Break Controversy at Canadian Open

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK This match is double hill deep in Canadian 9 ball open.
Winner plays Alex for winners side final.

I see it was obviously a legal break. Cmon there was balls going in and flying all over the table. but Daigle insisted on stopping the stream to check .

thats why it ends and starts again later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V0rfzjHuFU&feature=youtu.be&t=14320

A total move. And I just feel he deserves to be called out.
Who agrees?(or disagrees)

To see the end go to the begining of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcxyH-_OXcQ

Daigle goes on to win.
Unless you speak french you wont understand all the cussing after the match:eek:

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Wow. After watching this, you’re finding controversy where none should have existed. If Theriault is upset with anyone, it should be himself. He had 3 innings to win that last game. If being “sharked” after the break was his downfall, he needs to work on his mental game. Martin tried his best to give that last rack away.

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow. After watching this, you’re finding controversy where none should have existed. If Theriault is upset with anyone, it should be himself. He had 3 innings to win that last game. If being “sharked” after the break was his downfall, he needs to work on his mental game. Martin tried his best to give that last rack away.

OK but the point is that by sharking your opponent you get into his head and throw him off his game.He gets angry and his stroke tenses up and he misses.
Especially at double hill to go the winners side final the pressure is already there to begin with.
Sharking is about messing with your opponents concentration.
Now maybe that prolly wouldnt work on Alex or SVB but on a lower ranked pro it might.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
OK but the point is that by sharking your opponent you get into his head and throw him off his game.He gets angry and his stroke tenses up and he misses.
Especially at double hill to go the winners side final the pressure is already there to begin with.
Sharking is about messing with your opponents concentration.
Now maybe that prolly wouldnt work on Alex or SVB but on a lower ranked pro it might.

Theriault lost. And it had nothing to do with Daigle wanting to check if it was a legal break. In fact, Martin actually gave him BIH during the rack. He didn’t close the deal. Martin missed again.

Your post seems like clickbait, honestly.

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Theriault lost. And it had nothing to do with Daigle wanting to check if it was a legal break. In fact, Martin actually gave him BIH during the rack. He didn’t close the deal. Martin missed again.

It wasnt click bait honestly and yes Theriault blew his chances.
The match had really tightened up so Daigle messed with him. Got in his head.
How do you know his loss had nothing to do with Daigle wanting to check if it was a legal break?
I think it pissed him off so he fell apart.Whos fault is that?
I dont agree that TT should be able to take the sharking.
The thing is sharking distracts your opponent.
Who eventually won or who lost is not the point.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
How do you know his loss had nothing to do with Daigle wanting to check if it was a legal break?

And I don’t think he sharked him. I think he was genuinely questioning whether it was a legal break. Martin identified the ball in the side, and the 7 going 3 rails. He didn’t know if a third ball made it or not.

You’re making absolute statements about Martin’s intent. And you don’t truly know it. So before you make a comment about someone’s character, you may want to base it on fact instead of opinion and conjecture.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Nine ball can be a strange game....

Tom Theriault just escaped a almost sure loss with Brad Poorman...at hill-hill...
...Poorman had the nine almost straight down the rail and played the nine in the side instead...
...at a very shallow angle, and missed.

So now Tom gets to play his nemesis again.....
....and beat Martin 11-3....:eek:

He’s playing Alex now for the title.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
Nine ball can be a strange game....

Tom Theriault just escaped a almost sure loss with Brad Poorman...at hill-hill...
...Poorman had the nine almost straight down the rail and played the nine in the side instead...
...at a very shallow angle, and missed.

So now Tom gets to play his nemesis again.....
....and beat Martin 11-3....:eek:

He’s playing Alex now for the title.

But....did Martin try to shark him?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
12-9 Alex....Tom is looking nervous....just dogged a six ball.
13-9 Alex

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... A total move. And I just feel he deserves to be called out. Who agrees?(or disagrees) ...
If you're going to call or try to call a three-point violation you better be watching the balls closely. Anyone who was watching that break with even a little bit of attention had to see two balls whiz into and out of the kitchen. In addition it was the one ball that was pocketed. The one ball does not whiz around the table on most breaks and it certainly didn't on that one.

So, should there be a rule that if you object and your objection is not supported by video your opponent gets ball in hand?

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Nope! Gotta learn that nothing else that lead up to the shot that you are shooting now matters at all. You have to only live in the present, not the past or the future. There is only executing the shot that lays in front of you. I would have taken the break afforded to me to collect my thoughts and focus myself to the task at hand and only the task at hand. It took me a long time to learn this lesson but I am glad that I did.

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to only live in the present, not the past or the future.
Easier said than done.I wish :smile:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
You have to only live in the present, not the past or the future.
Easier said than done.I wish :smile:

"Get out of your head and into your experience." Try that on for size and you'll live a more fulfilling life! :smiling-heart:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree. This guy got BIH and was running out. By that point, what happened on the break was a non-issue. Why he tried to jam the 8-ball in the side from that sharp angle and go back and forth across the table with the cue ball for shape on the 9-ball made no sense. All he had to do was to softly roll the CB with a little outside (right spin) to cut the 8-ball in the side, and he'd of had an easy cut shot on the 9-ball in the corner to win the match.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're going to call or try to call a three-point violation you better be watching the balls closely. Anyone who was watching that break with even a little bit of attention had to see two balls whiz into and out of the kitchen. In addition it was the one ball that was pocketed. The one ball does not whiz around the table on most breaks and it certainly didn't on that one.

So, should there be a rule that if you object and your objection is not supported by video your opponent gets ball in hand?

I'd make it unsportsmanlike loss of game and opponent has the option of continuing with bih or breaking again.

In this case since it was hill/hill it would be loss of game and match.