Legit?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I have never seen a Schon like that - not even from the time Bob Runde was running the shop. Might be real Schons but probably not Runde-era ones. Maybe emailing Schon is a better option?

SKUNKBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once owned a "Schon" hustler cue like that. Basically a hustler with a SS joint, black but cap with "Schon" logo on the but cap. Very similar to that one shown. That's all I know about it though...no idea when it was made. Sold it couple years ago for $300.

L8R...Ken

tank69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is a Schon...not a Runde era. Evan made these for a few years...not sure for how long, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't make them anymore.

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Current bid , 382 , transactions 357 , positive feedback 100%, number of bids 9.9 people think its legitimate , people that are hardcore cue people is small , not many have 382 to expend on pool cue.Out of those 9 people i'd say at least one has communicated with seller.

Rick on Pawn Stars paid 13,000 for a Shoeless Joe Jackson autograph in a book , and experts couldn't verify its authenticity. You just never know.:smile:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I'd like to add that this is an UGLY cue. If I were Evan I'd disown it. I mean I have made some UGLY cases 20 years ago and if they ever show up on this site I might say that they are not mine :)

Sorry Evan, love Schon cues but this one should never left the sketch book.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Schon Curly sneaky 1980s

In the listing, the seller says the guy (has to be Evan if it was refinished at Schon) hadn't seen one like it. Something seems fishy to me here. The Schon scribing looks to be semi-modern which means Evan scribed it and for him to say he never saw one like it before? My money goes with this being a Schon buttcap transplanted onto someone's sneaky. Also, the stainless steel joint looks like it has a black ringwork, but the picture is so blurry I can't tell.

He says he took it to the Schon shop to be refinished but the steel joint isn't polished as it would be after a refinish. Somethin's wrong here . . .

A friend of mine in Wisconsin bought a Schon around 1985, that was custom made from one piece of curly maple. Yes, curly maple shaft!
No collars, wood to wood.

He broke the shaft a couple years later and sold the butt to another friend of mine, who still has it. He was offered $1400 for the butt (or so he claims)!! I'll never understand why he didn't sell it, or have a new shaft made...

GoBilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once owned a "Schon" hustler cue like that. Basically a hustler with a SS joint, black but cap with "Schon" logo on the but cap. Very similar to that one shown. That's all I know about it though...no idea when it was made. Sold it couple years ago for $300.

L8R...Ken

+1 Mine was a 6 point with ebony but this looks right to me.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although some aspects of this cue may be suspect, Schon definitely did produce such cues.

AFAIK Schon only works on Schon cues, so if there is a Schon receipt to go with it for the refurb work, I would consider it sufficient.

JB seems to feel it isn't "pretty enough". Personally, I think it's a great cue from the looks of it.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Although some aspects of this cue may be suspect, Schon definitely did produce such cues.

AFAIK Schon only works on Schon cues, so if there is a Schon receipt to go with it for the refurb work, I would consider it sufficient.

JB seems to feel it isn't "pretty enough". Personally, I think it's a great cue from the looks of it.

:) Let's not mince words I think it's UGLY. I grew up starry-eyed in love with Schoen cues. The word means beautiful in German. I bought my first one from Danny Barouty and had it sent to Germany and caressed it like a lover for weeks. Almost every Schon cue I have seen flows wonderfully except this thing. Just to me it's not at all schoen.

But to each his own. As grampa used to say there is a butt for every seat or something like that.

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to add that this is an UGLY cue. If I were Evan I'd disown it. I mean I have made some UGLY cases 20 years ago and if they ever show up on this site I might say that they are not mine :)

Sorry Evan, love Schon cues but this one should never left the sketch book.

Haha, JB, I would be happy to buy a couple of cases that you consider to be "substandard" at discount prices. Your substandard opinions are what I would dream of obtaining whenever I bought a case. :)