Hand threading

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who don't live thread. You'll like this. By hand is not as hard as you think. Split dies are awesome because they're adjustable. If you plan on making multiple inserts buy 2 split dies. Adjust one larger and the other normal size. Takes maybe 10 minutes which is nothing.

IMG_20190408_124817_resized.jpg
IMG_20190408_125027_resized.jpg
IMG_20190408_125202_resized.jpg
IMG_20190408_125305_resized.jpg
IMG_20190408_125429_resized.jpg

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I haven't tried the 1/2" but did try the 5/8x18 on wood and it didn't go as well as yours shows.... Guess I need more practice. Did you do this under power or by hand?
Dave

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't tried the 1/2" but did try the 5/8x18 on wood and it didn't go as well as yours shows.... Guess I need more practice. Did you do this under power or by hand?
Dave

Hi Dave
By hand not under power. Open the die up and do two or 3 times. Wood can rip depending on how hard it is.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You will get better results with phenolic or other hard materials. Threading dies are not sharpened for cutting wood, it does help coating the wood and tap in wax.
If I use dies, I use it in the same way as a tap if i tap metal or hard materials. I make sure I have enough thread for the die or tap to grab on to, then just keep the tailstock loose and let thectap or die drive itsef in.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you think that's fun, you'd really enjoy a geometric head. :thumbup:

I use them for making metal inserts in a turret lathe, though haven't tried on wood. As other's mentioned, unless re-sharpened yourself, standard die threads are not really configured for wood. Though a new one never used on metal will suffice. Geometric chasers, OTOH, can be re-ground for a geometry that will suit almost any specific material. Also adjustable through a wider range than an Acorn or split die.

smt

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did this one quick just to give the example on wood. Normal hand threading, 2 or 3 turns back one and blow it out. Repeat til finished. I've never used wax but I like and use T-9 lubricant. For what ever reason it works for me.

IMG_20190408_144534_resized.jpg

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Great work Mike.
I can't afford them dies .
I use dental pick.

Attachments

• DSC01204.JPG
    DSC01204.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 374

JC

Coos Cues
Lots of respect for those of you who can thread stringy wood with a tap and die.

I don't seem to possess the skill set required no matter what tools I try to use. God only knows how much money I spent on the "best" tap or die to do the job before I realized live threading was the only viable thing for me to use.

JC

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I once met a man who turned metal and threads on a wood lathe and swore a metal lathe user could not turn metal as precise as as he and his friends could. Now I know how he was probably cutting threads. Thanks for sharing.

It is amazing what people with skills can do, as we see here in Mike's thread on threads :)thumbup:). For those who think otherwise it is worthwhile to point out that the ways on some of the best machinery are hand scraped, and that watchmakers lathes most often have no carriage or cross slide, just a tool rest like a wood lathe.

Dave