Daulton Leong Road Respect

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Gonna share a story about him 1970 in San Francisco. Before the Bart and during the Searcy days at the Palace? or Crystal Palace on Market Street, not Cohcrans.

I was working at Henry Africas on Van Ness tending bar. Ronnie Barber used to hang around the Bus Stop bar then, near Laguna, 8' Valley bar box with the Big Heavy Cue ball. back to the story.

Up on top of Van Ness, there was a pool room on the S. side of the street. I tried to hustle Searcy at the palace but that didn't go well. Interesting pool room the Palace, on the second floor, all the walls were glass tile squares. You could be Anywhere in that room and do a speed check on any player matched up.

I'm in this room on Van Ness, this Asian asked me to play some 9 ball. I told no but I'd play em some 14.1. The house man held the money and we played. It was kinda close, then I ran 46 and & out. I looked up, the stake horse was gone, and so was my opponent.

FF to 1978 ish, at the Sportsmans bar/pool room in New Orleans. I run into Mary K. and NY Blackie on the road together/odd couple it seemed to me in my youth. My 9 ball game was improved.

I stayed away from Blackie, but in walks Daulton Leon and a backer.

I asked em to play some $50 a rack roll out 9 ball 8' Gold Crown, allot of money in those days.

During our game, he gave me that look/nod....that showed he had respect for me and our past incident, and laid off just a little. In doing so, I doubled the money that was taken from me in SF in 1970....we were the only two that knew my 9 ball win at the Sportsmans was guaranteed.

We crossed paths a few times at events, never talked we just smiled at each other and nodded.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Dalton was living around here (NYC) towards the end of his life, when he was murdered. I believe he was also into acting, at the time.

Soemone should tag Fran Crimi, for more on Dalton.

Eric >I suppose, I just did...

Last edited:

Island Drive

Silver Member
Kind of an honor among thieves thing? LOL! Fun story...

Is there a good reason you chose to call me a thief?

I don't know you. I hope you don't think of us all in that way.

There are many good men out there that play this game.

Personally, I just thought you made a mistake and chose the wrong way to express what you meant.

I too have that same problem.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Was this guy Daulton there when the Asian and his backer rolled out on you?

I love digressions, especially pool story digressions since they have a familiar feel of the life of chaos, but they sometimes make stories difficult to understand : )

Island Drive

Silver Member

I love digressions, especially pool story digressions since they have a familiar feel of the life of chaos, but they sometimes make stories difficult to understand : )

No, that man in SF was the pool room mgr at that time....His road partner I'd not seen before in 78.

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Daulton was the Asian guy.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m so confused.
OK, hang on, take it easy. Deep breaths. In. Out. Out. In.

Now, did you ride to work or bring your lunch?

Dalton may well have let Bill win because Dalton's friend had a few thousand bet on Bill on the side.

Reminds me of the story of Bucktooth playing Ronnie Allen (they were cousins) a strange one pocket game up at one of the Tahoe tournaments. Bucktooth only went to 1 ball to win but Ronnie only went to two. It wasn't reported which one ended up ahead but the side bettors lost $30,000. Maybe the entertainment was worth it.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So am I. It sounded like the OP get stiffed in the 14.1 game, but the money was posted with the house man ??? Why did Dalton Leong dump the 9 ball game to the OP ??

:scratchhead::shrug:

Coz dumping a stakehorse is the honorable thing to do?:rolleyes:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Coz dumping a stakehorse is the honorable thing to do?:rolleyes:
Stakehorses have too much money. It's the nature of the beast. The process is like when doctors used leeches to remove "bad humours" in the blood. From History.com:

By the late 1800s new treatments and technologies had largely edged out bloodletting, and studies by prominent physicians began to discredit the practice. Today it remains a conventional therapy for a very small number of conditions. The use of leeches, meanwhile, has experienced a renaissance in recent decades, particularly in the field of backing pool players.

Leeches:
CropperCapture[471].jpg

Actually, that guy looks like he could be a stakehorse.:thumbup:

Last edited:

Island Drive

Silver Member
So am I. It sounded like the OP get stiffed in the 14.1 game, but the money was posted with the house man ??? Why did Dalton Leong dump the 9 ball game to the OP ??

:scratchhead::shrug:

A. No stiff, house man holding the $$$ was gone, and Daulton also was GONE. When I completed my run out, I looked up, and both were MIA, never saw them leave. I was young 22 and didn't know people did this. Thought the house man was honest.

B. 8 yrs later, he was in New Orleans, on the road, he walked into the Sportsmans with his backer and I got back dbl from the SF incident.

Sorry I wasn't clear in my OP....just wanted to tell a story, and NOT get into a this and that discussion.

C. END

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
A. No stiff, house man holding the $$$ was gone, and Daulton also was GONE. When I completed my run out, I looked up, and both were MIA, never saw them leave. I was young 22 and didn't know people did this. Thought the house man was honest.

B. 8 yrs later, he was in New Orleans, on the road, he walked into the Sportsmans with his backer and I got back dbl from the SF incident.

Sorry I wasn't clear in my OP....just wanted to tell a story, and NOT get into a this and that discussion.

C. END

Roger that. The confusion only comes from not knowing Daulton. The name didnt (but maybe should’ve...Leong) make me think of an Asian, I could only picture Shannon Daulton lol... so I didn’t realize he was the guy.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Fran and Bob

What a horrible thing to say. You obviously don't know much about him at all. You only think you do.

I was talking to somebody a few weeks back and got to thinking about our relationships with other people. We might know somebody from a pool hall for years yet if we added up the hours we have talked to them it might be less than a dozen. Same thing with our relationships outside the pool room, our opinion of a person is often based on a few hours interaction with someone even if we have known them for years.

I have had people with horrible reputations, horrible actions in their past, treat me great when they could just have easily done me terrible wrongs. I have had more "good Christians" wrong me than all of the "lowlifes" in bars and poolrooms combined, and that is considering only the genuine far less than honorable people, not the good people in bars and pool rooms. Overall, I have had far better dealings with the denizens of the night than the self proclaimed Christians. Some were both of course.

My conclusion was that we can all have far different dealings with a person and have far different opinions of them and none of us be wrong from our own personal perspective. I still maintain my own opinions of people that have done me well and have done me wrong. However, I realize that other people can have vastly different opinions of a person than I do and their opinion be equally valid.

Hu