Johan ruijsink usa captain 2017

JCoukos

Registered
Mosconi Cup 2017

Let's face the facts

Mark Wilson was a complete FAIL

He said all the right things, tried all the rights things, has all the knowledge of the game but definitely a no go. Results couldn't be worse, time for a change, you can only rearrange the chairs on the Titanic for so long.

Johan would be a welcome addition IMO, a proven winner. Challenge me with someone else that has winning credentials in Mosconi Cup. Yes, I would say a Johnny Archer is maybe the only guy that I would trust at the helm. Why not a Johnny? I don't know, is it a political thing?

USA desperately needs guidance

What say u?

Last edited:

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
wow

As a person who's attended about 8 past Mosconi Cups, I am hugely disappointed in this choice and will most likely not attend the 2017 MC.

First off, I agree with SJM that the causes of USA's lack of success run deep and cannot be remedied by a simple coaching change - especially when that coach only wields influencee for a few weeks of the year.

Secondly, there are sports that have employed foreign coaches in international competition (soccer immediately comes to mind). However, there is one critical difference; in every one of those cases, it is the COUNTRY itself that makes the decision to hire the foreign coach - not some independent organizational body - let alone one that is based in the oppositions homeland! For matchroom to assign JR to coach the USA team is insulting. I see little difference between this and Matchroom assigning a couple of Pinoys as USA's wildcard picks.

But what the heck, this is Matchroom's party, they can do whatever they please.

Very sad.

bear0478

Always learning..........
Silver Member
Reading between the lines...........total business move.

In my opinion (which isn't worth squat) a move like this reeks of a business decision by Barry Hearn to eventually incorporate more teams into the Mosconi Cup. If a non-American leads Team USA and has positive outcomes it could lend to more cross border acceptance to make the teams as competitive as possible.

We've all read the threads stating maybe the teams should incorporate more players such as opening up the possibility "North" America instead of just USA......also possibly an Asian team etc...etc.. I can see Barry Hearn looking to the future (especially how the market is in Asia) and trying to make the Mosconi Cup more of a global event. Obviously it would be a money maker and potentially the next biggest event to the WPA World Nine-Ball that repeatedly brings out the best players in the world.

I think having Johan Ruijsink as a captain is very progressive move in this format and could be what Team USA needs. Afterall it is 2017 lets be open to new ideas opposed to going back to ones that have failed in the past.

Overall, there is room for growth in the sport we all love. If Barry Hearn could bring it to the level of Darts or Snooker I think we'd all be better off. Pool players on a global level could make a proper living at it and propel the sport to higher tiers.

Anywho......... I guess we'll see how it all plays out......

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
USA desperately needs guidance

No the USA needs professional pool players, of which they only have 1.

Might as well let Thorsten, Appleton, Mika, and Shaw play for team USA, add SVB in to pretend it is "Team USA".

Quite a joke.

I wonder if Matchroom ever glances at this forum, or if they realize the views in here represent a fairly significant percentage of people that support their content?

#CompleteFail #TeamEurope1VsTeamEurope2 #OfficialEndOfTeamUSA

dawgcpa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mosconi

Another reason to not watch the circus that is the Mosconi cup.... maybe they know the Americans don't watch and they are trying to draw more European viewers. The players are just puppets put out there to dance.

Next year let's get more European players on the US team as well...

Justin Bergman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amazed how many arrogant people have to comment and think they are 100 percent correct and they are dead wrong.. Not one American can do it? Pshh 😂😂 so stupid..

I think Johan is a nice guy and qualified to be the coach but to say there isn't 1 American that would be a good coach shows how much you know. We only have 1 real pro?😂😂😂😂

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member

Might as well let Thorsten, Appleton, Mika, and Shaw play for team USA, add SVB in to pretend it is "Team USA".

Quite a joke.

I wonder if Matchroom ever glances at this forum, or if they realize the views in here represent a fairly significant percentage of people that support their content?

Shane is the only pro? Lmao
Comon now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Hey Justin,

Hope you are well. Question, would you play if you are selected next year?

I'm curious how you feel about a Euro Captain coaching the American Team.

Seems a little hokey to me and that they are just trying to make a storyline.

Some guys would be cool with it and go with the flow.

But I suspect others would say hell no.

What say you??

Amazed how many arrogant people have to comment and think they are 100 percent correct and they are dead wrong.. Not one American can do it? Pshh 😂😂 so stupid..

I think Johan is a nice guy and qualified to be the coach but to say there isn't 1 American that would be a good coach shows how much you know. We only have 1 real pro?😂😂😂😂

PocketSpeed11

AzB Long Member
Silver Member
I'm obviously in the minority, but I think he is a great choice. It is not an unusual sight to see a foreign coach in the Olympics. So why not the Mosconi?

I would only be a little surprised if Team USA this year included European-born players who now reside in the USA. Once again, if it's done in the Olympics then why not the Mosconi Cup?

Justin Bergman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mean it's Matchroom's event, they can do what they want. Do I think it was a smart move no... Everyone acts like MC is dying or losing interest and it's far from the truth. They sell out a year in advance basically and selling more tickets every year. I haven't been around long enough to see all of it but I know for the last 7 years it's been growing and been talked about, hyped more than ever each year. Nobody talks about the U.S. Open or World 9 Ball like this a year in advance. I think it would be crazy to cancel MC, it's one of the only exciting things left in pool. Matchroom is a lot more business smart than me for sure, I'm just a pool player. I see good and bad in this... I think they meant well but they have received a ton of negative feedback for this decision. I definitely think Nick Varner, Archer, etc would have been a great choice... I still wanna win Mosconi as bad as anyone, I know some U.S. players have basically given up but I haven't.... And we're not allowed to gamble or bet if we play but if I'm not on the team and not to sound cocky I would definitely play any 5 Americans so I think the team might be weaker without me... I'll still bet on USA getting 5 points on the wire going to 11 lol that's crazy yeah I know they won 11/2 and I J Shaw just beat Nikos 11/1 so what it's pool... Novak Djokovic just lost to a no named pro tennis player in the Austrailian Open.. It's sport it happens.... Mosconi Cup is tied 11/11 after 23 years and a tie

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
First, I don't feel that one can compare the MC to the Olympics.

And second, could you imagine Red Auerbach dismantling the Lakers in the 1960's and then coaching them in the 1970's after he retired from Boston??

Makes no sense to me

I'm obviously in the minority, but I think he is a great choice. It is not an unusual sight to see a foreign coach in the Olympics. So why not the Mosconi?

I would only be a little surprised if Team USA this year included European-born players who now reside in the USA. Once again, if it's done in the Olympics then why not the Mosconi Cup?

Justin Bergman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly tough to compare pool to soccer or football. I can't pass the cue ball to Skyker or Shane😂... Pool even at Mosconi Cup is still a single person sport. Even in the doubles where it is a team your still shooting the shot by yourself obviously your partner may prefer to shoot a shot but your still out their by yourself. Jut my opinion, I think Mark caught to much heat for us losing not his fault. No imagine if this happens USA wins 2017 MC Johan and Matchroom are going to look like geniuses.

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member

I think there is a big difference between a country deciding for itself to employ a foreign coach for their national team vs. an organizing body assigning the foreign coach.

Could you imagine the reaction if the IOC and FIBA began assigning US basketball coaches to the rest of the world because they haven't been very competitive lately?

But this highlights the fact that the MC is not a real competition contested by two independent sides, it is an exhibition created, financed, and controlled by Matchroom. And as such, it is their party.

PocketSpeed11

AzB Long Member
Silver Member
I think there is a big difference between a country deciding for itself to employ a foreign coach for their national team vs. an organizing body assigning the foreign coach.

Could you imagine the reaction if the IOC and FIBA began assigning US basketball coaches to the rest of the world because they haven't been very competitive lately?

But this highlights the fact that the MC is not a real competition contested by two independent sides, it is an exhibition created, financed, and controlled by Matchroom. And as such, it is their party.

Great point and it leads me even more to believe that not all of the Team USA players this year will be American-born. Ruijsink is just the beginning, in my opinion.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Quite a joke.

Well that's enough from the Canuck's opinion's if anyone has one that's you and he just decided to quit

In any head to head we would beat you guys to a drum and throw away the sticks period

You have zero dog in the fight so stay on the porch where you belong

Celtic

Silver Member
Not one American can do it? Pshh 😂😂 so stupid..

I think the only people out there saying Johan is the only one who seems capable to "maybe" coach the USA is Matchroom.

The reason people on this thread are commenting on this idiocy is because Matchroom is getting a non-American to coach team America, it is freaking ridiculous Justin.

Celtic

Silver Member
Well that's enough from the Canuck's opinion's if anyone has one that's you and he just decided to quit

In any head to head we would beat you guys to a drum and throw away the sticks period

You have zero dog in the fight so stay on the porch where you belong

I have about as much in this as you do with your team America being coached by a Euro now~

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Value of a Coach. ~ Bert Kinister

When my friend Ralf Souquet says, “Best coach ever,” I sit up and take notice.

He was talking about someone whom I knew well, but had not connected with in several years—Johan Ruijsink, the non-playing captain and coach of Europe’s Mosconi Cup team. What is there about a man who can bring together players from four different countries, with four different languages to form a cohesive battle unit that laid waste to the best of American players?

I first met Johan in 2002 in Cardiff, Wales at the World Tournament. We were introduced by Niels Feijen, a student I had been working with since he was a teenager and Mosconi Cup MVP. We struck up an immediate friendship and I agreed to return to The Netherlands with him to teach in his poolroom. I was with the great Arubian champion Ditto Acosta. The three of us set out from Cardiff to Northern England in Johan’s old Volvo.

Not always driving on the correct side of the street, our very merry band made it to an old hotel in the north of England where we spent the night in very cramped uncomfortable conditions made worse by Ditto’s, AKA: El Snorizo, unbelievable snoring. Johan and I never got any sleep, none. In the morning we drove onto the giant catamaran that would ferry us and our car—along with 500 others—to The Netherlands later that day. With over one million horsepower the trip did not even take three hours, clearing Customs was another story.

Finally on the road to Johan’s home, night club and pool room in The Hague, we coasted in under cover of darkness with no brakes, no gas, no sleep and there they were waiting—I do not know for how long—eight to 12 young men acting like a drill team, waiting to learn pool.

I worked with them as long as I could before I had to sleep. In the morning I woke to Johan’s beautiful wife’s face getting me up for breakfast.

That is when I began to understand how great coaches create themselves.

While Johan was out getting an assortment of cheeses for breakfast, his wife, an Olympic swimmer, related that Johan was ex-Dutch Special Forces, an expert in discipline and teamwork. This explained all of the eager teenagers waiting for us in the middle of the night, and Johan’s tireless work ethic.

Johan must have been born with the joy that he brought to the game.

After spending several days teaching with Johan and his friends, I went on to fulfill teaching engagements all over Europe. Johan went on to work tirelessly, and for very little financial reward, bringing his discipline, work ethic and, did I mention, joy to his students from the youngest players in the Netherlands and Europe to the Champions of today.

For Johan it has been a 12 year road to success, so when Ralf Souquet says, “Johan Ruijsink is the best coach in the world,” I believe him.

http://www.sneakypetemafia.com/the-value-of-a-coach-bert-kinister/

I'm all for great coaching and I think any professional player that works with Johan will emerge better than ever. This has a lot of upside for our players.
If a great American instructor, bert kinister, believes Johan is the best coach in the world, then he's perfect for American pool at this time.