Need help to organize/prioritize my skills development

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
I've been trying to decide lately if I should buy a jump cue or not. And this has led me into a bigger area of thought where I'm trying to figure out the best way to organize and prioritize my practice time. In other words, what should I work on now and when should I say that skill/shot X is good enough and move on to other things.

The jump cue is a good example. I'm not very good at kick shots so should I get better at kick shots before moving to jumping?

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong... I've been focusing on "depth" (i.e., trying to build up the skills/shots I have while neglecting the ones I don't) instead of of breadth, where I have approximately the same skill level with more shots/techniques/etc.

What do you recommend for your regular students?

Thanks
-matthew

rrick33

Rick
Silver Member
The only thing a jump cue is going to do is get you out of a bind every once in a while.

If you're playing competitively and have a need for a jump cue then get one and work with it.

In the hierarchy of value, it's very low on the list since it is required infrequently; nonetheless, in tournament play it can be the difference between going home and advancing.

If you're still working on the key aspects of performance like establishing a pure stroke, alignment, shot selection and position play, then I would spend more time in those areas since they will dominate 90% of your performance, while the jump shot scenario will only come into play about 1% of the time.

It's really just a balancing act based on where you are in the advancement of your game and how much you would benefit from having this tool in your arsenal for competitive purposes.

I will say that if you compete a lot and get frustrated when you lose a game that you felt you should have won, then you probably should get familiar with the jump shot.
It's a terrible feeling to lose a match when you know you could have won if you had the jump shot down.

Last edited:

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
That puts it in perspective. Thanks!

(I'm going to ignore jumping for a while.)

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matthew, here's what I would say to any student of the game: If you compete, or plan to compete in any leagues or tournaments where jump cues are allowed, then you should make it a priority to get one and learn to use it.

Last edited:

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Matthew, here's what I would say to any student of the game: If you compete, or plan to compete in any leagues or tournaments where jump cues are allowed, then you should make it a priority to get one and learn to use it.

Thanks Fran.

We are allowed to use jump cues. About half the people in my league have either a break/jump or a dedicated jump cue. About half of those people are effective when they use it. That of course is their problem and something I try to exploit when I'm playing them.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
In this order:

PROCESS
STROKE
ALIGNMENT
SPEED
P.E.P

Jumps and Kicks are way down the line.

randyg

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Fran.

We are allowed to use jump cues. About half the people in my league have either a break/jump or a dedicated jump cue. About half of those people are effective when they use it. That of course is their problem and something I try to exploit when I'm playing them.

Wow, I'm surprised to hear that. Jump cues are relatively easy to learn how to use. A little practice goes a long way with a jump cue.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Wow, I'm surprised to hear that. Jump cues are relatively easy to learn how to use. A little practice goes a long way with a jump cue.

They're able to get the cue ball off the table but I think they choose poor shots. For example, the object ball is on a rail and they end up bouncing the cue ball off the table. Or the landing area for the cue ball is too small and the cue ball lands on an obstructing ball.

In any event, there are some "jumpers" that I'm safe making marginal safeties against and some jumpers I am not.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They're able to get the cue ball off the table but I think they choose poor shots. For example, the object ball is on a rail and they end up bouncing the cue ball off the table. Or the landing area for the cue ball is too small and the cue ball lands on an obstructing ball.

In any event, there are some "jumpers" that I'm safe making marginal safeties against and some jumpers I am not.

Well, there is a learning curve involved. But those are some really fundamental errors you're referring to. Sounds like they're not bothering to practice with it. Some pool rooms frown on practicing jump shots. Jumping can leave marks on the table. The perfect place to practice jump shots is on a table with a cloth that's about to be changed. Then you can jump and not worry about the marks.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Thanks.

So none of the things in your list have a clear-cut end. At what point do you say, "Ok, I can move on to the next set of skills"?

OK

Skills are broken down into three areas.

MENTAL
PHYSICAL
PSYCOLOGICAL

First you must learn to control the Body which in turns controls the cue stick which in turn controls the cue ball. Let's refer to this as our Stroke.
(aka PROCESS-STROKE-ALIGNMENT-PEP)

Next we have to learn to control our Mind. There is a time to Think and a time to Stroke.
(aka PROCESS & Our three Pre-Shot Routines)

Next we have to learn to control our Attitude.
(aka EMOTIONS control MOTIONS)

Finally all the other things will be easy to install.
(aka JUMP-KICK-BANK-DRAW-FOLLOW-STOP & TANGENT LINES-ECT)

I find most players are real good at understanding the last stages and real poor in the first stages.

How can we move on until we understand all the stages.

randyg

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Outstanding description Pops! This post, by itself, should be a sticky for anyone who really wants to improve their pool game! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

OK

Skills are broken down into three areas.

MENTAL
PHYSICAL
PSYCOLOGICAL

First you must learn to control the Body which in turns controls the cue stick which in turn controls the cue ball. Let's refer to this as our Stroke.
(aka PROCESS-STROKE-ALIGNMENT-PEP)

Next we have to learn to control our Mind. There is a time to Think and a time to Stroke.
(aka PROCESS & Our three Pre-Shot Routines)

Next we have to learn to control our Attitude.
(aka EMOTIONS control MOTIONS)

Finally all the other things will be easy to install.
(aka JUMP-KICK-BANK-DRAW-FOLLOW-STOP & TANGENT LINES-ECT)

I find most players are real good at understanding the last stages and real poor in the first stages.

How can we move on until we understand all the stages.

randyg

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
If you want a jump cue, get one. It's not really an either/or proposition, though. If you want to play at a competitive level, you can do quite well without ever having to jump; but you have GOT to know how to kick to a certain level of proficiency. You'll run into way more kick shot requirements in an average set of 9 ball or 10 ball than you will jump shots.