McDermott i2 Shaft

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That`s not an original ferrule, I would be sceptical and ask why and who replaced the ferrule...

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
The real early ones have a long ferrule, my friend has one like that. If you want to confirm just call McDermott, customer service is second to none.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, the first year or two of production the I-1 and I-2 had approximately 1" long ferrules, while the I-3 had the approximately 1/2" long ferrule. (I know because I had all 3 side by side the first few weeks they came out in 2004 or so, and played with the I-3 for a few years.

In later years, they changed all of them to the short ferrules.

That said, the ferrule in the picture looks like it was replaced due to the very large glue line. Also as the ebay seller states in his questions section, the shaft is turned down to 11.75 mm, but is marked I-2 on the joint. Someone over the years had the shaft turned down.

Manoman2444

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, the first year or two of production the I-1 and I-2 had approximately 1" long ferrules, while the I-3 had the approximately 1/2" long ferrule. (I know because I had all 3 side by side the first few weeks they came out in 2004 or so, and played with the I-3 for a few years.

In later years, they changed all of them to the short ferrules.

That said, the ferrule in the picture looks like it was replaced due to the very large glue line. Also as the ebay seller states in his questions section, the shaft is turned down to 11.75 mm, but is marked I-2 on the joint. Someone over the years had the shaft turned down.

Some good info here, thanks.