Earl Strickland's farewell speech to Efren Reyes

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yes, sometimes Earl can be a good guy. That said, this speech was cordial and respectful, but lacked the kind of content that would have been more befitting the occasion.

I think that if most of his playing contemporaries were asked to comment on Reyes, they'd mention that:

a) he revolutionized the way the game was played
b) he was the founding father, catalyst and inspiration for the Filipino invasion, which was simply the greatest infusion of talent into competitive pool we've ever seen, and those who walked in his and Jose Parica's footsteps (mot notably, Bustamante, Pagulayan, Biado, Orcullo, DeLuna, Andam, Luat, Kiamco, Gabica, Lining, Gomez, Gallego, Andam, Chua, Raga, Aranas) set the pool world afire.
c) he was the greatest all-around player in this generation, perhaps the the best eight ball player ever AND the best one-pocket player the game has ever seen, as well as among the best few ever in several other pool games.
d) he was as fine a man as he was a player, rescuing his own village by rebuilding and paying for re-electrification after a natural disaster practically wiped it out.
e) no man ever smiled more at the table than Efren, evidencing that his love for the game was unparalleled.

Earl's words hardly erase the countless occasions on which he publicly failed to give Efren the kind of credit he deserved, even once calling him "no more than the best sticky conditions player" he'd seen in an interview he gave shortly after the race to 120 in 1999. That was Earl --- not inclined to give his opponents their due and always having an excuse when he didn't win.

... so it's nice to hear Earl speaking nicely of Efren, but even now, I'd say he comes far short of placing Efren's career and impact on pool in a proper perspective.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, sometimes Earl can be a good guy. That said, this speech was cordial and respectful, but lacked the kind of content that would have been more befitting the occasion.

I think that if most of his playing contemporaries were asked to comment on Reyes, they'd mention that:

b) he was the founding father, catalyst and inspiration for the Filipino invasion, which was simply the greatest infusion of talent into competitive pool we've ever seen, and those who walked in his and Jose Parica's footsteps (mot notably, Bustamante, Pagulayan, Biado, Orcullo, DeLuna, Andam, Luat, Kiamco, Gabica, Lining, Gomez, Gallego, Andam, Chua, Raga, Aranas) set the pool world afire.
c) he was the greatest all-around player in this generation, perhaps the the best eight ball player ever AND the best one-pocket player the game has ever seen, as well as among the best few ever in several other pool games.
d) he was as fine a man as he was a player, rescuing his own village by rebuilding and paying for re-electrification after a natural disaster practically wiped it out.
e) no man ever smiled more at the table than Efren, evidencing that his love for the game was unparalleled.

Earl's words hardly erase the countless occasions on which he publicly failed to give Efren the kind of credit he deserved, even once calling him "no more than the best sticky conditions player" he'd seen in an interview he gave shortly after the race to 120 in 1999. That was Earl --- not inclined to give his opponents their due and always having an excuse when he didn't win.

... so it's nice to hear Earl speaking nicely of Efren, but even now, I'd say he comes far short of placing Efren's career and impact on pool in a proper perspective.

it's admittedly earl's heart, not his eloquence, that attracted me to the clip
so it's good there are folks out there like you, stu, to fill in the blanks :)
especially the bit about efren helping out his village- I didn't know that
thanks for the 'hip, as well as your thoughtful tribute overall
"the best," as earl put it? it's a difficult concept to argue, I think..
but I'm biased- because efren is unquestionably my favorite player:thumbup:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member

You forgot that he got lucky!

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was cool. Earl spoke form the heart and you could tell he meant every word. To knock him because he left out trivial details is in almost as poor of taste as one of Earl's manic outbursts. Earl just can't get a roll.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
That was cool. Earl spoke form the heart and you could tell he meant every word. To knock him because he left out trivial details is in almost as poor of taste as one of Earl's manic outbursts. Earl just can't get a roll.

I agree rexus. Earl is certainly no orator but did the best he could to praise Efren. Give the man a break!

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Sorry, Earl’s a toolbag, and probably one of the handful of reasons there isn’t a reputable pro tour. I lost every shred of respect for the man after he beat Bustamante at the World 9b Championships. Francisco’s daughter had passed away days before the final. After Earl won, he jumped up on the table, and said “I’m the king of the world”. Then he got down, and walked over to say “good game”, and that was it.

I’d have figured that a guy who professes to love the game of pool so much, would at least extend a hand to his fellow competitor who had suffered such a massive loss. Nope. He chose to be a douche, per his usual.

I, for one, can hardly wait until he’s gone from pool. Great pool player, deplorable human being. The game needs more Alexs and Efrens. We will never need another Earl.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I liked that he said he learned from Efren. We all did. I respect Earl for giving his main career opponent credit.

This brings to mind a situation in the rivalry between Joe Frazier and Muhammed Ali. What was missing from that is Ali did not show respect for or praise Frazier's ability publicly like Earl did. That bothered Joe his whole life and left an empty chasm in what is considered the greatest boxing rivalry of all time.

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, Earl’s a toolbag, and probably one of the handful of reasons there isn’t a reputable pro tour. I lost every shred of respect for the man after he beat Bustamante at the World 9b Championships. Francisco’s daughter had passed away days before the final. After Earl won, he jumped up on the table, and said “I’m the king of the world”. Then he got down, and walked over to say “good game”, and that was it.

I’d have figured that a guy who professes to love the game of pool so much, would at least extend a hand to his fellow competitor who had suffered such a massive loss. Nope. He chose to be a douche, per his usual.

I, for one, can hardly wait until he’s gone from pool. Great pool player, deplorable human being. The game needs more Alexs and Efrens. We will never need another Earl.
Any tournament he's at ... He draws the most fans.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of judgements here in this thread. Over the years I personally have come to realize that being a great in a sport does not always translate to being a great human being- but I don't think the public has the right to expect one form of greatness to extend into another. Not to play phsycologist here; but people's behaviors are formed usually from parental influence (good or bad), and other outside factors in childhood.

I have had good personal encounters with some great famous sports figures such as Willie Mosconi and Yogi Berra. Also some poor personal encounters with names like Joe DiMaggio and other sports figures.
Their amazing performance on their chosen field of competition is all that we are entitled to judge , in my opinion. We are going to personally like some of these guys and some we won't like; but I do think for ANY of us to have expectations of how any of them should behave is often times a bit of a stretch in judgement.

Last edited:

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member

So, you have sunk to what you believe is Earl's level. Congrats. :eek:

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve seen Earl at his best and at his worst. At the end of the day he was a great player and was good for the game.

MooseKnuckle

Registered
If we're honest with ourselves, we know how difficult it is to find the right words to say when put on the spot.

Inside we have a well of emotions but have to parse them to just a few poignant thoughts.

We all know it when we see it and we know it when we hear it.

To discuss the end of a time is to contemplate our own.

Last edited:

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
So, you have sunk to what you believe is Earl's level. Congrats. :eek:

The old crowd loves Earl. He represents that 60+ crowd in pool, like Keith McCready, and some other "legends" that have unsavory character. He nearly got in several fist fights in matches - Darryl Peach at Mosconi, Tony Drago, Ralf Souquet. He belittled Kaci after getting beat by him, and he couldn't stop yipping off at Landon Shuffett while he was getting pummeled on the 10 foot. The list is miles long.

I am sorry I have offended your delicate senses. One can be honest, without being a jackass, The fact that you can even equate what I wrote, to Earl's antics....you're part of the problem.

But....don't worry about it. As of this morning, I decided that pool and I are breaking up. All cues are going up for sale, as well as my cue repair and cuemaking machinery. I'm out. Too many toolbags, too little time to put up with them.

Thanks for being the nail in the coffin, and helping me come to this final decision. All the best, guys.

Last edited:

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Y

To me these are the most endearing qualities.

We will all miss him greatly.......