Revo more deflection????

FuManchu

Not a Pro Player
Silver Member
Two weekends ago i had an interesting discussion with a top pro that i wont name as he may or may not be sponsored by predator. Just keeping him anonymous. He told me that he believes the revo is actually higher deflection. His argument was that when people start using the revo they are missing balls fat which actually means more deflection. He said that the deflection just takes longer in the shot line vs a standard shaft meaning a standard shaft deflects almost immediately where the revo will roll a ball further before it deflects. just curious what everyones thoughts on this are.

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two weekends ago i had an interesting discussion with a top pro that i wont name as he may or may not be sponsored by predator. Just keeping him anonymous. He told me that he believes the revo is actually higher deflection. His argument was that when people start using the revo they are missing balls fat which actually means more deflection. He said that the deflection just takes longer in the shot line vs a standard shaft meaning a standard shaft deflects almost immediately where the revo will roll a ball further before it deflects. just curious what everyones thoughts on this are.

Would love to know the physics behind "the Revo will roll a ball further before it deflects."

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Deflection starts right away. Then the ball swerves back. And hitting the balls fat, when using inside spin, shows the shaft deflects LESS. If they use outside and therefore hits them fat, then that would show that the shaft deflects more than whatever they used before.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
revo deflection

He told me that he believes the revo is actually higher deflection.

'More' or 'less' are comparison terms. Revo deflects more than some shafts, less than others. It depends on what we are comparing it with.

His argument was that when people start using the revo they are missing balls fat which actually means more deflection.

Missing balls fat due could indicate more deflection than they are used to if they are using outside spin. With inside spin it would be the opposite. Assuming he meant outside spin was resulting in fat hits, then yes, this is likely the reason.

He said that the deflection just takes longer in the shot line vs a standard shaft meaning a standard shaft deflects almost immediately where the revo will roll a ball further before it deflects.
As mentioned above, deflection changes the cue ball trajectory immediately off the tip. Curve takes place as the cue ball travels. Throw then occurs at the moment of object ball contact.

I use the Revo and my experience is this: It DOES deflect more than my prior 314-2 which had a very thin taper and very low deflection. It also seems to hit a bit harder which makes it easier for me to shoot firm and accurately on long shots. When using sidespin this can mean the hook of the curve doesn't take as soon and can make it seem to curve less which generates the same result as more deflection (i.e. it deflects off the tip and then slides all the way to the object ball without having time to curve back the other way much). I could be wrong on some of the nuanced physics, just my feeling as a player.

In the end I didn't buy the Revo for lower deflection or as a magic bullet. I just was tired of nicks in my cue, shafts wearing down over the years forcing me to switch shafts every so often and adjust again and again, and inconsistencies based on wear that changed my hit depending on which part of my cue was facing up. I really just wanted something I could buy, get used to, and play with for 10-20 years without giving a thought to maintenance or evolution. That is what I got and that is all I wanted. Totally satisfied Revo customer here. As for the playing better, I'll do that with hard work thank you very much.

FuManchu

Not a Pro Player
Silver Member
Tinman, great post! Thank you! I used a revo for a while and really liked it. I recently switched to kielwood for personal reasons but will likely end up with another revo soon. Thank you for the reply! I always look forward to knowledgeable input from great players!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The obvious question is more deflection as compared to what other shaft? Yes, obviously if you’re comparing a Revo to a Predator Z3 shaft or Mezz WX 900 shaft, clearly the Revo will deflect more.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sounds like the opposite of less deflection. Let's say you are cutting a ball to the right with right spin. The deflection would move the cueball left. The less deflection the closer to the right it would go. So if you compensate shooting left you get a sharper cut, if the shaft deflects less than you expect you hit the ball fuller.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like the opposite of less deflection. Let's say you are cutting a ball to the right with right spin. The deflection would move the cueball left. The less deflection the closer to the right it would go. So if you compensate shooting left you get a sharper cut, if the shaft deflects less than you expect you hit the ball fuller.
Cutting a ball to the right using right spin is inside spin. My guess is the OP was referring to using outside spin, which is the far more prevalent spin used for most cut shots by most players. So in your example if you are cutting a ball to the right, using left spin if you are hitting it fat / not cutting it enough, that likely is under compensating for deflection. If you are over cutting it, that means you are overcompensating for deflection.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I'll check on this but I'd have a hard time believing the squirt is more with the
Revo. I played for a long time with a Defy recently which is not near the shaft as the
Revo's Ive seen and my main problem with Outside was less squirt than
my Jacoby Hybrids. Inside Spin I played them just fine as I tend to under allow.
Outside Spin it took me awhile to learn to hold closer to the mark..

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
'More' or 'less' are comparison terms. Revo deflects more than some shafts, less than others. It depends on what we are comparing it with.

Missing balls fat due could indicate more deflection than they are used to if they are using outside spin. With inside spin it would be the opposite. Assuming he meant outside spin was resulting in fat hits, then yes, this is likely the reason.

As mentioned above, deflection changes the cue ball trajectory immediately off the tip. Curve takes place as the cue ball travels. Throw then occurs at the moment of object ball contact.

I use the Revo and my experience is this: It DOES deflect more than my prior 314-2 which had a very thin taper and very low deflection. It also seems to hit a bit harder which makes it easier for me to shoot firm and accurately on long shots. When using sidespin this can mean the hook of the curve doesn't take as soon and can make it seem to curve less which generates the same result as more deflection (i.e. it deflects off the tip and then slides all the way to the object ball without having time to curve back the other way much). I could be wrong on some of the nuanced physics, just my feeling as a player.

In the end I didn't buy the Revo for lower deflection or as a magic bullet. I just was tired of nicks in my cue, shafts wearing down over the years forcing me to switch shafts every so often and adjust again and again, and inconsistencies based on wear that changed my hit depending on which part of my cue was facing up. I really just wanted something I could buy, get used to, and play with for 10-20 years without giving a thought to maintenance or evolution. That is what I got and that is all I wanted. Totally satisfied Revo customer here. As for the playing better, I'll do that with hard work thank you very much.

That’s interesting, my 314-3 definitely squirts more than my Revo. Both radial pin. My original Z shaft 5/16-14 squirts far more than either of the other two

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I played with a Revo for over 6 months. The Revo has more deflection than some shafts and less than others. My 314-3 has WAY less deflection; but it’s smaller diameter and lighter than normal. Z3, OB2...these have well less deflection than the Revo.

The explanation of the deflection happening later is a good example of why they don’t give physics degrees for playing pro pool. Total nonsense. Deflection happens immediately after impact, regardless of the shaft.

Hope it helps,

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
He said that the deflection just takes longer in the shot line vs a standard shaft meaning a standard shaft deflects almost immediately where the revo will roll a ball further before it deflects.

Perhaps he meant swerve when playing inside english because that's a situation where the bolded text makes sense? Meaning that's predominantly how his ball behaves when he plays with sidespin due to his stroke mechanics?

It's really tough to talk about deflection-related stuff when we all don't have a robot as well as protocols on measuring deflection...

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Delayed deflection sounds impossible to me.

I don't think I understand pool very good,and I didn't like the revo
or any of the high tech stuff,but until I see Dr Dave demonstate this delayed delection on the videos I am going to doubt it is even theoretically possible

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

I don't think I understand pool very good,band I didn't like the revo
or any of the high tech stuff,but until I see Dr Dave demonstate this delayed delection on the videos I am going to doubt it is even theoretically possible

Yeah what Deano says!

Well the trick to beating it is to make the ball get there right.

You see if its a 3 diamond distance between the balls then you shoot a 4 diamond distance shot cause you know the cue ball
leaves the tip and goes straight down 4 diamonds before it goes crazy! lol

Delayed Deflection is Hell man!

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member

It also seems to hit a bit harder which makes it easier for me to shoot firm and accurately on long shots. When using sidespin this can mean the hook of the curve doesn't take as soon and can make it seem to curve less which generates the same result as more deflection (i.e. it deflects off the tip and then slides all the way to the object ball without having time to curve back the other way much). I could be wrong on some of the nuanced physics,

You're not wrong about any of the physics.

You may be overestimating how much harder the Revo actually hits the ball; I haven't seen any actual measurements of this but between any two shafts the difference is usually only a few percent. The rest of the perceived difference can come from the sound and feel of the hit, which don't directly affect the CB but a hard sounding and/or feeling hit can make you think it's hitting the CB harder.

Pro players believe some wacky things about the physics of the game sometimes, and this goes to show how little you actually need to understand the physics to play your best. Certain concepts must be understood, but the bulk of the physics nuances can be intuited, ignored, or even totally misunderstood without affecting the choices you make at the table.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't think I understand pool very good,band I didn't like the revo
It is impossible. Squirt/deflection begins on contact. Swerve takes effect later.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Low deflection shafts actually DEFLECT More than a standard shaft. They put less deflection or ( squirt ) on the cue ball by deflecting out of the way faster than a standard shaft... Naming them High deflection shafts just doesn't sound right so they call them low deflection...