mAkDn28dy7E?t=3600

which is exactly an hour into the match. There is some scrappy play including a couple of "misses" in which no ball is contacted during maneuvering to get the first open shot. Then a player gets good position and works out a long run.

One unusual point to note is that between x80 and x99 points in a break (run) where x is any odd number, the player is required to have the cue ball cross the baulkline (other than by having ball in hand). The ref announces the warning and then says when the crossing is satisfied. This requirement prevents seriously repetitive play.

Clive Everton is doing the commentary. He has written a bunch of books about both (English) billiards and snooker.

Last edited:

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes of course !

As a young kid watching Pot Black on BBC I got hooked into Snooker , bought some Billiard theme books and that was me hook , line and sinker into 'The Wonderful World Of Billiards' .

Some of the world top Billiard players can be successful switch codes and achieve .

Hence one of my favourite players in the world of Billiards , Alex Pagulayan .

They call him Alex 'The Lion' Pagulayan .

I call him Alex 'The Lion Rampant' Pagulayan and if he ever comes to Scotland I'm booking a ticket !

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Bob !

Hopefully when the Billiard Halls re open here in Scotland UK and I've got the money for one chance at every game of US Billiards that will do me fine .

Just want to see what i could shoot at these games .

I'd love a chance to play Chinese 8 Ball etc but Russian Billiards is very much last on the wish list .

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob jewett you are correct however-
the profound wisdom comes down at
0:26:15 when everton says-

Billiards is a game
Where the art
Conceals art
Just a trace of side or
Control of strength
Makes such a difference
But it’s all pretty much
Invisible to the naked eye

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob jewett you are correct however-
the profound wisdom comes down at
0:26:15 when everton says-

Billiards is a game
Where the art
Conceals art
Just a trace of side or
Control of strength
Makes such a difference
But it’s all pretty much
Invisible to the naked eye
Like the times in the long break I pointed to when I was saying to myself, "Why didn't he keep his white closer? I never would have gone that far up the table." And then the next shot the balls are restored to perfect position enabled by having that better angle with the white.

Bob <-- who learned English billiards from Richard Holt and has been playing since 1966