Cues as investments given the state of the game???

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
I have a small collection of higher end cues. I try to buy cues that will hold their value. Given the declining number of players and interest in the game, do you think cues will continue to rise in value like they have for years? I'm thinking of buying more but have been hesitant. If the game is dieing a slow death, who will be around to buy your long term investments?

prewarhero

guess my avatar
Silver Member
Woof,
Buy cues is you wish to collect. You will experience a better Ror many other investments. The supply of high end cues increases daily (every time a cue maker makes another) and as you say the demand may decrease. The math is easy.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seeing clearly

You are seeing things clearly.Look at the sales threads ,most are for shafts and or production cues.The players today are not into custom cues, they see the pros playing with production cues so what would motivate them to want to spend 1000's on a custom cue.Today production shafts have taken the place of high end cues from 15 plus years ago.This is sad but it is reality.I got involved with collectible cues in 1995, and no sooner you would buy one there would be several people waiting to offer you more then what you paid for it. Today you almost have to get on your knees and plead for someone to buy a cue.Some out there may think I have not bought right but tose who know me I have only purchased the top cue makers.Will it get better in time, I do not think so because the buyers of yesterday are either through buying or have passed away.My advice is buy what YOU like and buy what you like to play with.I am sure there will be people who will have a different take on this, so let me add this has been my experience that dates back 18 years.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
I have a small collection of higher end cues. I try to buy cues that will hold their value. Given the declining number of players and interest in the game, do you think cues will continue to rise in value like they have for years? I'm thinking of buying more but have been hesitant. If the game is dieing a slow death, who will be around to buy your long term investments?

There's always a buyer for anything..... if the price is right.
Cues as an investment? I dunno' but them cues ain't gold.

sharkmate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Collectible cues...

I hear a lot of belly acheing about this but the fact is if you happen to own a really good collectible such as a Balabushka you have no problem in getting 5 figures for it. There are also strong markets for Southwest, Gina, Tad and many more. There are many many cue makers that popped up over the years but the old school cue makers still command a hefty price for their artistry,:grin:

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's always a buyer for anything..... if the price is right.
Cues as an investment? I dunno' but them cues ain't gold.

Good advice. Play and buy what you like. Personally, a (straight) "house" cue plays just as well as any hi-end stick. That's what I have always done and have faired well.

I would never buy an expensive cue to play with. As for collecting, hell yeah. What's wrong with collecting things, it's fun. People collect stamps, guns, and cars. Who says ya have to plan on selling them later—despite respective industry business cycles.

That still begs the question from yours truly...why are people worried about the state of pool in U.S. and all the "retirements?" Come on now...you know how many serious shooters there are playing these days? My gosh, tons. High participation sport it is. Don't fret....now, where's that house cue I was playing with....it was just right here.....:D

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I hear a lot of belly acheing about this but the fact is if you happen to own a really good collectible such as a Balabushka you have no problem in getting 5 figures for it. There are also strong markets for Southwest, Gina, Tad and many more. There are many many cue makers that popped up over the years but the old school cue makers still command a hefty price for their artistry,:grin:

So you get 5 figures for a Balabushka. That isn't worth shucks if you had to give 6 figures for it.
Put your money in gold, or silver. Cash and cues aren't worth the paper they're printed on, or the wood they're made from. :smile:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Collectible cues should retain their value if purchased within the last 2-3 years, especially the last 18 months or so. The market is as bad as it has ever been and there's clear opportunity for some bounce back. Pool just needs a draw.......a gimmick to get it kick started again.

Sooner or later a film about pool will get made again but it has to appeal to the 16-25 age group with its starring cast. Get those people interested and you have the pool industry rebounding like it did in the 60's with "The Hustler" and the 80's with "The Color of Money". I dunno who the actors should be but I guess it would have to appeal to the younger set.........anyway, IMO pool is at its all time low in cue values and there's no where but to go up for collectible cues purchased at the right price today......you will not lose money on a collectible cue purchase and there is room for appreciation.

I got my Scruggs & Mottey cues almost 3 years ago and for what I got them at, I could flip them right now in 48 hrs for a quick, small profit. But why do that.......I love both cues and the cues play incredible.......if I could get more cues like these, I'd own another 1/2 dozen or so. So look for the collectible that drives you wild, makes your heart thump a wee bit faster, and score it at the best price you can afford.....even if it's a stretch on the price.

You'll feel exuberant over owning such a great cue, be the envy of "everyone", get to play with a really fabulous cue if you choose to do that and can always flip it for a nice profit when the pool/billiard industry rebounds which it will eventually do, or pretty much sell the collectible cue anytime for what you paid & maybe make some bucks like I could right now with my cues. The industry has survived for centuries and just remember this.........pool has a nostalgia to it.....Americana if you will...........even old westerns have pool tables in the background somewhere..........it's not going to die a slow death and it's here to stay.

Mark my words........someone is going to produce a film about Cornbread Red or Willie Mosconi, or maybe the movie will be about the underbelly of pool..........gambling & hustlers..........but with the right actors like maybe from that Twilight crappo or some of the other Ga Ga stuff that teens & so many others stand in line waiting overnite so they can get 1st viewing.......a pool about film with actors of that genre.....like a Channing Tatum........that film will do for pool what the Hustler & The 'Color of Money did in the 60's & 80's......and collectible cue values will accordingly appreciate too.

Last edited:

lenoxmjs

Brazilian Rosewood Fan
Silver Member
IMO cues are a poor investment as investments go . That doesn't stop me from buying cues that I love . When looking to invest though I put my money elsewhere.

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cues are like stocks in my opinion... buy them at a wholesale price now and sell them later for a premium. You aren't going to short them quickly, but for a long term investment that you get to play with in the meantime, I think it is solid.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
like art, buy a cue because you like it. cues are NOT an investment. a good mutual fund is an investment. cues are neat and fun.

bobforest

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't see cues being a good investment, now or in the near future... you may get lucky, but I doubt it and the rate of return would be peanuts - plus, to protect your investment - you ain't gonna be playing with em - sacrilege.

buy a good playing smart-looking cue - play with it for a few years - sell for a relatively small hit down the line.. sounds ok to me.

Bob

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Collectible cues should retain their value if purchased within the last 2-3 years, especially the last 18 months or so...........anyway, IMO pool is at its all time low in cue values and there's no where but to go up for collectible cues purchased at the right price today......you will not lose money on a collectible cue purchase and there is room for appreciation. ........

Good morning! You know I was reading your post with interest. I was thinking of another great investment. This is a can't miss and sooner or later this will come back. As soon as they get the performance drugs out. Someone will come along and people will be breathless to purchase anything about it. I have this basement that is just full of can't miss things. I have a gazillion 80s and 90s baseball cards you can purchase. My son decided not to take them with him when he got married and left them to his younger brother and me. So if you want a good investment, send me a PM. ;)

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
Truth is "The state of the game" has nothing to do with the value of cues! How many swords do you see being used daily today? Same goes with antique firearms, cars, Tifany lamps, the list could go on and on.

Larry

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
There are only a few cuemakers whose work will appreciate. It is really hard, if not now impossible, for newer cuemakers to crack into that tight circle of investment cues.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue collectors are a very, very small subset of the pool player market. The state of the Proessional game or pool overall will have minimal impact on the investment cue market.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
IMO cues are a poor investment as investments go . That doesn't stop me from buying cues that I love . When looking to invest though I put my money elsewhere.

True that. I like investments that pay me to own them. I really enjoy those dividend and interest payments! Don't have to work very hard to get them either. I asked my three cues to write me a check a while ago, but no check ever comes...and I have been checking the mail daily. :wink:

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I don't know about being an investment but there are few games/sports where you can buy equipment, use it for years and the resell/trade at near or even more than you paid for it.