Valley Forge 9 ball event.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I has no problem with splitting the prize money, but I would also support a tournament director requiring all matches be played to be paid.

Josh is damn solid, but I agree that he is still a step below pro. I beat him in a race to 9 tourney in 2012 and I got effectively no chance against the pros. I'd think he has the same win probability over the pros as I do over him, about 1/6- 1/8.

There are the same statements- pro or not- about the winners of this event every year. You bet the winner plays good pool, it is a tough tourney.

Josh has not been playing near as much pool the last few yrs , however he has won several pro am events and Josh at full speed on a Diamond Bar Box has a much better chance than the odds you are giving ,,

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people show up thinking they have a decent shot to make it to the finals.
Some show up thinking they have a decent chance to cash.
Some people want to have a good time.
Obviously, if the math isn't right for you, you shouldn't play.

But to those who feel the need to complain about good players cause they don't play good enough to compete or make any money...

GO PRACTICE!!!!

You mean quit your job and play all day like a pro..because that's what your competing against in the "amateur" tournament at the expo lol I don't think this tournament was called and amateur tournament? (maybe I'm wrong) So in this tournament I would expect to play pro level players .. I'm just personally not driving to philly to do it in a bs single elimination tournament.

deadnutz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Josh has not been playing near as much pool the last few yrs , however he has won several pro am events and Josh at full speed on a Diamond Bar Box has a much better chance than the odds you are giving ,,

I have to agree. At full speed on a diamond barbox he can play with just about anyone. I'd love to see Allen Hopkins run a "winners of the SBE" tourney and invite them all back to play ith a decent prize fund. Not only do I think Josh would make a run at winning it he might just win the damn thing! I know there were a few monsters over the 20+ years of winners but on top of his game Josh can play. He won the juniors division a few times in a row and the open amateur (I believe) the first time he played in it. Allen, if your reading please consider something like this........ It would draw a crowd.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well, I don't want to play him every day on my own money...but having played him prob 4 or 5 times over the last decade or so and there being less than 10 games difference between us overall, I still think I can win 1/6 sets.

Like I said, he is damn solid. But I am not pool-tarded either!

De$action

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jb

There is no doubt josh can play but my no means is he a pro. I'm not saying that in gear he can't play with the pros because he can for sure. The truth of the matter is josh isn't playing as much as he once did and his never considered his self a pro. He has bills and a fam. Just like the majority of us out there so he is unable to devote his self at this time. So let's just congratulate the guy he deserves it!! I would love to see josh stay devoted strongly to pool for a year and I mean strongly travel etc. if that ever happens the world better watch I know what the guy is capable of and with a bit of confidence he would be extremely tough.

jscar81

Registered
I agree 100%. That's not a small time local event. If I were the director I wouldn't have allowed it to happen. That's flat out ridiculous .

CSykes24

www.coreysykes.com
Silver Member
My favorite quotes from stronger players around here:

If you weight, you don't need action, you need practice.

Weight until you play better.

I am certainly a player that enters even local tournaments for the experience and fun. I guess if you don't play at least your not one of the guys that plays then whines about how it's not fair.

Congrats to the players that finished high... There was a local guy around here that finished 9-16.... He doesn't play near josh and guys like that but he's got heart and plays great. It is JUST a BAR BOX !!

What local?

CSykes24

www.coreysykes.com
Silver Member

lol, okay. Let's have a gathering of pro's and Josh playing on a diamond bar table, and I'll give you the "odds" you're looking for, which apparently you believe are better than 6:1. You're effectively saying he's going to win ~17%+ of the time, which is a complete joke.

And don't act like the Pro-Am at the Expo is the toughest field of pro's in a bar table tournament. Everyone left in the Pro 10-Ball wasn't in on this.

He's a disgustingly good player, but your statement is pretty lolworthy at being 5:1 or better at winning. Especially in Best 2 out of 3, Race to 5/6 format.

I have to agree. At full speed on a diamond barbox he can play with just about anyone. I'd love to see Allen Hopkins run a "winners of the SBE" tourney and invite them all back to play ith a decent prize fund. Not only do I think Josh would make a run at winning it he might just win the damn thing! I know there were a few monsters over the 20+ years of winners but on top of his game Josh can play. He won the juniors division a few times in a row and the open amateur (I believe) the first time he played in it. Allen, if your reading please consider something like this........ It would draw a crowd.

It would be amazing, til they did a 4 way split of the money and sold the trophy for scrap metal!!

Pool players...

super195v

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The local player was Clint Murray (Tiny) from about 40 minutes from Valley Forge

And he owns his own business and works probably 50+ hours a week, still enters these tournaments and works his butt off to play well in them no matter who he plays...ran through Bruce Nagle after Bruce beat Dan Madden this weekend.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The local player was Clint Murray (Tiny) from about 40 minutes from Valley Forge

And he owns his own business and works probably 50+ hours a week, still enters these tournaments and works his butt off to play well in them no matter who he plays...ran through Bruce Nagle after Bruce beat Dan Madden this weekend.

:grin:

Tiny plays good and has won a lot of money in team events this past year.

A lot for an ameteur...and more than a lot of women pro players.:eek: