Cue Tip Pad

Manoman2444

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What exactly is the purpose of the tip pad between the tip and the ferrule? I am sure it is for some kind of protection for the ferrule, but is it really neccessary? I recently received a OB Classic shaft that I ordered (a partial blank), and it has the tip pad. If I change the tip, do I really need to replace the pad also? This is the first shaft I have had with the pad.

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
OB shafts need the carbon fibre pad or the warranty is void. Is it having an effect on your game? If not, leave it on. It is there for a reason.

Manoman2444

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB shafts need the carbon fibre pad or the warranty is void. Is it having an effect on your game? If not, leave it on. It is there for a reason.

Thanks, but that still didn't answer my question. I wanted to know the reason for the pad.

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the pad on the ob shafts is a lot different than most of the pads you see. the ob pad is carbon fiber (very strong and hard), while on ivory ferrules and such those pads are fiber. the ob shafts need the carbon fiber pad because of the design of the shaft. the tip of the shaft is cored with balsa wood and thus must be capped with something to protect the shaft.

the fiber pads you see primarily on ivory ferrules serve a slightly different purpose. many people mistakenly think these pads serve as a "shock absorber" to protect a delicate ivory ferrule. while the pad does protect the ferrule, it is not really a shock absorber. what happens is when you keep playing with the tip it mushrooms and compresses down and to the sides producing a spreading force when you hit a ball. the tip is glued to the end grain of the ivory and it tends to spread the ferrule apart along this grain and crack it. the pad serves as a buffer so the ferrule doesn't get the spreading force of the tip.

tsp&b

Silver Member
Great stuff

the pad on the ob shafts is a lot different than most of the pads you see. the ob pad is carbon fiber (very strong and hard), while on ivory ferrules and such those pads are fiber. the ob shafts need the carbon fiber pad because of the design of the shaft. the tip of the shaft is cored with balsa wood and thus must be capped with something to protect the shaft.

the fiber pads you see primarily on ivory ferrules serve a slightly different purpose. many people mistakenly think these pads serve as a "shock absorber" to protect a delicate ivory ferrule. while the pad does protect the ferrule, it is not really a shock absorber. what happens is when you keep playing with the tip it mushrooms and compresses down and to the sides producing a spreading force when you hit a ball. the tip is glued to the end grain of the ivory and it tends to spread the ferrule apart along this grain and crack it. the pad serves as a buffer so the ferrule doesn't get the spreading force of the tip.

Good Post!! Excelent information and also 100% correct!!!! Thanks!!! :thumbup:

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member

You're one of the first posters I've seen who actually has it right when it comes to tip pads. I've tried to explain this to people in the past who just didn't seem to get it! Good post!