Math Problem

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I'd love to hear Hal's answer to this one. :smile: Something tells me neither CTE nor Poolology is going to help this time:

http://www.thehindu.com/children/the-billiard-ball-problem/article20314985.ece

Hal probably would have suggested getting some carpenter to make a table for you with one of those whacky dimensions and then get back with him when it was done.

Once you had it, he would have laughed loud and heartily as he always did and said,
"what a waste of money."

I think you should remove the link and just post the dimensions and scenarios without answers to allow the math addicts to try to figure it out on their own without cheating for the answers. It'll give them something to do.

Offer a prize to the winner. Maybe a fresh new cube of chalk?

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hal probably would have suggested getting some carpenter to make a table for you with one of those whacky dimensions and then get back with him when it was done.
Once you had it, he would have laughed loud and heartily as he always did and said,
"what a waste of money."
I think you should remove the link and just post the dimensions and scenarios without answers to allow the math addicts to try to figure it out on their own without cheating for the answers. It'll give them something to do.
Offer a prize to the winner. Maybe a fresh new cube of chalk?
Hello Mister Spider.
I'm trying to figure out what this goofy post you're responding to has to do with aiming in the game of pool shooting. Beats me..??
If I had to go through all that crud, I'd find something else as a pastime.
By the way, I have an idea for a better prize to a "winner", better than the fresh new cube of chalk.......picture is attached. :thumbup:
Calculator cartoon.jpg

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's too unrealistic to consider. But I'm sure any CTE perception and sweep/pivot, or any fractional hit, would send the ball into one of those pockets, you'd just never know which one, and you'd have to hit it a 100mph.:frown:

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's too unrealistic to consider. But I'm sure any CTE perception and sweep/pivot, or any fractional hit, would send the ball into one of those pockets, you'd just never know which one, and you'd have to hit it a 100mph.:frown:

CTE is for a 2x1 table specifically. But you already know that and decided to take a pot shot anyways.

Happy Memorial Day

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member

Au contraire mon ami. CTE would work just as well to pot balls on any of the tables. So would CP2CP, fractions, DD, shish-kabob, edge of shaft, and etc.. Simple angles into pockets wouldn't be an issue using any of the systems. Two or more cushion banks that go from a small cushion to a long cushion (or vice versa) would stop working. The diamond system relies on a 1 X 2 rectangle but cutting balls on a 'funny' shaped table is going to be the same process. Your system is one of the few I can think of that wouldn't predict the pocket. Maybe hitting them at 100 mph would work then though.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
CTE is for a 2x1 table specifically. But you already know that and decided to take a pot shot anyways.

Happy Memorial Day

What pot shot?? I also mentioned fractional aim, was simply saying if you hit a ball hard enough it'll probably find a pocket.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Au contraire mon ami. CTE would work just as well to pot balls on any of the tables. So would CP2CP, fractions, DD, shish-kabob, edge of shaft, and etc.. Simple angles into pockets wouldn't be an issue using any of the systems. Two or more cushion banks that go from a small cushion to a long cushion (or vice versa) would stop working. The diamond system relies on a 1 X 2 rectangle but cutting balls on a 'funny' shaped table is going to be the same process. Your system is one of the few I can think of that wouldn't predict the pocket. Maybe hitting them at 100 mph would work then though.

Like I said.....unrealistic scenario for any aiming system. And you are correct that Poolology would not predict an unrealistic multiple rail bank shot. Lol, naturally.

Going multiple rails induces too many frictional spin changes on the ball. No need for cte users to get offended here. Nothing negative being said, except that the proposed math problem could really only be worked using lasers and mirror rails, not balls on a pool table. So you and cookie can chill out and enjoy the holiday.

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I stand by my statement
CookieMan......you remember, of course, that old song by Kenny Rogers with words about knowing when to hold 'em, knowing when to fold 'em and all that...
Remember the last line..........."and know when to run".
Pardner, this forum will never listen to a thing about CTE except to toss out ridicule. You're wasting your time and mental energy. Time to run, my man.
Just leave it all to Stan. His upcoming information is of blockbuster quality and will shatter myths, half truths, and hand-me-downs, while upsetting the world of pocket billiards like never before.
Just let him handle it all. The plans are just wonderful !
I quit on trying to reason with these people a while back. Stuck 'em all on ignore and the peace and quiet is something to behold.
Take care.
Life goes on.
:thumbup:

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The example problems are academic and not how balls come off the rails.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Au contraire mon ami. CTE would work just as well to pot balls on any of the tables.

I think this is wrong. Hal, Stan and CTE practitioners say the fundamental reason that CTE works is because of the 2:1 ratio of the table. Care to rephrase?

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I fail to see how the dimensions of the table could be required to be 2:1 for any aiming system. At any given time to make ANY shot you are using just a small fraction of the table. As long as the angles on the table are four 90 degree angles in the corners I just don't see how playing on a square table would be any different, since when making any shot you rarely use very much of the table at all.

If I had the ability to draw it up, which I may, I just don't see how a straight shot or a 15/45/90 into a corner pocket on ANY square or rectangular table would be any different visually or physically than any other. The physics of the balls, rails and pockets, as well as the felt and chalk would remain constant. A cut to any certain angle would remain constant.

I often do Tor Lowry's half table pattern drills, I make most every shot I attempt while doing this. How is this possible when on a 2:1 table, using half the table means I am on a 1:1 table, but all of the cuts, banks and straight in shots go in just like they do when I am playing full table patterns, same hit, same stroke and same equipment??? By the logic of a table HAVING to be 2:1 for aiming to be precise...it theoretically should not be possible, right?!

I can see whereas banks and kicks would be affected, but most of the typical shots used in pool, I would bet I could make on any rectangular surface.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I fail to see how the dimensions of the table could be required to be 2:1 for any aiming system. At any given time to make ANY shot you are using just a small fraction of the table. As long as the angles on the table are four 90 degree angles in the corners I just don't see how playing on a square table would be any different, since when making any shot you rarely use very much of the table at all.

If I had the ability to draw it up, which I may, I just don't see how a straight shot or a 15/45/90 into a corner pocket on ANY square or rectangular table would be any different visually or physically than any other. The physics of the balls, rails and pockets, as well as the felt and chalk would remain constant. A cut to any certain angle would remain constant.

I often do Tor Lowry's half table pattern drills, I make most every shot I attempt while doing this. How is this possible when on a 2:1 table, using half the table means I am on a 1:1 table, but all of the cuts, banks and straight in shots go in just like they do when I am playing full table patterns, same hit, same stroke and same equipment??? By the logic of a table HAVING to be 2:1 for aiming to be precise...it theoretically should not be possible, right?!

I can see whereas banks and kicks would be affected, but most of the typical shots used in pool, I would bet I could make on any rectangular surface.

I agree....we could even play on a round table, or pocket balls on an expansive plane with a hole in it and no rails/cushions or borders at all. Look at the hole, look at the cb/ob relationship needed to send the ob to the hole. This should work with fractions, ghostball, Samba, cte, contact points, etc.....

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I fail to see how the dimensions of the table could be required to be 2:1 for any aiming system.
Maybe you’re not familiar with Magical Aiming Forum rules. This is a Safe Space where making sense can cause extreme anxiety and aggressive reactions. Please refrain from it.

pj
chgo