Shane Van Boening's new cue

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Today, I had a chance to hit some balls with SVB's Cuetec cue which is a carbon fiber composite cue/shaft. He was at the BCA Expo in New Orleans and offered to let me hit some balls with it. He said it was his regular playing cue.

He plays with the extension connected to the cue and it must weight close to 21 ounces.

After 2 shots, I was making or coming very close with my signature shot for testing the cue ball deflection. I really didn't hit many shots with the cue and haven't hit any balls for a few days but I had no trouble playing with it.

I asked the senior Cuetec representative if they would be making a 30" shaft and he quickly replied that they will be making whatever the market demands. So, I don't think they will be shy about making a 30" shaft.

Shane's cue is 12.5mm at the tip. It also has a weight bolt in it and the cue extension is quick and easy to add or remove.

I believe they said the cues might be ready by the end of the year or first of the year. I'm not positive on that.

Just thought you might be interested in knowing some of the details.

Oh yeah, Shane is ready to get his new Larson boat in the water. You can tell that he REALLY likes fishing because his eyes light up when he talks about fishing. :)

Good ambassador for the sport and a great asset for a sponsor. He was keeping busy talking with all of the event goers but seemed to be a professional at handling customers and prospective customers for Cuetec.

If I go back before the end of the week, I might try to hit some more with his cue because I am as always intrigued by good equipment.

ON a side note, Bob Jewett was in town, looking for a Carom room. I told him I didn't remember the name of the one I went to recently but told him the location and in a few minutes, he conjured up the name and told me. Lol

JoeyA

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... ON a side note, Bob Jewett was in town, looking for a Carom room. I told him I didn't remember the name of the one I went to recently but told him the location and in a few minutes, he conjured up the name and told me. ...
I found it with my smarty phone. Those things are amazing. Some of them even take pictures. (Platinum Billiards was the answer.)

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can a guy walk in off the street and check out the show? I'm landing there tomorrow and have a couple of hours before I head to the fishing lodge, can I buy my way in?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can a guy walk in off the street and check out the show? I'm landing there tomorrow and have a couple of hours before I head to the fishing lodge, can I buy my way in?
Do you have a billiard-related business card? In general the public is not allowed in. You may be able to see the junior tournaments -- I don't know if any ID/pass is required to get in to that -- and you can see the show floor from the tournament area.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, but I have a printer.....maybe I will just try to sneak in. It would be cool to check out the new stuff.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Today, I had a chance to hit some balls with SVB's Cuetec cue which is a carbon fiber composite cue/shaft. He was at the BCA Expo in New Orleans and offered to let me hit some balls with it. He said it was his regular playing cue.

He plays with the extension connected to the cue and it must weight close to 21 ounces.

After 2 shots, I was making or coming very close with my signature shot for testing the cue ball deflection. I really didn't hit many shots with the cue and haven't hit any balls for a few days but I had no trouble playing with it.

I asked the senior Cuetec representative if they would be making a 30" shaft and he quickly replied that they will be making whatever the market demands. So, I don't think they will be shy about making a 30" shaft.

Shane's cue is 12.5mm at the tip. It also has a weight bolt in it and the cue extension is quick and easy to add or remove.

I believe they said the cues might be ready by the end of the year or first of the year. I'm not positive on that.

Oh yeah, Shane is ready to get his new Larson boat in the water. You can tell that he REALLY likes fishing because his eyes light up when he talks about fishing. :)

Good ambassador for the sport and a great asset for a sponsor. He was keeping busy talking with all of the event goers but seemed to be a professional at handling customers and prospective customers for Cuetec.

If I go back before the end of the week, I might try to hit some more with his cue because I am as always intrigued by good equipment.

ON a side note, Bob Jewett was in town, looking for a Carom room. I told him I didn't remember the name of the one I went to recently but told him the location and in a few minutes, he conjured up the name and told me. Lol

JoeyA

Very cool, Joey.
Got any photos?
Thanks for the input.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
No, but I have a printer.....maybe I will just try to sneak in. It would be cool to check out the new stuff.

If you have any kind of business card you can get in. Just go to registration and tell them you are thinking of opening a room and you can buy a pass.

You might not even need the business card.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have any kind of business card you can get in. Just go to registration and tell them you are thinking of opening a room and you can buy a pass.

You might not even need the business card.

Thanks. I'm gonna check it out.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

JoeyA

Hey Joey, Another great champion of his sport that LOVED fishing was Ted Williams. I had the opportunity to chat with him for the better part of 30 minutes one day. He told me he played baseball so he could afford to go fishing. Like SVB when Ted talked fishing he lit right up!

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ted n fishing

Ted Williams caught over 2,000 Atlantic salmon and I think it was with a fly rod, just how strong is that!

If Shane likes fishing he should contact me and fish Alaska! I have a home table and will play him even for...……..

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless the carbon shaft is significantly lighter than the r360, the overall weight including the extension must be heavier than 21 ounces. I shoot the r360 and the extension and it definitely feels heavier than 21 oz- probably around 24

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless the carbon shaft is significantly lighter than the r360, the overall weight including the extension must be heavier than 21 ounces. I shoot the r360 and the extension and it definitely feels heavier than 21 oz- probably around 24

Getting out a weight bolt should not be so much of a problem.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Joey, Another great champion of his sport that LOVED fishing was Ted Williams. I had the opportunity to chat with him for the better part of 30 minutes one day. He told me he played baseball so he could afford to go fishing. Like SVB when Ted talked fishing he lit right up!

Ted had a sears line ,, Ted WIlliams Game Fisher ,, he also had a commercial in the boat rocking it back and forth showing its stability .

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you have a billiard-related business card? In general the public is not allowed in. You may be able to see the junior tournaments -- I don't know if any ID/pass is required to get in to that -- and you can see the show floor from the tournament area.

Yes they need passes for that, I think mostly because of the show and the guards checking passes all the time. When they had them in pool halls there were no passes needed. However, the BEF passes do not normally get you into the main floor at all times. That was changed after the first few BCA / BEF events. I am no longer going to the tournament since my son is too old this year, but that is how things were run past few years.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ted Williams caught over 2,000 Atlantic salmon and I think it was with a fly rod, just how strong is that!

If Shane likes fishing he should contact me and fish Alaska! I have a home table and will play him even for...……..

Where in Alaska are you? I fished Sitka for five years but moved to the Orca Lodge on Langara island in BC the last two. I was there two weeks ago and one of our guides told me the fishing in Sitka this year was absolutely horrible. Said the Kings were really late showing up. Is that true or was he just telling fishin stories?

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I was talking with Ted I asked him, pound for pound, fresh or salt what fish is the strongest. Without blinking he said steelhead! I laughed and told him I had had been spooled by steelhead with an 8 weight set up! He asked where I had fly fished for steelhead and on we chatted about steelies. Great guy and loved fishing.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

23.3 oz with extension is what his white cue he has been using weighted on that TAR video with Efren's cue coming in at little over 21 oz.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think the opposite.
I think the market, probably close to 90%, buys "regular" sized cues and they will stay at 29" shafts.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I was talking with Ted I asked him, pound for pound, fresh or salt what fish is the strongest. Without blinking he said steelhead! I laughed and told him I had had been spooled by steelhead with an 8 weight set up! He asked where I had fly fished for steelhead and on we chatted about steelies. Great guy and loved fishing.

I'll go with Bonito