Breaking with an ivory ferrule - Is it a bad idea?

xidica

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I'm not an authoritative source as I've never broken with or damaged an ivory ferrule, I would guess as long as you don't have an excessively forceful break or bad technique and hit the ivory directly into the cue ball(i.e. miss the tip entirely), you'll be alright...Is there a reason you want to? The phenolic tips really rock IMHO.

Mystick Cue Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had an ivory ferrule on one of my cues for years and used to break with it all the time. ivory is quite stronger than most people think.

Tony

Pinocchio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NOT Good.

You can break with ivory but it is not an ideal material for a break ferrule. In the winter or a cold climate if you bring an ferrule cue in from the outside figure on breakage. The layered tips are saviors for ivory ferrules. Their are many factors that makes ivory split. I hate pads to me they completely change the hit. Combine the many factors that can make ivory split plus using them for a break cue=problem.

Just my Opinion

Pinocchio

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Sure, go ahead a break with it all you want...I've got bills to pay. Ivory is more for the "collector" type cue...and is not your best bet for everday playability. Too many other "unbreakable" options like Iv4, to risk busting an expensive ivory piece. The man made options, lool like ivory, are bulletproof, play better than ivory, and are elephant friendly. So...if you'd like...go ahead & break with the ivory...its just not smart...and be prepared to spend some when it goes...and trust me...it will break sooner than later.
KV

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
CoryC said:
Would breaking with an ivory ferrule damage the ferrule?
Synthetics have been around relatively shortly compared to ivory ferrules. The old timers will say that they used ivory for years with no problems, but then again, 9-ball only recently became the rage.

As for the physical properties, synthetics ferrules are generally regarded as being harder than ivory - and much cheaper. With that in mind, I'd be a little nervous using a $100+ ferrule to break with when you can use a $10 synthetic one.

As mentioned above, you should make sure to let the ivory get to room temperature before crushing any balls.

-td

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Your own risk?

I cracked one once when I was in my 20's, and I am 5'7", 140 lbs at the time. I think it was probably cold at the time.

No, I won't do it again, just like I would never break with a $2,000+ stick.
That's why they make break cues. They are geared for breaking and/or jumping.

As youi gain an appreciation for good equipment, you are more conscientious of taking better care of it.

MrLucky

Pool Fanatic!!
Silver Member
should not be a problem...

CoryC said:

I have a 40 year old custom cue and broke and played with it for years until I retired the cue about 10 years ago! :) with no problems whatsoever!

Hell when I was using it! a break cue just meant you had 2 different cues!!! :D I guess I'm getting old Dammit! LOL!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Five ton elephants use their ivory tusks to fight... so I think you can safely break with an ivory ferrule :)

I've broken with an ivory ferrule for years without a single crack or chip. The problem is that some cue mechanics don't properly finish off an ivory ferule when retipping -- the top needs to be perfectly smooth, or hairline cracks can develop -- but with a properly finished ferule you should have no problems.

Lou Figueroa

CoryC said:

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
Years ago I had a Tad with an Ivory ferrule and broke with it, eventually it broke in half. I went to Tad to have it replaced and the replacement ferrule broke within a week. I don't believe Tad is to blame for his installation or storage of the material, I just think it's a bad idea to break with Ivory.

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
lfigueroa said:
The problem is that some cue mechanics don't properly finish off an ivory ferule when retipping -- the top needs to be perfectly smooth, or hairline cracks can develop -- but with a properly finished ferule you should have no problems.

Lou Figueroa
This is one of the most untrue things I've ever read on AZB. I do this for a living...I've seen 100's of ivory ferrules installed by everyone from Black to Tad...and they all crack and break when mistreated. Breaking with an ivory ferrule is indeed mistreating it. In fact ivory does NOT even play as well as Iv4 or SaberT. Your cue ...your choice...you can listen to a professional who does this for a living...or to someone who can't even spell ferrule...who thinks its ok if the top is smooth.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I've had not one single pro or even top player ask for an ivory ferrule in the past several years. The only time I get asked to replace an ivory ferrule is when someone has a high end cue...like a Black...and has cracked the ivory by playing with it. Then you'd want to put ivory back on it to keep it original & worth more when sold.
I'm sure there are some who break with ivory and have no problem...but thats a limited few. I guarantee an ivory ferrule will not last one day on my break cue...or Larry Nevel...or anyone else who actually "hits" em' like a man when they they break.
I simply can not make this issue any more clear than that.
I will now return this thread to "ifigueroa" who can explain more about how he knows it ok because elephants fight. By the way ifigueroa...when the elephants do fight...there tusk are not 13mm & 1 inch long...and basically hollow.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I broke and played with a ivory ferrule for years without any problems. I tend to do everything with one cue, so if I have a ivory ferrule its going to be used to break with.

I did get a small chip in one ferrule a couple years ago. Cue's were made for a lot of years standard with ivory and I'm sure breakage has and will happen again, but I personally haven't ever had a problem.

Guess I hit them like a 6ft, 300lb fat woman instead of a 6ft 300lb fat man.

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
I've seen what happens to an ivory ferrule when you miscue on a 9-ball break. The ferrule shattered in half and it cost the guy $150 to fix it.

When I picked up my cue from Barry Szamboti, he wanted me to break racks of 9-ball with it. I gave him the "Dude, you have got to start wearing a face mask when you're working with cocobolo." look. But he insisted and I broke 3 racks of 9-ball very, very weakly. He laughed.

Why can't you use a house cue to break with?

Barbara

Dhakala

Banned
It depends on what kind of ivory you have, the unique characteristics of each ferrule, and how you break.

I think the Mohs scale of mineral hardness is referenced here, where it says elephant ivory runs 2.5 to 3.0 while hippo or narwhal ivory is 5.

"Fossilized" mammoth ivory, BTW, is pretty much the same as contemporary elephant ivory. Its original calcium phosphate has not been replaced by minerals, as bone is replaced in dinosaur fossils. So mammoth ivory is no harder than elephant ivory.

Each ivory ferrule will have unique fault lines, minor or major.

You're less likely to break any ferrule if you break with moderate force and no English.

Have you broken many ferrules of any materials in your career, Cory? If so, you may want to steer clear of ivory.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Varney Cues said:
:D :D :D You need to work on that sir.;)

more interested in working on the 300 lb part than the breaking part...

guess I'm just in touch with my feminine side

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
CoryC said:

Yep, especially if its cold. The cost of breaking a few ivorie's can easily pay for a break cue.

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
cubswin said:
more interested in working on the 300 lb part than the breaking part...

guess I'm just in touch with my feminine side

300lbs. is a good thing in a poolroom. When you go to collect the post from the top of the light...probably not much argument!;) :D

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
I break, play, & jump with the same cue. It has ivory ferrules and I've never had a problem.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
It's a bad idea. I just ordered an x-breaker because I just noticed I split my shaft by the ferrule. It's a rock hard maple 13.5mm shaft. With a hard tip, the ferrule and shaft wood wood by the ferrule gets a lot of pressure in the break. I split my last one too.

Chris