Daulton Leong Road Respect

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A. No stiff, house man holding the $$$ was gone, and Daulton also was GONE. When I completed my run out, I looked up, and both were MIA, never saw them leave. I was young 22 and didn't know people did this. Thought the house man was honest.

B. 8 yrs later, he was in New Orleans, on the road, he walked into the Sportsmans with his backer and I got back dbl from the SF incident...

Ah, I get it now. Good story, thanks.

Any more stories about Daulton Leong ?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
What a horrible thing to say. You obviously don't know much about him at all. You only think you do.

Thank you Fran. Dalton spent a lot of time around L.A. and his rep was as a guy who would get up there and play. He wasn't afraid to play anyone and bet high is what I remember. I never heard anyone say anything bad about him. I admit I didn't know him well, but well enough not to want to gamble with him. He was never rude to me in any way or tried to hustle me. Maybe he didn't think he could beat me at One Pocket or Banks (I wish). :rolleyes:

He played Billy Kenyon to a standstill at 9-Ball in The Billiard Den and Billy was a helluva player who I saw beat Cecil Tugwell in his prime.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Roger that. The confusion only comes from not knowing Daulton. The name didnt (but maybe should’ve...Leong) make me think of an Asian, I could only picture Shannon Daulton lol... so I didn’t realize he was the guy.

If you would of read the 1st post....1970 was the year. Shannon was an infant during that time. And Dalton and Shannon are two different first names.

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was this guy Daulton there when the Asian and his backer rolled out on you?

I love digressions, especially pool story digressions since they have a familiar feel of the life of chaos, but they sometimes make stories difficult to understand : )

Yeah-Glad it wasnt just me. I didnt get it-First time he was mentioned was at the end and im WTF?

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
If you would of read the 1st post....1970 was the year. Shannon was an infant during that time. And Dalton and Shannon are two different first names.

I didn’t think it was Shannon Daulton, but the name Daulton put “good ol boy” in my head.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wellllllllll....? What did he do around there, Bob?
Double dump. Got some the regulars at one of the places I played. In the same vein as what he did to Bill their first meeting. With the double dump the favored player wins, and the people who bet on the other guy because the dump was on got what they deserved in some twisted sort of morality.

In 1990, he made the New York Times, sort of:

https://www.nytimes.com/1990/01/20/nyregion/a-blood-spattered-car-is-seized-at-a-carwash.html

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
pool room morality

Double dump. Got some the regulars at one of the places I played. In the same vein as what he did to Bill their first meeting. With the double dump the favored player wins, and the people who bet on the other guy because the dump was on got what they deserved in some twisted sort of morality.

https://www.nytimes.com/1990/01/20/nyregion/a-blood-spattered-car-is-seized-at-a-carwash.html

Somehow we divide things into pool room morality and the rest of the world morality. Kinda embarrassing to remember some of the people I gambled with and socialized with at least to a small degree. I knew they were trash and worse out on the street, I only judged them on how they behaved in a pool room. If they weren't terribly obnoxious and paid when they lost they were acceptable if not good people, in the night action. Wouldn't like to admit I knew many of them in the daylight hours when I was out and about living the straight life.

Met one of my old girl friends when we were both going to the vo-tech some years after we had been together. She looked at me, "Who would believe we had died and went to hell and are living in suburbia."

Hu

Island Drive

Silver Member
What a horrible thing to say. You obviously don't know much about him at all. You only think you do.

Settle down, it's obvious you both, have/do/did experience Quite different experiences with the same man. Many in life do wrong and then become good people.

Would of been Wonderful to hear why you felt so much good for this man. Instead you chose not too and took another way to go about your business.

To Slam another without understanding their reasoning behind what they say, shows me more about the one who's attacking w/o asking first, what they had done to them to form their opinion.

In a court of law, there are ALWAYS two sides.

It's soooooooooooo easy nowadazzzzzzzze to attack another w/o just cause. Hate is rampant.

I forgive you Fran for attacking w/o asking first why the other person came to this conclusion.

Daulton Leong may have gone thru a bad time in his early yrs on the W. coast, but to not ask why, or what he did First is confusing.

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I new Daulton well. I traveled with him and Hawaiian Brian around LA in middle 70's. He was tough about the money. You had to know where you were at at all times when he was in action. I'm not talking about dumping, I'm talking about him firing up your cash in bad games. Daulton could never beat our own Billy (Island Drive) on his best day. At best Daulton was a good shortstop. The poolroom in San Fran Billy was referring to was Country Club Billiards on Van Ness which was Daultons home room. Lastly, my comments are not to besmirch Daulton but only to add context to the flaws he and ALL of us have. Some of those flaws he had contributed to his demise in NY many years later. He got mixed up with a tough crowd who were not pool players and he paid the ultimate price.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
dumping is wrong. but doubling people out is the worst as you have an active part in developing the crime. and yes it is a crime.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Is there a good reason you chose to call me a thief?

I don't know you. I hope you don't think of us all in that way.

There are many good men out there that play this game.

Personally, I just thought you made a mistake and chose the wrong way to express what you meant.

I too have that same problem.

Yep, I could have chosen a better old phrase to use...or should have altered it?
But I posted it..now I have to own it.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Yep, I could have chosen a better old phrase to use...or should have altered it?

I just did that moments ago FB, was so excited to tell a Great friends daughter my youngest, now 35 is pregnant. She threw me under the bus, I thought I'd sent her a PM but NOT. Miscue, but then she laid into me.........and I thought I'd end that in an amicable way. Unfriend, and I still love her and her parents and all of em.
I got into it a yr or so ago with my cousin, and educator in middle school.

We just agreed to not talk about politics ever again, alls well.

Thx.....still learnin' :)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just did that moments ago FB, was so excited to tell a Great friends daughter my youngest, now 35 is pregnant. She threw me under the bus, I thought I'd sent her a PM but NOT. Miscue, but then she laid into me.........and I thought I'd end that in an amicable way. Unfriend, and I still love her and her parents and all of em.
I got into it a yr or so ago with my cousin, and educator in middle school.

We just agreed to not talk about politics ever again, alls well.

Thx.....still learnin' :)

Nice post there, bill. I like your perspective.

Don't like the celebration of the dump, but this one is gold.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
it was a perfect fit

The saying was a perfect fit, but only if the person reading recognized that it was an old saying. The payback, the nods and smiles forever more, fits perfect. Of course if somebody has never heard of the saying and takes what you wrote literally, ... :grin:

Serves you right for being erudite!

Hu

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It is worth noting that the NYTimes, which is prone to double check these things, spells his name: Dalton.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I new Daulton well. I traveled with him and Hawaiian Brian around LA in middle 70's. He was tough about the money. You had to know where you were at at all times when he was in action. I'm not talking about dumping, I'm talking about him firing up your cash in bad games. Daulton could never beat our own Billy (Island Drive) on his best day. At best Daulton was a good shortstop. The poolroom in San Fran Billy was referring to was Country Club Billiards on Van Ness which was Daultons home room. Lastly, my comments are not to besmirch Daulton but only to add context to the flaws he and ALL of us have. Some of those flaws he had contributed to his demise in NY many years later. He got mixed up with a tough crowd who were not pool players and he paid the ultimate price.

I cannot recall a room called Country Club Billiards in SF in the mid-70’s.

I do remember Van’s Billiards, a two story affair, on Van Ness, and Town and Country Billiards in Daly City. It was at the latter that I met Dalton, who was traveling through the area with Hawaiian Brian. A bunch of us went to breakfast early one morning after the pool room closed down. He seemed like a nice enough guy.

Lou Figueroa