another question for cte users only

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
since from my understanding cte does not use contact points for aiming
so when you are down on the shot and and your eyes shift to the object ball before you pull the trigger
what do your eyes focus on?
if my assumptions are wrong please explain so i can learn
thanks

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I borrow concepts from multiple sources but use CTE for the most part. After getting down, I think about the track that the CB must travel. I think I got that from Mark Wilson's book.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so when you are down on the shot and and your eyes shift to the object ball before you pull the trigger
thanks

Good question Larry.
I have asked this question many times.
I know that when I pivot to center ball on the cue ball, it's time to look at the object ball to shoot. Same here what do I look for on the object ball. Do I just look at the object ball as a whole or do I look at a specific point or area on the object ball.
CTE is interesting and I use it from time to time.
John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
I go from CCB to the top of the CB and extend the line until it contacts the OB. If I can't visualize a point of aim on the OB, I'll extend the line until it hits the cushion (fuzz ball) or relative diamond position. I've used the 'point on the wall' method, chalk smudge on table/cushion, or chalk position. (no cheating)

When I first started I concentrated on hitting CCB on the line I got after my pivot. I would only extend the line a few diamonds down table. Because of my random alignment (unsquare) my line would seem to hit the OB in the wrong place sometimes. On those shots my sneaky subconscious would kick in on the final stroke, my stroke would be jerky and off line, and I'd butcher the shot. I found by shorting my sight picture and not looking at the OB my success rate increased. After I got comfortable with the 15 perception I moved on to the 30.

It was only after I got my stroke and body position problems solved that I was comfortable looking at the OB for all types of visuals. I still use 'blind shots' as part of my practice routine. I consider my technique flawed if I can't hit a 2 diamond shot with 2 diamonds separation without peeking at the OB, using only the line after the pivot.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I go from CCB to the top of the CB and extend the line until it contacts the OB. If I can't visualize a point of aim on the OB, I'll extend the line until it hits the cushion (fuzz ball) or relative diamond position. I've used the 'point on the wall' method, chalk smudge on table/cushion, or chalk position. (no cheating)

When I first started I concentrated on hitting CCB on the line I got after my pivot. I would only extend the line a few diamonds down table. Because of my random alignment (unsquare) my line would seem to hit the OB in the wrong place sometimes. On those shots my sneaky subconscious would kick in on the final stroke, my stroke would be jerky and off line, and I'd butcher the shot. I found by shorting my sight picture and not looking at the OB my success rate increased. After I got comfortable with the 15 perception I moved on to the 30.

It was only after I got my stroke and body position problems solved that I was comfortable looking at the OB for all types of visuals. I still use 'blind shots' as part of my practice routine. I consider my technique flawed if I can't hit a 2 diamond shot with 2 diamonds separation without peeking at the OB, using only the line after the pivot.

Thanks for the input. Never thought of the things you mention.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
You're welcome, glad you got some answers. Just don't call "2 ticks off the fuzz ball in the side pocket" during league play. ;)

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks

I just focus on my aim point.

randyg

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It was of great help to me to get my chest and chin on the cue, all the problems dissapeared :)

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
It was of great help to me to get my chest and chin on the cue, all the problems dissapeared :)

I've been trying to do the same but it doesn't feel comfortable. The few times I've succeeded my chin adds too much friction. I've seen Ronnie O with a patch on his (long pot extreme draw burn?) I won't put powder on my chinney chin chin. :)

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
For me after the visuals and I'm down on the shot I try to forget about the visuals and focus on the aimpoint I would have arrived at instinctively and try to stroke the CB at center. For applying spin to whitey do the visuals and come down on the shot with the spin intended tip placement or a little BH English

Last edited:

Valiant Thor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question for CTE users only

Randy g do you mean edge of cue ball to ABC or edge of cue stick to ABC ? Thanks