Shaft warped, what went wrong?

Bluejuice

Registered
I've had this Jacoby ultra pro shaft for about a year or so, and when I suspected something was wrong, I had a repair guy look at it and not only was it warped right around where the taper ends, the facings weren't flat and the brass insert was misaligned. His advice was that this shaft had too many problems to be worth fixing.

It's not an issue playability-wise, and I wouldn't be surprised if the problems get worse over time, and if it ever gets worse enough, I'll probably get a new one.

That shaft flexes and vibrates quite significantly when I let my stroke out on tough shots. I've heard people review this shaft saying it's stiff, but it seems pretty flexible to me. Does the vibrations on powerful shots affect the integrity of the shaft in anyway?

What I'd like to know is, what went wrong (or what did I do wrong) ?

I clean the shaft every month by lightly sanding it with 2500 grit sand paper, a microfiber towel and isopropyl alcohol. After which I apply carnauba wax and burnish with a piece of leather.

I live in a tropical climate and I did have the shaft shipped over from the states, which I've heard is quite a common reason for warpage, but aren't laminated shafts supposed to counter that to a certain degree? Could the wood moving from humidity changes have misaligned the insert as well?

I'd hate for this to happen again, but if that's just the way it is with shipping wooden shafts overseas, then I guess I'll just find something else. Sure, it still plays great and when I play badly, it's definitely not the shafts flaws at fault but my own, but of course I'd still rather have a shaft with no structural problems, and I'd like to know if there's any way to prevent things like this in the future.

Once again, I appreciate any help or advice I can get from this great community :)

Last edited:

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The facings and the insert mis-alignment were not issues of humidity. Contact maker and perhaps you can get some off on a new shaft.

Terry Aeschliman

Terry Aeschliman
Gold Member
Silver Member
Warped shaft

This is definately an issue to take up with Jacoby first before posting to this forum. I am a Jacoby dealer and I guarantee the Jacoby factory will bend over backwards to help you. The same cannot be said for forum members. If you need contact information, feel free to text me.
Terry Aeschliman Galveston Indiana 765 434 5131

By the way, were you recently banned?

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wood that has been laminated is still wood. If you do it right, you try to balance out the spread of the wood as it gains moisture so it doesn't move more in one direction than another. But it's not gonna stop absorbing moisture just because it's been laminated. You could laminate wood in a fashion to make it worse. Wood grows most tangentially (spreads across the grain). You can still get uneven spread if the grain isn't straight or there is runout or you use reaction wood.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is definately an issue to take up with Jacoby first before posting to this forum. I am a Jacoby dealer and I guarantee the Jacoby factory will bend over backwards to help you. The same cannot be said for forum members. If you need contact information, feel free to text me.

By the way, were you recently banned?

You can tout the wares you sell all you want but no need to throw dirt on the forum members because some are the best in the field. My two cents for today. :)

Mario

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Anytime I hear this.............I have to first ask. Do you leave your cue in your car, or car trunk? Do you leave your cue at home, resting on an Outside interior wall?

Terry Aeschliman

Terry Aeschliman
Gold Member
Silver Member
apologize

I would like to apologize to all cuemakers on this forum for my previous post. My words and wording were not in the spirit of AZ Billiards.